black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

tips for black paint

i have always payd to have my cars detailed and now im gonna start doing it myself, my 99 TA has a beautiful black paint job but last weekend i washed it like normal then waxed it with just regular old meguires car wax and buffed it with a microfiber cloth and now when the sun hits it, it has those horriable swirl marks all over it. Anyone got anytips on what i did wrong, ive waxed cars before on my own but never on the BLACK TA... i just purchased the turtle wax black box today to give it a try cause these dang swirls are driving me nuts.... can u guys please help

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

First tip, are you washing with the 2 bucket method? Soap in one bucket, rinse the washing device in another bucket? That keeps debris from getting in the washing device and swirling your paint.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Like Preston indicated, it could've been caused during the wash...
    Did you use a new/clean mf towel?

A couple of tips:
    When you apply wax by hand, try applying it in a front to back motion on horizontal panels, and in an up and down motion on vertical panels. Just as long as you don't use the traditional circular morion, you'll have better results. Up and down or side to side is far better
    Remove/buff out the same way.

At this point, there's no much you can do to fix it without having it machine-buffed
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 03-27-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Subscribed. My black paint is in need of a good detail as well...

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport346 View Post
    Subscribed. My black paint is in need of a good detail as well...
    Unfortunately, black paint is tough to keep looking good.
    All you can do is minimize the introduction of swirls by following a good washing technique.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I used a liquid paint sealant made by a company called wizards goes on and comes off easies that anything at Autozone. Ban but it at most auto paint supply stores. They also make a greay spray wax for small finger prints. It's actually hind minor swirls if yu put 2 coats on. You can do it by hand or use a random orbit buffer. Best bet if find a buddy with a buffer who knows what he's doing to deswirl the car. I do alot of black cars. I'm not on the porta cble fan club. I use a dewalt rotarty buffer with 3m products and pads and wizasds sealand or butter waz on weekend cruisers and for cars going to shows. Only lasts a few washes but the shine is amazing on blacks. Stick with a porta cable style buffer if your not a pro because a dewalts will burn paint fast in the wrong hands. I taught my helper how to wet sand and buff cars and I had to do a few fender repaints.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    1999 trans am

You could just paint it pewter and you will never be able to see swirls or dirt ahahaha.... I hate my black paint for that reason. Just take it back and pay them to get rid of the swirls. Try your luck one more time after the problem is corrected. Make sure you use the two bucket wash method and only use clean wash mitts, wax applicator pads, and whatever you are using to dry it. One other thing some people do is use two different wash mitts. One for the top portion of the car and one for the bottom.

black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

i honestly dont no what i did wrong i used the 2 bucket wash method and washed the car with a microfiber spongs, im thinking uits cause i used a towel to dry it and that caused the problem, i just got through washing it agian and aplying turtle wax black box (for the first time) and the results are amazing, i just dont no how long they will last.

Black
    1999 trans am

If the towel was not 100% cotton or a microfiber towel then yes that could be the problem.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Microfiber Microfiber Microfiber...Dont leave home without it!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Like Preston indicated, it could've been caused during the wash...
    Did you use a new/clean mf towel?

A couple of tips:
    When you apply wax by hand, try applying it in a front to back motion on horizontal panels, and in an up and down motion on vertical panels. Just as long as you don't use the traditional circular morion, you'll have better results. Up and down or side to side is far better
    Remove/buff out the same way.

At this point, there's no much you can do to fix it without having it machine-buffed

I take it that not only waxing it, but washing it in an up/down and front/back method may also help reduce swirl marks... is this right?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I take it that not only waxing it, but washing it in an up/down and front/back method may also help reduce swirl marks... is this right?
    yes.

I know a company called Dodo Juice makes a "dark wax" called Blue Velvet which might be of some value to those who aren't privy to machine polishing. For about the same price you could land yourself a bunch of Zaino products which have filler agents and last a good while.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is that what "swirl remover" products do -- just fill in the imperfections a bit?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Actually if you use the 3m swirl remover on a dewalt buffer it actually removes the marks from compunds or car washes.
    My truck b4 and after light compound, swirl remover and glaze.
    http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...6/Detail%20TB/

Black
    94 hawk a4 02 hawk vertm6

Some microfiber towels(cheap) will scratch too. A easy way to check them is with a blank cdr. Take your towel in question and apply the same pressure and technique on the cdr and check for scratches. A leaf blower will work better than a towel when drying it off too. Check out autopia.org or detailcity.org. you will find everything you ever wanted to know about detailing/correcting your finish. Good luck and post pics of your work before and after.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by slphwk1 View Post
    Some microfiber towels(cheap) will scratch too. A easy way to check them is with a blank cdr. Take your towel in question and apply the same pressure and technique on the cdr and check for scratches. A leaf blower will work better than a towel when drying it off too. Check out autopia.org or detailcity.org. you will find everything you ever wanted to know about detailing/correcting your finish. Good luck and post pics of your work before and after.
    I prefer to jump in the car and take it out of the neighborhood and hit 100mph. Dries up real quick.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I use one of those absorbers in the plastic tube you can get at a parts store or walmart. Never had any scratching issues with it on my car or customers.

Thread Information