Nero
    2006 gto

Special Paint Effects...

Anyone know if there are any kind of special paint effects that DONT require removal of the original paint job? Ive got an 06 Phantom Black Metallic GTO, and I want to keep it black. Im thinking of pearling [sp?] or making it iridescent. Is this possible? Has anyone done it with anything?

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

ive heard of people adding some pearl to some clear coat and spraying on some ghost flames, but havent seen it in person.

Nero
    2006 gto

Im checkin out online who has the best reputation for this kind of thing, and im finding it quite difficult. So far, I think this is the best page ::ironically, its the first to come up when you google 'pearl paint job'

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/

Im curious, does anyone have any recommendations for a HVLP Gun? Im considering doing this myself, after MUCH trial and probably a little error on something thats not my car.
    Also, does anyone know what kind of prep work this takes? Could I just throw a clearcoat or two over my original, then go with the instructions?

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

you need to wet sand the areas you want painted first with a 600-800 grit sandpaper... going in small circular motions with water running over the surface to keep the sandpaper from clogging up... a little dish soap in the water helps for the paper to glide more smoothly... you just need to sand until the surface appears dull when dry.. then you can put paint down or clear coat.. whatever you want.. the sanding just gives the new paint/clear something to grab to.

i use devilbliss gravity fed guns for larger projects and for airbrushing an iwata eclipse hb-cp

a smaller tip helps too... 1.0-1.3 for your larger gun

Nero
    2006 gto

Awesome. Thanks for the help man, all I need to do now is wait for this Godforsaken winter weather to end.

two tone

no problem the weather here's been abnormal.. some days it'll be hot.. once in awhile it'll be cold... we just crank up the propane heaters when we have to paint in the cold. be sure to take some pics when you go for it =)

Nero
    2006 gto

Any suggestions on a DIY (well in this case, DIM) Paint-booth setup? Im guessing this wouldnt be the best place to go cheap, because proper airflow is critical to even paint application. Most Ive seen (on SpikeTV) draw air from the ceiling to underneath the car. Im wondering if I can just do it in a neutral setting, such as a sealed garage. And I got a sweet Digital Camera for Christmas, so Ill be posting pics as soon as its done.

two tone

i've seen people seal up a garage and it's came out nice. there just might be more finishing work at the end.. more sanding/buffing than normal. have some kind of fan in there to move the air out... you'll mist everything if you dont have some kind of exhaust out lol.. and it'll be hard to see/breath. you can take a regular box fan and stick a house furnace filter on it

Thread Information