Question for the Detailing Gurus

This is a discussion on Question for the Detailing Gurus within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I'm using XMT by Pinnacle. I'm done with the first two steps of buffing; the intermediate, and fine swirl removers. ...

Black
    '98 Z28

Question for the Detailing Gurus

I'm using XMT by Pinnacle. I'm done with the first two steps of buffing; the intermediate, and fine swirl removers. I'm on to the finishing glaze, but I have a question. This glaze has Carnauba in it and it's kind of gunking up the pad. Like, I just did the hood and the pad is really sticky. I was wondering if this is normal, as it has been a few years since I've used this product. Would it be best if I got some other finishing glaze to finish the detail. I'd like to finish it tomorrow morning, so I need to find something local. I know the nearby Napa has Mequires products. Thoughts....

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I'm using XMT by Pinnacle. I'm done with the first two steps of buffing; the intermediate, and fine swirl removers. I'm on to the finishing glaze, but I have a question. This glaze has Carnauba in it and it's kind of gunking up the pad. Like, I just did the hood and the pad is really sticky. I was wondering if this is normal, as it has been a few years since I've used this product. Would it be best if I got some other finishing glaze to finish the detail. I'd like to finish it tomorrow morning, so I need to find something local. I know the nearby Napa has Mequires products. Thoughts....
    You can use less.
    Just use less product and apply thin.
    Those products tend to saturate the pads, so just use just enough to cover the paint.
    Also, as long as the pad remains moist, you don't have to keep adding product onto it.
    They go for a while before you have to re-apply.

What kind of pad(s) are you using and what kind of buffer do you have?

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    You can use less.
    Just use less product and apply thin.
    Those products tend to saturate the pads, so just use just enough to cover the paint.
    Also, as long as the pad remains moist, you don't have to keep adding product onto it.
    They go for a while before you have to re-apply.

What kind of pad(s) are you using and what kind of buffer do you have?
    Using Lake Cty CCS pads with a Porter Cable DA. Thanks for the advice. Would you recommend that I apply some type of conditioner to the pad as I go to keep it moist. Like water, or a touch up spray?
    Last edited by tpilews; 03-12-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Using Lake Cty CCS pads with a Porter Cable DA. Thanks for the advice. Would you recommend that I apply some type of conditioner to the pad as I go to keep it moist. Like water, or a touch up spray?
    Yes, you can spritz the pad a little bit initially.
    I'm not particular familiar with the XMT Finishing Glaze, but you shouldn't have much problems if using less.
    Try working it into the paint a little longer where the glaze almost disappears into it. Always using less than what you think is enough.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Also, make sure you shake the product real well, and that the pad you're using has no other product on it other than the finishing glaze.

Black
    '98 Z28

Some picture of process and progress...

After Intermediate Swirl Remover

After Finishing Glaze...

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Looks nice!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

So, how did everything go?
    What did you do about the pads issue?

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    So, how did everything go?
    What did you do about the pads issue?
    I thinned it out just as you said. Not sure what the deal was with the first pad. I broke out a brand new black pad, and all worked great. It looked great all week, but it rained all day today, so gotta clean it up tomorrow. It'll obviously be a hell of a lot easier at this point. Thanks for the help Goose.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

I thinned it out just as you said. Not sure what the deal was with the first pad. I broke out a brand new black pad, and all worked great. It looked great all week, but it rained all day today, so gotta clean it up tomorrow. It'll obviously be a hell of a lot easier at this point. Thanks for the help Goose.
    No problem man. Any time

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

nice and black again-consider taping the emblems and any rubber/plastic parts so you don't have to fight to remove compound out of them. Also I had the CCS pads and sent them back. I didn't like how it would store compound in those little cells, only to drie it out and spit it all over the place. I exchanged them for their Kompressor pads which I like so much more.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Do those little buffers actually do a good job. I usually just use my dewalt buffer with a wool compound pad and black foam polishing pad. Then I use either light or dark car glaze depending on which color car I'm doing.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

The paint on my 98 was swirled bad when I bought it and had some pretty bad scratches on the hood(like the guy banged his chick on it). I broke down and bought a PC a couple years back, some pads,microfibers, and some medium and ultra fine XMT swirl/scratch remover. It did a ok job but I wasn't happy. After some research/advice from GOOSE the "Detail King" I got some Menzerna SIP and Menzerna Nano finishing polish-it exceeded my expectations and I am pretty damn picky. Best part- it doesn't have fillers like alot of other products-which temporarily hide swirls/scratches so it stays looking right as long as you wash the car correctly(2 bucket system etc. etc.)so you don't cause new swirls.

With the right pad,product,and amount of time the PC works fine IMO.

To the guy using the XMT- you prolly realize this already but if the surface of your car is hot-wait till it cools. XMT is a Mfer to remove on a hot surface.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    The paint on my 98 was swirled bad when I bought it and had some pretty bad scratches on the hood(like the guy banged his chick on it). I broke down and bought a PC a couple years back, some pads,microfibers, and some medium and ultra fine XMT swirl/scratch remover. It did a ok job but I wasn't happy. After some research/advice from GOOSE the "Detail King" I got some Menzerna SIP and Menzerna Nano finishing polish-it exceeded my expectations and I am pretty damn picky. Best part- it doesn't have fillers like alot of other products-which temporarily hide swirls/scratches so it stays looking right as long as you wash the car correctly(2 bucket system etc. etc.)so you don't cause new swirls.

With the right pad,product,and amount of time the PC works fine IMO.

To the guy using the XMT- you prolly realize this already but if the surface of your car is hot-wait till it cools. XMT is a Mfer to remove on a hot surface.
    Yeah, those first set of pics were taken just after the intermediate and fine swirl removers. I waited about 2 months for a cloudy day as the garage is full of crap and my tools. I used the finishing glaze early one day before the sun was hitting the car. Thing that sucks is that the weather was great for about 5 days and then it rained for 2 days straight. So, the car needs to be washed. I need to clean out the garage.

I might have to try the Menzerna stuff; thanks for the tip.

EDIT: damn, that stuff isn't cheap. It's too bad it doesn't come in a 16 oz. bottle. Oh well, you gotta spend a little to look great.
    Last edited by tpilews; 03-30-2010 at 10:53 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I use all 3m pads, compounds, polishes, and wizards glaze( some new stuff my paint guy got in and let me try out works great. Used to use mothers or meguirs waxes, or 3m light or dark car glazes on fresh paint till I tried this. Same price as auto store waxes but better finish.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yeah, those first set of pics were taken just after the intermediate and fine swirl removers. I waited about 2 months for a cloudy day as the garage is full of crap and my tools. I used the finishing glaze early one day before the sun was hitting the car. Thing that sucks is that the weather was great for about 5 days and then it rained for 2 days straight. So, the car needs to be washed. I need to clean out the garage.

I might have to try the Menzerna stuff; thanks for the tip.

EDIT: damn, that stuff isn't cheap. It's too bad it doesn't come in a 16 oz. bottle. Oh well, you gotta spend a little to look great.
    Bro- seriously- that Menzerna will blow your mind. My car almost looked like it had been repainted. It takes a little bit to learn how to use it but when you do it is amazing! I fully agree on the 16 or maybe 20oz bottles but even so it is well worth it. Follow up with some Pinnacle souveran paste wax and prepare to drool!

Thread Information