Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tip for polished wheel owners

This is a discussion on Tip for polished wheel owners within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by squeals99 well i have a powerball... like the big one... but im almost set on going to ...

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by squeals99 View Post
    well i have a powerball... like the big one... but im almost set on going to auto zone and getting a mini because ive heard great things about them... and the big powerball will work well for the fronts of my wheels, but the inner lip part would prob. do a lot better with a mini...
    I would get a mini. The big one sucks for most wheels its just to big to get at any kind of spoked wheel, it does how ever work very well for the inside barrel of the wheel.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Are your CCW's polished aluminum or Chrome?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Are your CCW's polished aluminum or Chrome?
    Polished aluminum

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Throw the powerballs away! I have a mini and its fallin apart after a few uses. I talked to a guy at the Ducktale Run (a huge classic car show) who sells professional metal polishing tools and he laughed when i asked him about the powerball. If you need to really "polish" your wheels or anything aluminum, get some jewler's rouge and a hard buff bob, then use a compound and a buff goblet. All available from Eastwood http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...Cat=434&page=2
    Highly recommended!
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    Throw the powerballs away! I have a mini and its fallin apart after a few uses. I talked to a guy at the Ducktale Run (a huge classic car show) who sells professional metal polishing tools and he laughed when i asked him about the powerball. If you need to really "polish" your wheels or anything aluminum, get some jewler's rouge and a hard buff bob, then use a compound and a buff goblet. All available from Eastwood http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...Cat=434&page=2
    Highly recommended!
    O.K., but you are using terms that I have never heard of. What is a Buff Bob and Buff Goblet? I do not see those terms on the link you supplied?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Polished aluminum
    Y2K, I have been told that polished aluminum wheels are hard to maintain. Several people have told me that you have to polish them just about every couple of weeks. Is this so?

Will Zoop Seal help prevent having to polish the wheels so much?
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 11-06-2007 at 03:51 PM.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

a hard buff bob is a very tightly woven polishin tool (i think it made from cotton) that goes in your drill like the powerball. its used with the jewler rouge to do more aggressive polishing than just your mothers polish or neverdull would do. the buff goblet is for finish polishing, like the powerball, but is made with better materials. Just cruise around that metal polishing section in my link and youll find all this. eastwood has many different variances on these products and compounds to fit what your are polishing.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Y2K, I have been told that polished aluminum wheels are hard to maintain. Several people have told me that you have to polish them just about every couple of weeks. Is this so?

Will Zoop Seal help prevent having to polish the wheels so much?
    They are extremely hard to maintain. If my car wasn't a garage queen I would go have regretted buying them to be honest with you. I kept my chrome Z06 wheels just in case I ever did have to drive in bad conditions also and would recommend the same thing for anyone else who spends the money on high dollar polished wheels.

The Zoop does cut down on the amount of polishing, but you still have to polish them. There is a big misconception about Zoop. Zoop does not mean you don't ever have to polish. Zoop prevents oxidation but you still have to polish. I pull mine off usually once a month to polish them, barrels and lips.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    They are extremely hard to maintain. If my car wasn't a garage queen I would go have regretted buying them to be honest with you. I kept my chrome Z06 wheels just in case I ever did have to drive in bad conditions also and would recommend the same thing for anyone else who spends the money on high dollar polished wheels.

The Zoop does cut down on the amount of polishing, but you still have to polish them. There is a big misconception about Zoop. Zoop does not mean you don't ever have to polish. Zoop prevents oxidation but you still have to polish. I pull mine off usually once a month to polish them, barrels and lips.
    Oh, wow!

Red
    94 Pont. Firebird Formula

ya i almost regret getting my polished aluminum wheels, but i also dont regret it haha...
    i regret it because my car is my DD, and being in college i dont really have the time to clean my car twice a week or so... and my apartment complex doesnt have anywhere to wash it, so it gets ungodly expensive to take it to a power washer, and i will never touch a brush to my car as long as i live, so the clean is never as good as it could be at home...
    but i dont regret getting them because no matter how dirty they are, they still look better than the stockers that were originally on the car...

Black
    2005 GTO

ya i almost regret getting my polished aluminum wheels, but i also dont regret it haha...
    i regret it because my car is my DD, and being in college i dont really have the time to clean my car twice a week or so... and my apartment complex doesnt have anywhere to wash it, so it gets ungodly expensive to take it to a power washer, and i will never touch a brush to my car as long as i live, so the clean is never as good as it could be at home...
    but i dont regret getting them because no matter how dirty they are, they still look better than the stockers that were originally on the car...

I've got the same exact problem, Work 50 hours a week DD my car, no where to wash the car at apartment. I can take it to my parents which is 20 miles away but after a long day I usually don't feel like it, so it has to wait untill I have a full day I can dedicate to cleaning which is pretty rare. I do keep a bucket, soap and a wash mit for the wash it your self car wash. I hose the whole car down fill the bucket with water and soap. Wash the whole car then rinse. It cost more since you have to put your quarters in twice but like you I will not touch one of those nasty brushes to my car. It not the same as if I had it at home to wash and do a full detail but it gets the job done.

Red

haha yep i have a bucket and thing of soap in the back of my car too! but ya i hate filling up the bucket with the pressure washer... i get so soaked and there is no good way to do it

Black
    2005 GTO

haha yep i have a bucket and thing of soap in the back of my car too! but ya i hate filling up the bucket with the pressure washer... i get so soaked and there is no good way to do it
    That and people look at you weird.

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

anyone besides me use 0000 steel wool and turtle wax chrome polish or ever tried that and mabye the mothers polish

Red

yeah i tried the steel wool and polish... but i couldnt get the shine... it did look cleaner, but it just made it a hazed clean look... i need to go home this weekend and try to clean the car up again... cuz my lazy ass didnt do it last weekend...

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

I have polished wheels that have a ton of brake dust and corrosion NOTHING seems to work sending out to re-polish at 150. per wheel is not affordable what can I use? HELP!

Red

well... yesterday i just tried usin a motherball and the mothers billet polish... i expected that it wouldnt work because every other polish i have used didnt work... and i just did it in one spot on the car... i was so impressed that i am gonna take all the wheels off this week and take my time and do it all... you should try it... i can put pics up too when i get done, but it may not be until next week before the pics get up

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

I'll try the same and let you know.

Red

alright this weekend i swear i'm gonna do this lol...
    rain or shine... or snow in my case i guess...lol... i will have this done
    hopefully my friend will let me in his garage to do all of this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information