Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Say no to chamois

This is a discussion on Say no to chamois within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; silicone water blade FTW!...

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

silicone water blade FTW!

2001 M6 SS - few mods...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I have a water blade but don't like a couple things about it.
    1. On the Camaro it doesn't get the water out of the various lines on the car like the hood very well.
    2. You still have to use something else to finish the job so why use it?
    I have a big problem with water spots if I don't get the car dry enough probably because of the hard water around here. Something like a chamois will work at reducing this to a minimum and wiping the car off removes the remaining dirt that always seems to remain no matter how thoroughly you wash it. And I do wash very thorough-drives other ppl crazy if they are watching haha- I am probably OCD

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

i normally use a combo of the blade, and a chamoi. alot of times i use compressed air.

sometimes ill let it drip dry if im gonna whacks it

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Chamois suck!! Today was nice so i decided to clean the trans am. My meguires water magnet had a tear in it so i threw it away, plus it was like 2 yrs old. I went to the auto part store and got a chamoi. Iv been looking for the water magnet forever but i cant seem to find it. The instructions said to rinse it out in water before the first use, but i was in a hurry and decided to use it w/o doing that. The fucking thing killed my paint!! It was all white full of streak marks and the yellow residue of the chamoi. It would not move off the car!! I had to litterally drag it with all my strength just to move it about and inch. Basically i had to blot the entire car. I had to take my quick detailer and use it all over the car to get rid of the marks. Any1 have any good advice tips on using them? Im gonna clean my moms car tommorow and ill follow the directions. (It says its best used when the chamoi is a little moist) and if it the same result, ill burn that mofo and order my water magnet. The water magnet was by far the best cleaining product i have owned, and i have a BLACK car.
    I just reread this-somehow I missed the part about you NOT rinsing it in water before using it. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahha- ok I feel better now.

Black
    99 Trans am Convertible

mr clean auto dry works great once u get the hang of it

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by shanepatrick1230 View Post
    mr clean auto dry works great once u get the hang of it
    Streaked my paint.

Black
    99 Trans am Convertible

i dont know what to tell ya, mine works good..

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by shanepatrick1230 View Post
    i dont know what to tell ya, mine works good..
    I had one of the Mr clean auto dry deals and it worked decent for a month or so then causes streaks etc. I put a new filter in and it still caused streaks. I even bought a new bottle of the Mr. Clen car wash thinking that may be the problem but it wasnt.

Also-the Mr. Clean car wash-is shit. I use car wash with essential oils in it to lubricate and prevent dirt from being grinded into the paint which causes swirls.

Black
    99 Trans am Convertible

well its obviously not the best product out there, but definitly solves the problem of having to dry the car

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

IMO it obviously BLOWS

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

swirls and scratches are 2 different things

a 'swirl' is something left behind when buffing. the paint surface is not even, and light reflects off it into different directions.

a scratch, particularly the very fine ones, 'angel hair' if you will, is what happens when you rub the finish with something abrasive.

so, for swirls, you need to polish the paint with a compound.

for very fine scratches. a good glaze and wax.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    swirls and scratches are 2 different things

a 'swirl' is something left behind when buffing. the paint surface is not even, and light reflects off it into different directions.

a scratch, particularly the very fine ones, 'angel hair' if you will, is what happens when you rub the finish with something abrasive.

so, for swirls, you need to polish the paint with a compound.

for very fine scratches. a good glaze and wax.
    WRONG
    If you are leaving swirls behind by using your buffer you are defeating the purpose of using a buffer. A buffer is used for paint correction-swirls/scratches/ or holograms( left by inexperienced "detailers"). The proper polish will remove scratches and swirls depending on what pad you use to buff with and its cutting power. The swirls on cars clearcoats is created from incorrect proceedures used while washing a car in most cases. Example-automated car washes, using the brush at a do it yourself car wash, using a car wash that doesnt have lubricating oils to protect the finish from dirt being grinded in while washing, using a "absorber" to dry the car, not using the 2 bucket system, using the wrong towels while drying and from an abundance of car washes over time no matter how much care you take swirls just occure.
    Before and LSP is put on a vehicle it should be swirl free from polishing- otherwise you are just "filling" in swirls/scratches with wax or glaze and when you do that the swirls.scratches will be back in a short amount of time.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 03-18-2008 at 09:55 PM.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

If you are leaving swirls behind by using your buffer you are defeating the purpose of using a buffer
    thats the same thing is said lethal

if you know how to buff, you wont swirl it, but there are a shit ton of n00bs that suck at buffing.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

thats the same thing is said lethal

if you know how to buff, you wont swirl it, but there are a shit ton of n00bs that suck at buffing.
    It definately has a learning curve and you can even burn through the clearcoat with the wrong pad and/or too much pressure. Its like anything else I guess-the more you do it the better you get.

- You work with Maxwax right? Thats cool. Keep up the good work

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

nice buffing smiley.

but yes, learning to buff and not fukk something up definitely takes some skill. ive burnt one or two in my day, but its usually on a crappy paint job that isnt very deep.

single stage paints suck to buff asswell. i hate people who ask you if you couldnt get that one out, particularly when its scratched to the metal

asshats.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

nice buffing smiley.

but yes, learning to buff and not fukk something up definitely takes some skill. ive burnt one or two in my day, but its usually on a crappy paint job that isnt very deep.

single stage paints suck to buff asswell. i hate people who ask you if you couldnt get that one out, particularly when its scratched to the metal

asshats.
    I bet whatever color single stage paint you are working on gets on your buffing pads huh? I would be scared to do a single stage- especially with a rotary buffer. My buffer is a dual action(it does circles and vibrates back and forth) so its a little harder to burn through.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

i use a dewalt rotary...depends on how bad the paint is, single stage usually just gets the foam pads which have to be washed afterwards.

then ive got 2 orbitals i can use to finish the paint smooth.

most single stage jobs are pretty thick, and theres no clear to burn through...you just end up with color-matched compound lol.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

i use a dewalt rotary...depends on how bad the paint is, single stage usually just gets the foam pads which have to be washed afterwards.

then ive got 2 orbitals i can use to finish the paint smooth.

most single stage jobs are pretty thick, and theres no clear to burn through...you just end up with color-matched compound lol.
    Do you ever use any wool pads?

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

i only break them out on the really bad stuff.

they swirl one like no other. you have to go through at least 5 other steps after a wool pad before you get the paint back right.

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    Chamois is kinda old school but still cool. Like has been pointed out-you have to get it wet first-then wring it out- kinda of seems like the wrong concept until you try it. Once it's been wrung out it soaks up water like a sponge, and a new chamois is as soft as a babies butt. They last for years on a car with a good paint job, but will tend to acculate debris on a car with flaws in the bodywork. Look out for dirt in the chamois like any kind of drying towel or sponge and you will be cool.
    If I want my car really clean I have been known to Instant Detail spray it down after a wash anyway so what's the beef?
    Exactly, I've used them for years without problems. They are somewhat hit and miss,,,some work better than others. I can't even remember the brand I have, but I keep one in every car for the occasional popup rain showers we get. My chamois are going on at least 15 years old or more.
    They are a godsend. And I agree, after I use one I generally go over the car afterwards with a spray detailer to bring the shine back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information