Results 1 to 12 of 12

Swirl Removal?

This is a discussion on Swirl Removal? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Ok... so as some of you may know... I just had my car painted Kandy Blue... and since I try ...

  1. #1
    Member BlueMagicSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Age
    29
    Posts
    295

    Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

    Swirl Removal?

    Ok... so as some of you may know... I just had my car painted Kandy Blue... and since I try to keep it clean as much as possible I end up having swirl marks... which wax or wash or procedure will get rid of these and keep me from being disgusted by them???????

  2. #2
    Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fresno Ca
    Posts
    2,228

    LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagic08 View Post
    Ok... so as some of you may know... I just had my car painted Kandy Blue... and since I try to keep it clean as much as possible I end up having swirl marks... which wax or wash or procedure will get rid of these and keep me from being disgusted by them???????

    Wish i had an answer for you. I have pewter so do get them. Goose should have one of the best answer for you check back in the morning. Or shot him a pm.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    195

    Red
    98 Trans Am Ws6

    The safest way is to get a dual action polisher, Use Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and use an orange pad, followed by Menzerna Final Polish and use a white pad. If the swirls are minor the Final Polish should be all you need.

  4. #4
    glimmerglassdetailing.com
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    98

    Topaz Blue, White
    2002 BMW M3, S10 Xtreme

    If you plan to wash a lot, the key to keeping the swirls down to a minimum will rely on your wash routine. I probably wash mine on average of once every 10-12 days and only need to polish the car once a year. For washing, heres your best bet to keep swirls at bay...

    2 bucket wash method. One for clean water, one for rinse water.
    Use at least one grit guard.
    Use a sheepskin wash mitt (microfiber mitts do a terrible job at releasing debris imo)
    Use a foam gun. This will put a layer of foam/soap on the surface and reduce the chance of wash induced marring.
    Finally, use a microfiber waffle weave drying towel (one or two)

    Foam Gun
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/foamgun.html

    Wash Buckets:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/5gawabu.html

    Grit Guards:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/gritguard.html

    Sheepskin Wash Mitt:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/shwami.html

    Soaps:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html

    Drying Towels:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/drying-towels.html


    Then from there, as garver mentioned, a dual action polisher will be your safest bet for cleaning up those swirls. Typically, if its just light swirling, you can do something like optimum polish. This is a versatile product, and as a result, you can use it w/ an orange pad for more aggression or to finish, on a white pad.
    Heres a package w/ some optimum products:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opuldemapa.html
    or the udm by itself:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/uldema.html

  5. #5
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by garver View Post
    The safest way is to get a dual action polisher, Use Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and use an orange pad, followed by Menzerna Final Polish and use a white pad. If the swirls are minor the Final Polish should be all you need.
    I think that might be a bit overkill at this point. With a fresh paint job you should be able to remove the swirl marks by hand with any decent swirl remover. Not that a dual action polisher would't be better but if you don't have one to use, I would think by hand you could accoplish what you are after which is a swirl free car.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs


    Sold 01 z28

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    195

    Red
    98 Trans Am Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I think that might be a bit overkill at this point. With a fresh paint job you should be able to remove the swirl marks by hand with any decent swirl remover. Not that a dual action polisher would't be better but if you don't have one to use, I would think by hand you could accoplish what you are after which is a swirl free car.
    Most likely, they should b minor. the Super intensive polish will be too much polish so the final polish would be more applicable. I would buy the final polish first and if it doesn't work, move to the more coarse polishes.

  7. #7
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Imo if you are into your car enough to spend the money on a new paint job you should have a dual action polisher and all the associated products (pads, polishes) to go along with it. As mentioned above having the proper washing tools are a must as well.

  8. #8
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    If you plan to wash a lot, the key to keeping the swirls down to a minimum will rely on your wash routine. I probably wash mine on average of once every 10-12 days and only need to polish the car once a year. For washing, heres your best bet to keep swirls at bay...

