Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

remove hard water from glass

This is a discussion on remove hard water from glass within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Here is a pic of what I have left. Yes it's the pro kit. Don't bother with the kit that ...

Here is a pic of what I have left. Yes it's the pro kit. Don't bother with the kit that comes with the sanding discs, that's for glass that has serious scratches.

You basically need the powder (a one pound container) and the buffing wheel. $50 sounds about what I paid for mine. Not sure of any other vendor that carries it other than Eastwood. But it's good stuff. I've done about 5 of our cars (all the glass) with it and still have 1/2 of the container left.

If you can buy the powder by itself you might save a little. You can substitute a small wool pad with a buffing wheel if you already have access to that. The tiny wheel it comes with (in the pic) is a bit easier to get up in the corners though.

Black
    2000 WS6

Get some CLR and apply it to the glass with a cloth.
    After that just clean with your normal glass cleaner.
    Throw on a coat of Carnuba wax after to repel bug strikes.
    The bugs will just flake off and nothing will stick to it for weeks.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

CLR won't do it for the real stubborn or etched in water spots. I tried that years ago. You'll need to polish the glass with the compound and buffer wheel.

I do recommend what you suggest however, to coat the glass with a protectant. I prefer rain-x because it lasts longer but you can also use any wax that you apply to your paint if you don't mind applying it more frequently.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Ive used 0000 steel wool on mine when i get that or from the shoe polish after the track and it works for me

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

well FBJ, finally got my eastwood kit in the mail with the 1lb container and buffing pad/wheel.

Any tips on using it since you've been through the process a few times? Says to tape off everything and keep wet (process seems similar to wet sanding).

Awsome. Keeping it wet is the trick. I keep a spray bottle of water and keep misting the glass I'm working on. I also keep a clean bucket of water with a small spong and a shammy to kind of wipe the glass and check my progress. When it dries it turns pasty. It washes off easily with soap and water but like the instructions say, masking off painted surfaces is a good idea. It really saves time on the clean up later. It tends to get in all the small areas so I try to mask off any weatherstripping or trim around the windows too.

Once you start using it you'll see what I mean. The hardest part is trying to keep that little wheel flat on the glass and work back and forth in even strokes all while applying light pressure. Just remember, water is your lubricator, and it also keeps the glass from getting too hot. I use a very slow speed on the drill. A small amount of paste goes a long way if you keep it wet.

Let me know how it turns out. I liked the results so much so that I polished all the cars glass here. Even the cars that seemed to have clean glass really improved the visual appearance and visibility. It's amazing the gunk that comes off that simple washings and windex don't get. Kind of why people clay bar the paint once in a while.

2000 C5 Torch Red

wow FBJ!
    That stuff is miraculous. Seems a bit difficult to keep the tiny rotary felt pad balanced on the drill so since I'm trying to reach the top of the truck it wants to wobble a bit.

What are your tips for cleaning the felt pad after use?

Sofar I've done the back window and driver side in about 1/30th the time and effort that I had previously put in. Has almost completely removed the spots. Will need to give it another pass for sure, but heres a quick pick of the driver glass which used to be the worst before I started

Since I scratched the glass with a scothbrite pad like a dumbass about 6 months ago, this was able to polish out most, but not all the damage. May try to hit that area again. When I'm done I'll try to get a better perspective than crappy cell pic. get before and after on the passenger side as well.

Glad to hear it. Awsome stuff. It will polish out the fine scratches created from scotch brite pads and steel wool. Just have to pass over it a few times.

You'll see through that glass like never before. You'll especially notice a difference driving at night. It's just like buffing your paint....

On the little buffing wheel, I'll soak it in a small tub of water to remove some access. Then I just store it in a small zip lock back to keep it clean. Any pink compound left on it doesn't hurt anything. All you do when you are ready to use it again is submerge it in water again and the dry compound turns right back to a pasty substance and it's ready to go. Simple as that....

When that stuff dries it doesn't set up like concete, it just turns chalky. So water transforms it back to paste easily...

