Results 1 to 12 of 12

Question for the detailing gurus of the site

This is a discussion on Question for the detailing gurus of the site within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; '98 z28 whose paint looks twice the age. It is also my DD. So, once I get started, I wash, ...

  1. #1
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28

    Question for the detailing gurus of the site

    '98 z28 whose paint looks twice the age. It is also my DD. So, once I get started, I wash, clay, and then start the compounds. Do they provide any protection against the elements? The entire process of restoring the paint is sure to take more than a day and my car sits outside. If I go through the pain of claying and the first "cutting" compound and it gets rained on, do I have to start all over? Like if it rains, do I have to wash the car before I get back to buffing?

  2. #2
    Pony_eater Pony_Eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, Ca
    Posts
    369

    Black
    2000 trans am ws6

    yes you will need to wash the car before buffing....compounds do not protect the paint..i would reccomend you apply a sealant after buffing.

  3. #3
    In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sutton MA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    258

    Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

    compounds will actually take your wax off. +1 on the sealant. if you have the time and the indoor parking, surf city garage makes a glaze/sealant that you leave on for 24 hours. but it works tits. follow it up with a good wax and your paint will look like glass

  4. #4
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    '98 z28 whose paint looks twice the age. It is also my DD. So, once I get started, I wash, clay, and then start the compounds. Do they provide any protection against the elements? The entire process of restoring the paint is sure to take more than a day and my car sits outside. If I go through the pain of claying and the first "cutting" compound and it gets rained on, do I have to start all over? Like if it rains, do I have to wash the car before I get back to buffing?
    No, you don't have to start over. You can of course give it a quick wash preferrably soap and water...
    Then you can move onto the next step.
    If it rains on it, check for water spots.

    What kind of cutting compound are you referring to, and what methods do you plan on using it with?

  5. #5
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    No, you don't have to start over. You can of course give it a quick wash preferrably soap and water...
    Then you can move onto the next step.
    If it rains on it, check for water spots.

    What kind of cutting compound are you referring to, and what methods do you plan on using it with?
    This would be my second car I've done. I used Pinnacle products before, with a porter cable DA buffer. It's their XMT series of products. Just bought some pads from autogeek. Holy hell is their shipping fast. I even bought some carpet attachments for the PC to get that looking like new.

    Goose, any products you recommend for the carpet?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    This would be my second car I've done. I used Pinnacle products before, with a porter cable DA buffer. It's their XMT series of products. Just bought some pads from autogeek. Holy hell is their shipping fast. I even bought some carpet attachments for the PC to get that looking like new.

    Goose, any products you recommend for the carpet?
    I've had good luck with Folex for carpet cleaning.
    You can get it at your local supermarket, hardware store, etc...
    It's widely available.

  7. #7
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    XMT isn't gonna get the results you are after if your 98 looks anything like mine did. If you have the coin- get Menzerna Super intensive polish and follow up with Menzerna Nano finishing polish. The results are unreal. Then follow up with either a good Carnuba wax or a sealer.
    Autogeek has a detailing forum where you can learn techniques/ask questions. I was looking at a new paint job till I learned about Menzerna at AG forum. The before and after pictures those guys post tell the real story.

  8. #8
    Member tpilews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    34
    Posts
    918

    Black
    '98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    XMT isn't gonna get the results you are after if your 98 looks anything like mine did. If you have the coin- get Menzerna Super intensive polish and follow up with Menzerna Nano finishing polish. The results are unreal. Then follow up with either a good Carnuba wax or a sealer.
    Autogeek has a detailing forum where you can learn techniques/ask questions. I was looking at a new paint job till I learned about Menzerna at AG forum. The before and after pictures those guys post tell the real story.
    Well, I've already got the XMT products, so I'm gonna use them until they're gone. I cleaned up a '97 Accord with these products previously and was impressed with the results. We'll have to see how it comes out. I'll be sure to post before and after shots for y'all.

  9. #9
    Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    169

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

    XMT products will get you the results your looking for.

    I personally use menzerna polishes also, the SIP and Nano. LOVE THEM... but if you get on autogeek you will find posts on pinnacle being used on bad cars.
    Last edited by 02convertibleT/A; 12-16-2009 at 04:31 AM.

  10. #10
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    LOL

  11. #11
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Please don't post direct links to non sponsors

  12. #12
    Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    169

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

    sorry man...

    let me know if you want me to PM you to what i posted.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help from you detailing gurus.
    By Dabom75 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 12:27 PM
  2. Question for the Detailing Gurus
    By tpilews in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 10:59 PM
  3. Procharged LS1 GTO question for the gurus
    By my99taws6 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
  4. Computer gurus I need some help! Quick question.
    By nitrox28 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 07:12 AM
  5. Computer gurus...I have a question/need help.
    By nitrox28 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •