Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Washer

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Pressure Washer

Hey guys, I did the math to figure out how much money I spent last year alone on washing just the WS6 at the car wash. Just goes to show now that I have my own driveway it would pay off to get my own pressure washer.

The problem is I don't want to go buy any old jobber and be dissapointed with the results. I want a good pressure washer that has soap dispensing capability and that has equal if not better pressure and surface area any good car wash would. I'll be using warm water with this thing since I'll be rigging up a proper mixing valve outside with hot & cold.

So any suggestions, I obviously want to try and keep cost down but I do want a good pressure washer. Preferrably electric and not 220, but I'll step up if I have to.

Let me know what you use and how you like it.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    Hey guys, I did the math to figure out how much money I spent last year alone on washing just the WS6 at the car wash. Just goes to show now that I have my own driveway it would pay off to get my own pressure washer.

The problem is I don't want to go buy any old jobber and be dissapointed with the results. I want a good pressure washer that has soap dispensing capability and that has equal if not better pressure and surface area any good car wash would. I'll be using warm water with this thing since I'll be rigging up a proper mixing valve outside with hot & cold.

So any suggestions, I obviously want to try and keep cost down but I do want a good pressure washer. Preferrably electric and not 220, but I'll step up if I have to.

Let me know what you use and how you like it.
    I would never wash my WS6 at a car wash let alone washing it with a pressure washer. I am pretty sure that will scratch the paint.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Personaly i purchased a Troy built 2500 Psi, Gas unit about 5 years ago, Every two years i change the O-rings and every year i change the engine oil. Great pressure, Comes with everything you need and has a external soap hose.
    I purchased it mainly for washing cars but i use it for everything, cleaning parts, customer cars, house, deck etc etc...
    Works great and i paid around 250.00 for it.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Look on line, there are tons of deals and you can learn a lot. I bought Karcher one on line with free shipping and no tax. Been with me for years. Redone decks, sidewalks, patios, siding and been washing cars. It is super powerful, so I have to use the lowest tip for the cars, but it works great. I still hand wash it, just use the PW for rinsing.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I would never wash my WS6 at a car wash let alone washing it with a pressure washer. I am pretty sure that will scratch the paint.
    Hi-pressure water by itself will not scratch paint. If you use the wrong tip you could potentially rip the paint off the car though.
    Op -- I would suggest a Karcher pressure washer mine works badass. Just don't use the wrong tip.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Harbor freight has some I believe.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

They sure do. My dad had one that lasted a little over a year then just shorted out one day. For the price it does a good job but it didn't have near the pressure of a namebrand one.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My hose along with a micro-fiber sponge has worked wonders for 10 years on my SS now.

I didn't realize people wash their cars with power washers to be honest.

I guess mine never gets dirty enough for me to need to use high power water on it to remove the grime.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I live in a windy desert area so it gives me more peace of mind to pressure wash all the sand off before I hand wash it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

No car is designed to with stand the pressure of a power washer. Not the paint and certainly not the seals. The only thing that a pressure washer is going to remove better than a standard is hose is hardened mud. It only removes it "better" b/c it removes it faster.

If you do pressure wash it, I would avoid the the door window and t-top seals and limit how many times you do it in between waxes (if any wax is left after a power wash lol).

I guess I'd go with the cheapo harbor freight though, cleans my house good.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Karcher FTW!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Hi-pressure water by itself will not scratch paint. If you use the wrong tip you could potentially rip the paint off the car though.
    Op -- I would suggest a Karcher pressure washer mine works badass. Just don't use the wrong tip.
    I am sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you. Most paints if not all that are used on cars are not made to handle the pressure a pressure washer puts out. For a boat I would say its fine but not a car. But if you have to pressure wash your car then I would do it sparingly.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Lol I guess I need to get ahold of these water jet pressure washers you guys are using. I maintain that as long as you use the proper tip it will not scratch the paint. Improperly used I'm sure it can screw it up tho.

