Touch up paint. Does it work?

This is a discussion on Touch up paint. Does it work? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I have a couple chips out of my hood. I have been looking at getting some of the touch up ...

2000 Trans Am

Touch up paint. Does it work?

I have a couple chips out of my hood. I have been looking at getting some of the touch up paint that is sold at auto zone etc........ Has anyone ever used this? Is it hard to use and is it really worth it?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

I have bought some of the black stuff. just make sure that you get the kind for your paint job designated by manufacturer. I used it on some of the lower parts where I scuffed the crap out of the paint. I also used just a drop on the hood. You have to be VERY careful because it pools easily and does not like to spread flat quickly. you might try letting it set in the car during the day and then going out and using it once it's warm. I had mine in the house and that could have been my issue in retrospect.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I bought a touch up paint from the dealership. I would recommend buying GM paint touch-up. Matches the best. I had a couple of chips on the hood as well. The GM touch-up comes with a bail-point applicator. It works great with little chips. I washed my car first, then applied it to the chips. Let the paint sit there for about 2 weeks. Then washed my car, polished and waxed it really good, and it blended in with the original paint really well. That's the best way, IMO.

CLG82, btw.. I saw your posted picks of the new wheels and they look awesome...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I bought a touch up paint from the dealership. I would recommend buying GM paint touch-up. Matches the best. I had a couple of chips on the hood as well. The GM touch-up comes with a bail-point applicator. It works great with little chips. I washed my car first, then applied it to the chips. Let the paint sit there for about 2 weeks. Then washed my car, polished and waxed it really good, and it blended in with the original paint really well. That's the best way, IMO.

CLG82, btw.. I saw your posted picks of the new wheels and they look awesome...
    Thanks buddy I appreciate it I absolutley love them!!! How much did the touch up paint kit cost and is it noticeable when you look at the touched up spots?

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Thanks buddy I appreciate it I absolutley love them!!! How much did the touch up paint kit cost and is it noticeable when you look at the touched up spots?
    I think it was about $13 at the dealership. It's a small bottle that is a brush and a pen. Read the directions carefully on the bottle before you use the pen.

Since you know where the touch up spot is, you can notice it. Only when your really close to the car. But from about 2 feet away, you're not going to notice it. I think it depends on the size of the chip as well. If it's pretty large, I would take it to a paint shop.

2000 Trans Am

thanks man I appreciate the help! the chips aren't too big but I notice them cause I am picky about that kind of stuf. thanks again- chris

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I used some and it worked great, couple tips. Never set bottle on car, EVER. Came so close to tipping it over, luckily nothing spilled out, nearly had a heart attack though. The roller ball thing on mine clogged almost immediatly. Check over whole car and get every little scratch now while you can, my bottle dried up so fast it was ridiculous.

If you can't afford the touch up paint, avon is having a sale on nail polish, just ask the lady which color goes best with your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    If you can't afford the touch up paint, avon is having a sale on nail polish, just ask the lady which color goes best with your car.
    WTF - Nail polish.... I hope you're joking..

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    WTF - Nail polish.... I hope you're joking..
    Not really. It will at least protect the chip from getting worse. I used clear polish on my headlight cover when the paint was starting to flake off. Stupid rock....didn't even know the chip was there until I was spraying the car off and it lost a small piece of paint. The nail polish kept it minimal until I could get the whole cover repainted.

Like others have said...don't use any touch-up paint other than GM stuff.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

They also make a kit that smooths the touched up spoy after it has dried. You know how the touched up spot is always higher then the surrounding paint? this stuff levels it out and makes your repair even less noticable:

http://www.topoftheline.com/scuff-remover-touch-up.html

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    They also make a kit that smooths the touched up spoy after it has dried. You know how the touched up spot is always higher then the surrounding paint? this stuff levels it out and makes your repair even less noticable:

http://www.topoftheline.com/scuff-remover-touch-up.html
    Has anyone tried this before and does it work?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Has anyone tried this before and does it work?
    I have, and also tried the blob remover (touch-up magic). It's a kind of a tedious process. You have to fill-in the chip in increments of a little bit at at time. You fill-in then allow the paint to settle in the cavity, then apply until it's flush with the rest of the paint. The blob remover helps in "cleaning up" the area after it has hardened for 20-30 minutes. It should come with a plastic razor blade to help you run it across and level it off. A lot of patient is required to do this, not bad, just need to take your time when doing this
    I did this on my own car, and the results weren't as good as I was hoping. I think what I'll do next time is wetsand the paint flush carefully, and then hit it with the buffer

Another tip, make sure the cavity is nice and clean, free of oil, waxes for it to adhere better. I'd recommend a wipe down of 50/50 (IPA/Water)

Depending on how big the area is, and if you want to protect the surrounding area from getting paint, you can dab a little bit of chapstick around it, without getting into the chip cavity you're treating
    HTH...
    ~Goose
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 06-11-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Thread Information