Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

so many products...

I've read as much in the detailing section as possible, and have been to the store to try and find what to use, but I am still very confused.

There are so many products, waxes, polishes, scratch removers, and all that other crazy sh!t to put it all on with.

I've never waxed a car before but want to take good care of my T/A...

can anybody please list what products to use and in what order? Thank you

'99 Trans Am Pewter M6
    St. Louis, MO
    Mods/upgrades: SLP lid-Longtubes-ORY-LM2 catback, drilled rotors&Hawk pads, MSD wires
    PITA: window motors+regulator, brass gear, DRL sockets X 7
    Soon: clutch, LS6 intake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know members here scream about SeaFoam. Many voted for Obama also.

Black
    2000 WS6

Listing of wax, sealant, carnuba, synth, swirl removers, glaze, and polishes applications is like asking which brand of gasoline do we prefer.....MANY CHOICES.

Car polishing before waxing is the trick behind attaining and maintaining that sought after showroom finish on your car. I mean an unsurpassed, deep, vibrant liquid color with shimmer. Washing is great, but it’s just a preliminary step. Car polishing is a thorough, deep cleaning for your paint, providing the best possible surface for wax. You see, washing removes caked on surface dirt, and waxing forms a protective layer over the paint, sealing in anything left behind by the wash.

I myself prefer Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish followed by Pinnacle Wax. Depending on the condition of your paint, you may consider claying first then polish and wax.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I like Pinnacle products as well. This is a great place to buy car detailing products.

I will give you a brief overview of what you need to keep your car clean/protected.

1) get (2) large buckets for washing your car and use them ONLY for washing your car. The first bucket is for soapy car wash water, the second bucket is for clean water. After washing one section of your car (such as your hood) you will wash your mitt off in the clean bucket of water before putting the mitt back in the bucket of soapy water. This keeps dirt out of your soapy water and helps stop dirt from being put back on your car.
    2) get a wash mitt- preferably microfibre I like the ones at walmart
    3) get some good microfibre towels for drying the car after washing it. Make sure the edges of the microfibre towels are silk or very soft. COBRA microfibre towels are very good(on the link above)
    4) choose a good car wash with lubricating oils in it so while washing your car the dirt isnt swirled into the paint. I use this DP or Pinnacle car wash. Both leave the car looking wet and shiny.
    5) Wash the car from top to bottom (do the roof first) and do one section at a time washing your mitt in the clean bucket of water before putting it back in the soapy bucket. I also reccomend that you wash your car in the shade or after the sun goes down-washing in direct sunlight causes the water on the car to dry which causes water spots.
    6) Make sure the entire car stays wet until you are ready to dry it. After washing the entire car take your hose and rinse it one more time. Take a small microfibre towel and wet it with the hose. Wring out the towel and start wiping the water from the roof-periodically wringing the water from the towel. Then take a dry microfibre towel and go over the section you just did with the wet towel until completely dry. Do one section at a time. Since flat surfaces dry faster I reccoment drying the car in this order-roof,hood,trunk,and then the rest.
    7) When you are done drying if you have any areas that happened to get a few water spots etc. you can use whats called a quick detailer-I use Pinnacle. Simply spray on and buff off with a clean microfiber towel.
    8) WINDOWS- I use STONERS invisible glass. You can get it at wal mart. I use regular paper towels.
    9) wheels- I usually wash my wheels before I wash my car with car wash soap and a small microfibre towel. Never use your car wash mitt on wheels and never use the same soapy water that you washed your wheels with to wash the car with. They make several small brushes to get in the tough spots on your wheels also. Make sure you get a brush thats made for wheels because they have special bristles that wont harm your wheels finish. I like to use tire dressing once I have completed washing/drying the car.
    There are several brands to choose from.
    10) POLISH- you need to polish your car before wax can be applied. I prefer PINNACLE car polish. It is applied with a foam pad. Some apply it in short back and forth motion in a striaght line until a complete section is covered with a THIN film of polish. Others prefer small circular motions when applying the polish.After completing a small section(follow directions) buff clean with a microfibre towel.
    11) WAX- after doing a complete wash on your car if your paint is in good condition and you have already done the entire car with polish then its time to put a coat or two of wax on it. I prefer PINNACLE wax. They make several and they are all good. Make sure you wax your car in the shade. Apply the wax very thin-a little goes a long way. Do one section at a time. Take the wax off by buffing with a clean microfibre towel. I prefer 2 coats of wax when I do it.

*** this is just a brief description of how to do things. Of course if you have swirls in your paint or other issues you are going to need to do paint correction before waxing your car. I am not going into all that here but here is a link to some great informative videos on swirl removal,using a buffer,interior car care, washing your car etc. Hope that helps on getting you started! Good Luck!!!!

Here is the link about washing,buffing, etc cars:http://www.auto-geek.net/video/pinnacle/Pinnacle.html
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 10-11-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor links

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

Thumbs up

thanks a ton breakneckspeed...thats exactly what i was looking for!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

No problem bud. You will find alot of good information at the website link I provided. They also have a forum (like ls1.com) to ask questions and talk about detailing etc. if you ever need it. Good luck!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I see he removed the links I gave you. OK I will send the links to you. You have to make 10 posts before I can do so.

I dont know of a sponser on this site that sells buffers, microfibre towels etc. and thats why I gave the link.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

yo breakneckspeed

looks like that link was editted out for non-sonsor link reasons. can you please PM it to me?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

just did- but you know- why would a link to a video showing how to detail your car be deleted????????????????? Thats BS. This site is supposed to be for helping people-thats what I was doing.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    just did- but you know- why would a link to a video showing how to detail your car be deleted????????????????? Thats BS. This site is supposed to be for helping people-thats what I was doing.
    I did remove the links, but didn't realize the second one was for a video. I apologize for removing the vid link, it was a mistake on my part and feel free to repost the vid link. The reason I removed the other link was it conflicts with one of the site sponsors.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

No problem Preston. I understand.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

the internet we use at work doesnt allow me to view videos, but i did check out the rest of that info. it's great help...thanks!

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Get the Meguiars complete line and do them in the steps they recommend.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Get the Meguiars complete line and do them in the steps they recommend.
    Are you talking about 3 step kit....

Love the step 2 Glaze. Excellent.........
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    Are you talking about 3 step kit....

Love the step 2 Glaze. Excellent.........
    Yes I am!

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

well i ended up using meguiars car wash, and then mothers cleaner wax...she looks great!!
    im considering getting a carnauba wax to put over that, is that neccessary though? has anyone else done that?

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    well i ended up using meguiars car wash, and then mothers cleaner wax...she looks great!!
    im considering getting a carnauba wax to put over that, is that neccessary though? has anyone else done that?
    It will make it look real nice

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yes I would top it off with a thin layer or two of Canuba wax. Or if you really want a shine like those guys at car shows have use a glaze then carnuba wax. Its a little more work but you will see a huge difference. The glaze has oils and ingredients that nurish the paint and give it that "wet" look.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

hahahahahahaha ^ he loves that stuff!!! hahahaha it is a great wax

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Up to this point, I'm still an avid user of Zaino products. I love the results I get from it. In the past, I've used Turtle Wax, Meguiar's, Finish 2001, 3M and others. One thing I noticed when using Meguiar's Carnuba-based wax is that it didn't last very long when in weather and I found myself applying it nearly every other week to keep the protection up.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information