Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Repolished wheels

This is a discussion on Repolished wheels within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by BIG GUNS do you just put mothers billet on the polishing wheel and then buff out with ...

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    do you just put mothers billet on the polishing wheel and then buff out with another wheel and rag?
    Wipe Mothers Billet on sparingly with a cloth and just hit it with the ball! No need to go back over with the cloth

Before

After

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by BluBeaSSt View Post
    I take one rag and buff it on, then take a clean rag and take it off with.
    Oh okay. I'm going to get a mesh wheel set also and see if I can put some on the wheel and then buff it out with a rag.

They do get water spotted something terrible and I'm hesitant to wet sand until I've tried a few different things.

They don't get real bad if you stay on top of them but, if you let them go for a bit, it is a bitch to get the water spots etc out.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Wipe Mothers Billet on sparingly with a cloth and just hit it with the ball! No need to go back over with the cloth

Before
    Click for full size

After
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Okay, thanks. I'll try that too.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I like the mothers ball also.

The trick to getting it to last is to read the directions. Higher rpms will cause it to shred really fast. I know from experience. Use low rpms, ie feather the trigger on your drill. To give you an idea, I spend at least an hour on each wheel. Apply with ball, remove with old towel, then go over one more time with clean spot on towel.

Last edited by Mike's TA; 01-05-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added Picture

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    I like the mothers ball also.

The trick to getting it to last is to read the directions. Higher rpms will cause it to shred really fast. I know from experience. Use low rpms, ie feather the trigger on your drill. To give you an idea, I spend at least an hour on each wheel. Apply with ball, remove with old towel, then go over one more time with clean spot on towel.
    The reason it will shred at high rpms is its made of cheap foam. I run any of the polishing goblets from the harbor freight kit at the highest rpms on my dewalt 18V cordless drill, and, at most, you get a little bit of "debri" when you first use em. Sorry, but imo, mothers is just covering theirselves and tellin you to run it at low rpms because they know the powerball falls apart easy. I'm not gonna sit there and baby my $25 powerball.
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 01-05-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    The reason it will shred at high rpms is its made of cheap foam. I run any of the polishing goblets from the harbor freight kit at the highest rpms on my dewalt 18V cordless drill, and, at most, you get a little bit of "debri" when you first use em. Sorry, but imo, mothers is just covering theirselves and tellin you to run it at low rpms because they know the powerball falls apart easy. I'm not gonna sit there and baby my $25 powerball.
    GULLETT. i got the harbor freight kit and used it on one of my dumptrucks with a 10 year old aluminum bed (never polished) on it worked real good and no probloms on high speeds, the only bad thing i can say about the kit is that the 3 bars they give you suck and dont do anything other them that the tools that come with the kit work just fine and dont fall apart

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

What's your thoughts on the RPM for best results? will higher RPM give you a better shine or maybe polish quicker.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post

Before
    Click for full size

After
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Man, I thought I was the only one polishing wheels in the house!

I also use the Harbor Freight kit as well as the powerball. The bolts in my three piece wheels chew up the powerball in a hurry. A mini-ball only lasts me one polish on all 4 wheels, two wheels, flip the ball, then the other two. after that, it's toast. I use the large ball on the barrels and between the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    GULLETT. i got the harbor freight kit and used it on one of my dumptrucks with a 10 year old aluminum bed (never polished) on it worked real good and no probloms on high speeds, the only bad thing i can say about the kit is that the 3 bars they give you suck and dont do anything other them that the tools that come with the kit work just fine and dont fall apart
    yeah its true you prob wont use the 3 bars of rouge. . . they are for more extensive polishing i believe (wish they had directions in the kit to tell what their for and how to use). i do use the white rouge when my aluminum gets much oxidation on it. however, i dont use those cotton goblets. i use one of the small buff bobs in the kit:

with my air rotary:
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 01-06-2009 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    What's your thoughts on the RPM for best results? will higher RPM give you a better shine or maybe polish quicker.
    well, in general, i think high rpms give you a better shine. if not a better shine, you just achieve a good shine faster. the one issue i have with high rpms is when i use the air rotary, buff bob, and rouge. the heat created while polishing for very long will sometimes cause the rouge to stick to the aluminum. and it can be difficult to remove the rouge after this. also, the heat can cause the buff bobs to "burn" inside. so if you smell them burning, stop and let em cool off if you are only using a drill, i wouldnt worry about your rpms being to high. . unless of course your using a powerball

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos366 View Post
    Man, I thought I was the only one polishing wheels in the house!

Click for full size

I also use the Harbor Freight kit as well as the powerball. The bolts in my three piece wheels chew up the powerball in a hurry. A mini-ball only lasts me one polish on all 4 wheels, two wheels, flip the ball, then the other two. after that, it's toast. I use the large ball on the barrels and between the spokes.
    so in your opinion does the large ball seem to last longer? the one i had did seem to last longer than the just flat out junk mini.

Has anyone had experience with the flitz ball and their polish? I have never used either.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Has anyone had experience with the flitz ball and their polish? I have never used either.
    I know that Flitz is good stuff. We used it on our titanium blast panels on jets in the Air Force and got it through the supply system in big cans.

Never heard of the Flitz ball. Is that something available through harbor freight or Eastwood?

I have to do something soon though since mine are starting to water spot stain and need some help before summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    I know that Flitz is good stuff. We used it on our titanium blast panels on jets in the Air Force and got it through the supply system in big cans.

Never heard of the Flitz ball. Is that something available through harbor freight or Eastwood?

I have to do something soon though since mine are starting to water spot stain and need some help before summer.
    yeah eastwood carries it. . . may be its just a kit theyve put together.
    http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

so in your opinion does the large ball seem to last longer? the one i had did seem to last longer than the just flat out junk mini.
    Yes, the large ball lasts a long time, for me at least. The one in the picture is the only one I've ever had. But, I only use it for the smooth areas on my wheels. the barrels and the inside of the spokes. The issue I have with the balls is when you have to rub them against a sharp edge, thats when they start to shred. I use the mini with the extender for the wheel lips where the bolts that hold the wheel together come through, and they go pretty fast.
    I did find a mini-ball replacement pack once, it had two mini-balls in it for $14.99, I bought two packages, but I haven't been able to find it again.

Red
    '01 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos366 View Post
    Yes, the large ball lasts a long time, for me at least. The one in the picture is the only one I've ever had. But, I only use it for the smooth areas on my wheels. the barrels and the inside of the spokes. The issue I have with the balls is when you have to rub them against a sharp edge, thats when they start to shred. I use the mini with the extender for the wheel lips where the bolts that hold the wheel together come through, and they go pretty fast.
    I did find a mini-ball replacement pack once, it had two mini-balls in it for $14.99, I bought two packages, but I haven't been able to find it again.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-5145-P...2687849&sr=8-6

^^^^are you looking for that?

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

^^^^^YES!! that's it! Thanks for that link! I've really only been looking locally, I don't shop too much on the interwebs...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I do mine in the living room too..... with the shown equiptment.....

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

very nice

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Ive got the mini power ball, and i have ''chrome" zr1's and i think there polished aluminum, so should i use the mothers powermetal ''Aluminum" or the ''Chrome'' stuff, same red bottle from in the pics..

Thanks
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information