Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

remove hard water from glass

This is a discussion on remove hard water from glass within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; That's what it appears to be pajeff. funny that the trim and paint cleaned up. guess they were better protected. ...

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

That's what it appears to be pajeff. funny that the trim and paint cleaned up. guess they were better protected.

you get those scratches out Justin?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

sure didn't, and in addition, the rubber lining on the glass is torn too for whatever reason around the 'corners' of the glass, (sort of where the hatch, quarter panel and sail panel all touch) not sure how that happened and I cant find a replacment anywhere online so one of these day I'll probably get on craigslist and buy a hatch off a wrecked V6 camaro/firebird for dirt chap and swap the entire glass piece

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

I would try an razor blade, first spray windsheld wiper fluid on the window and scrap it gently with a razor blade.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Thx for the advice. Tried the razorblade. Detailer did too. Spots are apparently now in the glass.

SOM
    2001 SS

I had this problem on my SS for two whole years. Tried this and tried that. I came across a glass polish that i seen this old guy using on some of the cars he was detailing. He saw my problem, grabbed the #0000 steel wool and some of the glass polish. He did a small 8in sec of the rear window. In about 6 min that spot was free of water spots. I went home and did my rear window and passenger window. took me about 1hr. I was so happy so see my windows spotless again. I never did get the name of the glass polish. I guess any good brand will do.

2000 C5 Torch Red

thanks. i havent had a chance to mess with the windows as I'm trying to prep my house to move. May try the steel wool method every one keeps mentioning. Don't know of any local stores that would sell glass polish though.

anyone know discount codes for any of the zaino E-stores, lol...
    Last edited by chuckie669; 08-18-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Sport Red Met.
    09 G8 GXP

U anal bitch!! Lol so ur still fighting the spots, IT'S A TRUCK!! Haha. U gonna be home sat so I come by and get those mufflers out of ur way?

2000 C5 Torch Red

Damn... I got an internet stalker.

Yeah, ill be home all sat

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    thanks. i havent had a chance to mess with the windows as I'm trying to prep my house to move. May try the steel wool method every one keeps mentioning. Don't know of any local stores that would sell glass polish though.

anyone know discount codes for any of the zaino E-stores, lol...
    I found this on Zanios site, I'm thinking about trying it.

Z-12 Clear View Polish
    Code:Z-12
    Price: $12.95
    Quantity in Basket: none

Description: Make your glass disappear! Z-12 isn’t a glass cleaner, it’s a glass polish. With mild abrasives, Z-12 deep cleans and polishes glass surfaces with ease. Use Z-12 to remove acid rain spots, hard water spots, road film, and bird stains. Z-12 is so effective that it even removes fine to medium scratches. *Not for use on aftermarket window tint, coated glass, painted, or plastic surfaces.

2000 C5 Torch Red

That's why I was looking for a discount code. Saw the same thing.

Pewter metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Spray CLR on it then use a green scotchbrite. Use elbow grease. Then use Brasso and a highspeed buffer. It was the only thing I tried that worked.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have these spots now on my windows and mirrors.

It was right after I used Zaino car wash...

Well, went and picked up white vinegar and tried applying with paper towels. It had no effect on the spotting. Tried to take a picture as maybe its something other than what I think. I think I have the ultra fine steel wool. Do you just rub gently? I don't want to etch the glass.

Click for full size
    This is an easy fix. I had that exact stuff on all the glass of my 72 chevelle. Was that way when I bought it in 87 and I lived with it for 25 years. I tried all the vinegar tricks, soda pop, etc....
    Last year I bought the Eastwood glass polishing kit. Took it off no problem. It's a powder that mixes with water, and a small buffing wheel you stick in a hand drill.
    Glass looks like new, and even takes out small scratches. I liked it so much I use it on all the cars now. Afterwards apply a little rain-x and you won't have that problem again. Just follow the instructions.

What ever you do don't use steel wool. Even the fine double ott wool will still leave very fine scratches in the glass that you can see if you get the lighting just right.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have these spots now on my windows and mirrors.

It was right after I used Zaino car wash...
    Ya I've found that most of the car wash soaps no matter how much they cost leave those darn water spots. Out here in AZ it's really bad, since it's so dry out here, you can't wash half the car without the other half drying off from the sun and the extreme dry air.
    If I get to the water spots on the glass quick enough I can remove it with mild rubbing compound. But if it's been on there for years, such as in the case of my chevelle, the Eastwood Glass Polish kit was the only thing that would take it off.

That's why I started using rain-x all the time. It cuts down the water spots on the glass to non existant.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Alright, I'll try some stuff. I tried rubbing it with some glass cleaner and a rag, no go. It was warm out and I rinsed the car almost immediately after washing it. I always hand dry it also. First time I ever encountered this problem.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Right View Post
    Spray CLR on it then use a green scotchbrite. Use elbow grease. Then use Brasso and a highspeed buffer. It was the only thing I tried that worked.
    tried clr carefully as it can damage the clearcoat or so ive read and nothing. Also green scotchbrite sink sponge WILL etch glass on autos (ask me how I know).
    Last edited by chuckie669; 08-24-2011 at 04:36 AM.

2000 C5 Torch Red

thanks FBJ. Soon as I get my bathtub issues and house taken care if I will definitely order one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is an easy fix. I had that exact stuff on all the glass of my 72 chevelle. Was that way when I bought it in 87 and I lived with it for 25 years. I tried all the vinegar tricks, soda pop, etc....
    Last year I bought the Eastwood glass polishing kit. Took it off no problem. It's a powder that mixes with water, and a small buffing wheel you stick in a hand drill.
    Glass looks like new, and even takes out small scratches. I liked it so much I use it on all the cars now. Afterwards apply a little rain-x and you won't have that problem again. Just follow the instructions.

What ever you do don't use steel wool. Even the fine double ott wool will still leave very fine scratches in the glass that you can see if you get the lighting just right.

thanks FBJ. Soon as I get my bathtub issues and house taken care if I will definitely order one of these.
    You'll like it. Not only does it remove the spots, but it also polishes the glass slick and smooth. You'll actually notice what is a light dirty film that has been covering the glass that simple windex or washing never removes. Once it's polished you'll see the difference right away and then you'll want to do every car you have. I know I did. Made a tremendous difference in both appearance and visibility.

A tip that I always do is to mask off around the windows with newspaper, because the stuff tends to splatter a bit when you start spinning the drill. Keeps it off the paint that way and makes clean up much easier afterwards. The access washes off easily with water and a spong.

2000 C5 Torch Red

Not sure the best place to get it. . On the eastwood site there is a pro glass polishing kit for 48.99. I imagine that's the one your referring to.

Let me go look at mine real quick to make sure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information