Thread: Rim fix?

Black
    2001 Ws6

Question Rim fix?

I was wondering if any one knows of a good way to clean rims I have some stains that are killing me and would love to get them out any help is needed.
    here are 2 pic's

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would start by trying a claybar....

Remember, those wheels have clear coat on them, so working with what works with paint would be the first step.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I had some similar spots like that on my Eagle 077s that were polished aluminum. I bought this stuff called "Nevr Dull". It comes in a silver/black can. Its a wadding type of material used for metal polishing It works great, but requires a lot of elbow if you know what I mean. Not sure if anyone has an opinion on this product or not, but it made my wheels look new again!
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I had some similar spots like that on my Eagle 077s that were polished aluminum. I bought this stuff called "Nevr Dull". It comes in a silver/black can. Its a wadding type of material used for metal polishing It works great, but requires a lot of elbow if you know what I mean. Not sure if anyone has an opinion on this product or not, but it made my wheels look new again!
    Completely different surface....

Stock wheels have clear on them, so you don't really want to use aluminum polish.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Makes sense. Guess you can always use a chemical stripper to get the clear coat completely off, clean them, polish them, then clear coat them again? worst case scenario if the clear coat doesn't allow you to get that out?

Black
    2001 Ws6

All i have done so far was powerwash them and you see the pic's. so claybar? what is it? how do you use it? were do I get it? thanks

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Makes sense. Guess you can always use a chemical stripper to get the clear coat completely off, clean them, polish them, then clear coat them again? worst case scenario if the clear coat doesn't allow you to get that out?
    A lot of guys actually have done this.

The factory wheels look a TON better without the clearcoat on them. Although it is a pain in the ass to do. Most don't re-clear them though, and just polish them 1-2 times a year. Once that clear is off, then they are polished aluminum just like the Eagle's you had. That is when I would recommend Mother's Billet.

Quote Originally Posted by War Theory View Post
    All i have done so far was powerwash them and you see the pic's. so claybar? what is it? how do you use it? were do I get it? thanks
    Checker/VatoZone/Advance

It is clay. You spray the clay 'lube' (which is basicly just quick detailer) on the surface to be clayed, then use the clay on it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Good luck!

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    A lot of guys actually have done this.

The factory wheels look a TON better without the clearcoat on them. Although it is a pain in the ass to do. Most don't re-clear them though, and just polish them 1-2 times a year. Once that clear is off, then they are polished aluminum just like the Eagle's you had. That is when I would recommend Mother's Billet.

Checker/VatoZone/Advance

It is clay. You spray the clay 'lube' (which is basicly just quick detailer) on the surface to be clayed, then use the clay on it.
    so this will get the clear coat off ?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

http://www.thepontiactransampage.com/clear.html

This is one thing I found online. You can do a google search yourself to see if you find a better article.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

It looks to me as if the chrome is chipping off and the only way to fix that is to get thrm redipped

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by War Theory View Post
    so this will get the clear coat off ?
    Claybar will not remove the clear coat. Claybar removes contaminants from the clear coat, giving you a nice clean surface to use PAINT polish to finish cleaning up the wheel. You treat clear coated wheels like you would your paint.
    Clay
    Polish
    Sealant (although you can use most sealants on polished aluminum as well)

Removing the clear is MUCH more involved than just using a claybar on it. The claybar would be the first step I would try to remove that spot...since that spot is on the clear.
    If you want to strip the clear coat, it will take much more elbow grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Numba1TA View Post
    It looks to me as if the chrome is chipping off and the only way to fix that is to get thrm redipped
    What chrome is there??
    Those are clear coated polished aluminum wheels.

Thread Information