    2 bucket wash method. One for clean water, one for rinse water.
    Use at least one grit guard.
    Use a sheepskin wash mitt (microfiber mitts do a terrible job at releasing debris imo)
    Use a foam gun. This will put a layer of foam/soap on the surface and reduce the chance of wash induced marring.
    Finally, use a microfiber waffle weave drying towel (one or two)

    Foam Gun
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/foamgun.html

    Wash Buckets:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/5gawabu.html

    Grit Guards:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/gritguard.html

    Sheepskin Wash Mitt:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/shwami.html

    Soaps:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html

    Drying Towels:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/drying-towels.html


    Then from there, as garver mentioned, a dual action polisher will be your safest bet for cleaning up those swirls. Typically, if its just light swirling, you can do something like optimum polish. This is a versatile product, and as a result, you can use it w/ an orange pad for more aggression or to finish, on a white pad.
    Heres a package w/ some optimum products:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opuldemapa.html
    or the udm by itself:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/uldema.html
    LMAO...you have a topaz....i thought i was the only one with a topaz as a DD

  9. #9
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    If you plan to wash a lot, the key to keeping the swirls down to a minimum will rely on your wash routine. I probably wash mine on average of once every 10-12 days and only need to polish the car once a year. For washing, heres your best bet to keep swirls at bay...

    2 bucket wash method. One for clean water, one for rinse water.
    Use at least one grit guard.
    Use a sheepskin wash mitt (microfiber mitts do a terrible job at releasing debris imo)
    Use a foam gun. This will put a layer of foam/soap on the surface and reduce the chance of wash induced marring.
    Finally, use a microfiber waffle weave drying towel (one or two)

    Foam Gun
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/foamgun.html

    Wash Buckets:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/5gawabu.html

    Grit Guards:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/gritguard.html

    Sheepskin Wash Mitt:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/shwami.html

    Soaps:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html

    Drying Towels:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/drying-towels.html


    Then from there, as garver mentioned, a dual action polisher will be your safest bet for cleaning up those swirls. Typically, if its just light swirling, you can do something like optimum polish. This is a versatile product, and as a result, you can use it w/ an orange pad for more aggression or to finish, on a white pad.
    Heres a package w/ some optimum products:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opuldemapa.html
    or the udm by itself:
    http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/uldema.html
    Some good advice here but IMO a Orange pad with SIP is way too aggressive for a new paint job that cant have but minor swirls at this point. I do agree with using a white pad with Menzerna Nano polish. Jon B mentioned removing swirls by hand- I dont see the point of busting your ass for no reason and getting lackluster results(not trying to be a dick though bro). A da polisher with the proper pad will produce excellent results with minimal clearcoat removal.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 07-16-2008 at 06:10 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Great advice. As Chris mentioned, a good washing technique will keep your finish from getting swirled
    Also, the most efficient way to remove swirls is with a buffer, and some menzerna polishes (SIP) one of my favorite and most trusted polishes I've ever used
    Those are the facts unfortunately. That said, since you're looking for an alternative to doing it by hand, there are a couple things you could try:
    3M 39002 (rubbing compound) available at NAPA is a good choice by hand or by machine and it's in my opinion the best you can get over the counter
    The other one is the 3M-39009 for dark colored cars. It's a bit less agressive than the 3M-39002, more like for light swirl marks
    The best products are available online, but there's one brand I use from time to time that is as good as it gets; Duragloss. You can get the Duragloss-101 or the 105 for your final wax/sealant available mostly at Carquest and they're fine products and durable as well...

  11. #11
    Junior Member WhiteFormula98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2

    White
    1998 Firebird Formula

    Rubbing compound works miracles

  12. #12
    Junior Member artie634u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Oregon
    Posts
    39

    Indigo Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS6

    Cool This is good!

    Try 3M Perfect It ll. I got great results with it. It is made for darker colors.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Removing Swirl
    By FMBL in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM
  2. What causes Swirl Marks?
    By ls1camino in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
  3. Help: swirl marks
    By Pony_Eater in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
  4. swirl marks?
    By CamaroKurt in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM
  5. How do I remove swirl marks ?
    By Speedy_Gonzales in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •