Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

quoted $350??

This is a discussion on quoted $350?? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; [/QUOTE] how long would that quality of detaling take ?...

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

Click for full size[/QUOTE]

how long would that quality of detaling take ?

Black
    00 WS6

I just spent $350 at Autogeek to start learning how to detail a car myself.

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by WhatUpWhatUp View Post
    Click for full size

how long would that quality of detaling take ?

I spent about 23 hours on that SUV, Range Rover Sport. This was a 2 step correction, ie I went around the SUV twice with the buffer. The correction alone took about 16 hours total, the remaining 7 hours was in washing/claying/drying/interior/wax/etc.

It all depends on the condition of the paint and how hard the clear coat is, and what products you're using. This seperates the good detailers from the average craigslist ones. Having just one product for all cars (some generic polish) is a total cop-out and its cutting corners to save money (for the detailer). So knowing what paint system you're working on and how it responds to what products and why is a big factor in the time required and thus the cost.

Thats also the very knowledge you won't have when doing it yourself vs. paying a similar amount to a pro to do it.

Last edited by GoFast908Z; 10-21-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    I just spent $350 at Autogeek to start learning how to detail a car myself.
    what did you get?

black
    1998 transam ws6

1k 2k hell i got my car repainted for 3k and its black looks great

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gotws6 View Post
    1k 2k hell i got my car repainted for 3k and its black looks great
    1-2k detail will usually be taking out your orangepeel, something you typically don't get on a 3k paintjob.

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    Too all those saying its too high, how do you know? There is no mention of what is being done and that makes a HUGE difference. To those quoting other numbers, you aren't listing what all is included, so you can't really compare anything.

Its not high if you want paint correction done. It is high if there is no correction being done.

Yeah for the area it may be high, but that's pretty typical in CA (at least if they aren't hacks).

Again, probably not paint correction I'm guessing, thus the big difference in price.

You can do it yourself, but remember you are also paying for their experience. You'd be going into it blind. Not saying you can't....just that a pro will do it much better. And $350 won't get anywhere near perfect lol.

I'm assuming you work/run a body shop? A body shop doing a wetsand and buff is very different from a detailer doing it. Body shops don't finish down to the same quality that is demanded of detailers. Some do, but they are very rare. If someone told me that tiny amount to wetsand my car I'd run for the hills, wayyyy too low. Every car I've seen that's had that done has had numerous patches of sanding missed, compound in every crevice, and burned edges throughout. The time it takes to make sure these things don't happen immediately put it out of that price range.

I agree 110 %. I've been detailing for about 6 years. I just recently started paint correction on a cars afew months ago. I've done 6 paint corrections already and its no walk in the park trust me. I've spent anywhere from 8-16 hrs on a car. its very time consuming. 350.00 sounds like a fair price depending if he's doing a paint correction or not. I charge 285.00-400.00 for a paint correction depending on the paints condition and the car size and that's super low compared to what other people charge. like gofazt said you're paying for their experience too.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    Are they polishing the car, with what kind of buffer (cheap Sears POS, Random Orbital DA like the Porter Cable, or a rotary), what products they consider polishes (cleaner waxes don't qualify here), how long does it take to do one pass (go over the car one time with the buffer)...heres a hint if it takes less than an hour thats too fast. 2-3 hours per pass is about right.
    Do my car haha

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

what is included?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information