Thread: Stressful Day

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Stressful Day

Sorry guys, but this is the only place I know with a collection of people who care about their cars.

Driving home today, I'm cruising at 65 mph in the slow lane, and the car in front of me drives over a license plate. Well, it shoots out from underneath the tire like a cannon, hooks like a boomerang, and hits my front fender.

At this moment, I'm absolutely pissed because I keep my car looking its best, all the time. I pull off on a side road, and guess what is awaiting me? A 2 foot long scratch.

I regain my composure and head home. On the way back, I remember the success I had with removing scratches with 3M Rubbing Compound. So I go inside and grab a bottle along with some microfiber towels. After 20 minutes of rubbing, I had 95% of the scratch removed.

But I'm left wondering, why, of all the cars to hit, was it mine? I would put myself in the 10% of car owners who are obsessed with how it looks. I wipe it down on my lunch. I clean the air vents with q-tips for god sakes. Why my car?

I can't complain though, only a slight imperfection remains which I can live with.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

everything happens for a reason, maybe you'll be even more careful with your car now and avoid something bad that may have happened if you werent even more careful, idk

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    everything happens for a reason, maybe you'll be even more careful with your car now and avoid something bad that may have happened if you werent even more careful, idk
    lol. Trust me, there is no way to avoid somethign like this. I left about 4 car lengths between me and the next car, was doing the speed limit, etc. It was just my time lol

Black
    2005 GTO

Wrong place at the wrong time thats the best way to eplain it. Not a whole lot you could do to avoid it shit happens. Sucks that it happened to someone that actually gives a crap about his car unlike the other 90% of people out there but there's not a lot you can do about it.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

It always happens to people who care about their cars. One of my friends had a mountain of snow land on their car when they were going under a bridge and didn't notice the plow truck going over at the same time. The whole top of the car looked liked it was hit with 100 rounds of bird shot from a 12 gauge shot gun. Busted up the windshield and everything.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Sorry to hear that, man. I know it sucks, but you can feel fortunate knowing there were many difference ways this could've turned out

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Sorry to hear that, man. I know it sucks, but you can feel fortunate knowing there were many difference ways this could've turned out
    Goose, after using the 3M Rubbing Compound and waxing, the paint from the license plate came off. Surprisingly, it didn't cut the paint, but rather dented it. By that I mean I have two linear indentations in the paint (not the body) running about 3". No paint is missing from the impact, so its hardly noticeable. But I think I'm SOL as far as getting those indentations removed - correct? They'd need to sand the area and repaint it to completely remove?

black
    1998 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    Sorry guys, but this is the only place I know with a collection of people who care about their cars.

Driving home today, I'm cruising at 65 mph in the slow lane, and the car in front of me drives over a license plate. Well, it shoots out from underneath the tire like a cannon, hooks like a boomerang, and hits my front fender.

At this moment, I'm absolutely pissed because I keep my car looking its best, all the time. I pull off on a side road, and guess what is awaiting me? A 2 foot long scratch.

I regain my composure and head home. On the way back, I remember the success I had with removing scratches with 3M Rubbing Compound. So I go inside and grab a bottle along with some microfiber towels. After 20 minutes of rubbing, I had 95% of the scratch removed.

But I'm left wondering, why, of all the cars to hit, was it mine? I would put myself in the 10% of car owners who are obsessed with how it looks. I wipe it down on my lunch. I clean the air vents with q-tips for god sakes. Why my car?

I can't complain though, only a slight imperfection remains which I can live with.
    The reason it hit your car is because you love and take such good care of it, instead of hitting some old peice of crap car it just had to hit yours, i REALLY know how you feal. yesterday i washed and waxed our srt8 jeep, it took me all afternoon, so we could take it to town looking good, along comes a gravel truck and gravel flew all over us , breaking the windshield, and hitting the hood. we chased the truck driver down and i bitched him out but they dont give a crap..

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by 98ws6-girl View Post
    The reason it hit your car is because you love and take such good care of it, instead of hitting some old peice of crap car it just had to hit yours, i REALLY know how you feal. yesterday i washed and waxed our srt8 jeep, it took me all afternoon, so we could take it to town looking good, along comes a gravel truck and gravel flew all over us , breaking the windshield, and hitting the hood. we chased the truck driver down and i bitched him out but they dont give a crap..
    Wow. I'd be pissed too. I'm sorry to hear about your SRT8, those are sweet SUV's.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    Goose, after using the 3M Rubbing Compound and waxing, the paint from the license plate came off. Surprisingly, it didn't cut the paint, but rather dented it. By that I mean I have two linear indentations in the paint (not the body) running about 3". No paint is missing from the impact, so its hardly noticeable. But I think I'm SOL as far as getting those indentations removed - correct? They'd need to sand the area and repaint it to completely remove?
    I know what you mean by those indentations. Depending on how deep they are, you could use paint to fill them in, then wet sand it flush. Or, as I said, depending on how deep they are, you can have a detailer look at them to see if it can be buffed to look better (blend them in) with a rotary buffer, and a wool pad

Blue
    04 Silverado

i got one,a couple years ago in my 01 SS i was at kroger parked far out in the lot,went to leave dude comes out of nowhere driving across the parking spots like a total dumbass,clips my front end,had to replace the front fascia,paint part $800

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I know what you mean by those indentations. Depending on how deep they are, you could use paint to fill them in, then wet sand it flush. Or, as I said, depending on how deep they are, you can have a detailer look at them to see if it can be buffed to look better (blend them in) with a rotary buffer, and a wool pad
    Will do! As always, thanks again for the expert advice.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Dude I lnow how you feel. I go outside last week and some asshole shot my car with a bb gun! 2 in my tail light and 2 in my rear finish panel. Needless to say my car lives inside now. Sorry to hear about your bad luck though.

Thread Information