2000 C5 Torch Red

I thought about it after I posted. Since its just product and water, it wouldn't hurt after the water has evaporated, the product would just revert to its initial state. I actually scraped my bowl and was able to reuse some product by adding an additional small amount of water.

Black
    2000 WS6

Never ever seen glass so bad you had to use a buffer with polish to recover.
    Rain water is nowhere near that hard..
    What did he go through, a Gypsum plant?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    Oh but it can. My chevelle had hard water spots on it for more than 20 years, couldn't get it off. Tried everything from Coca Cola to 00 steel wool, vinegar, you name it. I only succeeded in scratching the glass. I gave up on the water spots for a long long time until about 4-5 years ago I decided to try the glass polish kit from Eastwood.
    Not only removed the spots almost immediately, but took out the fine scratches I had created and made the glass look like brand new. I've used it on every car since, whether water spotted or not. It's amazing just to see the filth it takes out of the glass.
    If you can imagine having faded paint and then buffing it to a high shine. It's the same principle. You don't even notice the glass is that bad until you do it. The wipers work better, the rain doesn't stick and spot up the glass anymore, it just runs off. I've found it's perfect for classic restorations where date coded glass needs restored. Great stuff. Just takes a little time and elbow grease.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-01-2012 at 08:00 PM.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    I agree with you. I had never witnessed glass or paint like that before. I bought this truck and picked it up fresh after they washed the car in 100+ degree weather. I just figured they suck at drying and left the car covered in water spots. After my first attempt at cleaning I was in for a rude awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I agree with you. I had never witnessed glass or paint like that before. I bought this truck and picked it up fresh after they washed the car in 100+ degree weather. I just figured they suck at drying and left the car covered in water spots. After my first attempt at cleaning I was in for a rude awakening.
    That's a huge problem here in AZ. The air is so dry here (dew points in the teens and humidity at 30% or less) that any water sprayed dries extremely quick, even in the shade.
    When you wash a car outside, by the time you move to the other side to wash, the first side is already dry. You really have to bust your butt and move fast, and keep spraying the whole car down with water while you work around it.
    Within 5 minutes, even the concrete is bone dry, you can't even tell I washed something there.
    Anyway, it causes water spots on everything if you aren't carefull, it's a real hassle. I find that keeping the paint waxed and keeping Rain-X (or some form of wax) on the glass helps to keep the spots from forming.

White
    1998 Z28

I just ordered some. I have a 99 Tahoe that I think somebody left out in the sprinkler system. I have tried vinegar, 0000 steel wool, Plast-X cleaner and polish, rubbing compound with a DA buffer all with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FMBL View Post
    I just ordered some. I have a 99 Tahoe that I think somebody left out in the sprinkler system. I have tried vinegar, 0000 steel wool, Plast-X cleaner and polish, rubbing compound with a DA buffer all with no luck.
    Sounds like yours is as stubborn as mine was. Funny how I tried all the same things you did with no luck either.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Has anyone thought to try the headlight lens polisher stuff yet?

I got to thinking the other day that if it will polish them it could do the same for the mirror glass too?

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Has anyone thought to try the headlight lens polisher stuff yet?

I got to thinking the other day that if it will polish them it could do the same for the mirror glass too?
    I don't know if Eastwood sells it, but if they do it should be better quality than what you find in the auto stores. I've tried the auto store headlight polish kits and was not impressed at all. I ended up just buying brand new headlights.
    If I had thought about it at the time I would of checked Eastwood and gave that a shot before plunking money down for new lights.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I'd like to see some before and afters if that is at all possible.

2000 C5 Torch Red

I tried before and after, but they just didn't come out at all. Had issues with the reflection of clear glass. It basically looked just like the car was covered in water spots from not properly drying, except nothing would take it off. Went from cleaner to cleaner, clr, steel wool, metal polish, vinegar, buffer with the hardest pad and medium cut cleaner, the glass just laughed at me.

My first pic of the spots was the best I got.

White
    1998 Z28

Just got the Eastwood product in today. I will try it this weekend and post the out come.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information