You are right Hob. I've used our pressure washer to wash the cars many times. You can install a different tip so there is just a fine spray, it barely rinses the soap off. Or I can change the tip and it will cut right through a rubber hose, even slice your hand open if you aren't carefull. It's great for blowing off the underside of the car, even removes old undercoating in some cases.

There are many different PSI rated pressure washers. I for one prefer a gas powered unit, don't care for the electric ones.
    If you keep the PSI around 2,000-2500, and use the soft tip, you can spray a car all day and do no harm what so ever,,,they'll work much like a car wash sprayer does.

If you get something over say,,,,,3000 psi, and use a course tip,,,you can strip paint off the car, or your house, or your deck etc...great for blowing off concrete driveways too, they'll look bright white when done.

I use a 2600 psi gas powered Honda unit, runs very quiet and with the soft tip,,,washes the cars perfectly. Stick to something in this range for PSI or a little lower, and it's perfect for cars or around the house.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    No car is designed to with stand the pressure of a power washer. Not the paint and certainly not the seals. The only thing that a pressure washer is going to remove better than a standard is hose is hardened mud. It only removes it "better" b/c it removes it faster.

If you do pressure wash it, I would avoid the the door window and t-top seals and limit how many times you do it in between waxes (if any wax is left after a power wash lol).

I guess I'd go with the cheapo harbor freight though, cleans my house good.
    you're totally wrong. I've been PW'ing cars with a 2500psi unit for almost 2 years now and never had an issue with paint or seals. You can even blast out door jambs if you're savvy enough. Just use sweeping motions and never aim it right at the t-tops and you'll be fine-you can't remove wax with them either, wax has to be degreased and agitated (ie dawn or Simple green+ wash mit) to come off.

I'm with Goose-karcher FTW
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 05-12-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Lol oh how the tide has turned. OP did you get one yet or what you went AWOL on us.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Hey guys, thanks for all your advice. To all those who say you can't use a pressure washer on a car I say... I've done it for 5 years and never had a problem. Its obvious just don't get to close, get a wide spray pattern tip and enjoy.

I've settled on this,

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....&Nty=1&topnav=

I'm having a friend pick it up for me within a day or two. I'm also going to be running warm water threw it aswell.

One last question for you guys though, it comes with a detergent inlet hose. I just want to know if anyone here has any recommendations for which soap to use?

thanks again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all your advice. To all those who say you can't use a pressure washer on a car I say... I've done it for 5 years and never had a problem. Its obvious just don't get to close, get a wide spray pattern tip and enjoy.

I've settled on this,

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....&Nty=1&topnav=

I'm having a friend pick it up for me within a day or two. I'm also going to be running warm water threw it aswell.

One last question for you guys though, it comes with a detergent inlet hose. I just want to know if anyone here has any recommendations for which soap to use?

thanks again guys!
    That's similar to the one I have, I also bought from Costco. But I have the 2600 psi version and they generally have them for $299. Would save you some money and the 2600 will do anything you need on the car or around the house. That 3,000 psi is probably a little too high for me to use comfortably on a car.

On the soap question, I can't answer for certain, I've never had soap through mine. I always found that simple water pressure would remove anything I wanted, concrete, house, deck etc..with just swapping the tips.. and that's with the smaller 2600 psi,,,,so be cautious with that 3,000.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Anything where I need to be careful on which tip I have on it or what pressure setting I need to have it on otherwise my car will get messed up....no thank you.

I'll stick to a hose for the car and a pressure washer to the house/deck/lawn furniture

Good luck OP.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My hose along with a micro-fiber sponge has worked wonders for 10 years on my SS now.

I didn't realize people wash their cars with power washers to be honest.

I guess mine never gets dirty enough for me to need to use high power water on it to remove the grime.
    Same here, i know people do it but i'm perfectly content with a garden hose
    Plus it gives me more quality time with her
    If you were your car would you want to be blasted with a jet stream of water?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information