Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pressure Washer

This is a discussion on Pressure Washer within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Anything where I need to be careful on which tip I have on it or what ...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Anything where I need to be careful on which tip I have on it or what pressure setting I need to have it on otherwise my car will get messed up....no thank you.

I'll stick to a hose for the car and a pressure washer to the house/deck/lawn furniture

Good luck OP.
    Same here. Something about shooting water at 2600 PSI or so at my car's paint job doesn't feel right to me. Some may be fine using a power washer on their car but I won't ever feel comfortable doing that.

You guys are really over exagerating the idea.

You just have to put the wide fan spray tip on there and it does a fine job. It's much like you will find at any local car wash that is used by millions of people.

I'll be honest here, I don't always use the power washer to simply wash my cars. Frankly I don't feel like doing the extra work of dragging it out and firing it up just to wash the outside of a car off when it's much faster for me to unreal a hose and grab a sponge. I do however stop at many car washes and use them all the time.
    That's not to say you can't use your home version,,,that's what they are meant for. It's great for blowing off mud or anything stubborn. Many tips to choose from for different jobs at hand. I can make the mist come out so fine it barely blows soap off the car. That's with a 2600 psi washer. You can't adjust the pressure it pumps,,,just the tips,,and that's all you need.
    It's also great for houses that have low water pressure or well water. Some houses barely have enough pressure to shoot a lobbing stream 5 feet in front of you. Pain to wash a car like that.

Basically guys,,,,you just have to use common sense.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I understand...I have a pressure washer myself. After seeing it cut through wood though with the wrong tip it scared me for life

I understand...I have a pressure washer myself. After seeing it cut through wood though with the wrong tip it scared me for life
    I did the same thing when I first used one. Sprayed my deck and it splintered the wood.

Black
    2001 Ws6

a few years ago I had a neighbor who use a pressure washer on his brand new truck....to tell you the truth it looked mint when he was done.....about 10 days later the paint started to flake off that shit was funny!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I dont know that I believe it was the pressure washer that caused his paint to flake off. If he was using the wrong tip it would have ripped it off when he was doing it not days later.
    OP-You cant go wrong with a Karcher. I'm with FirebirdJones though 3k might be a bit of overkill.

I agree, sounds like a chemical he used that had nothing to do with the pressure washer. If it's going to strip paint, it'll do it as soon as you pull the trigger.

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I agree, sounds like a chemical he used that had nothing to do with the pressure washer. If it's going to strip paint, it'll do it as soon as you pull the trigger.
    I think both of you guys should pressure wash your cars and see what happens....I know what I saw that truck must be still flaking till this day I am looking for some old pic's to post.....maybe it was not full blast I do know that dude paid for the truck in cash and 2 weeks later he PW it and it has looked like shit ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by War Theory View Post
    I think both of you guys should pressure wash your cars and see what happens....
    I have many cars here that I've pressure washed more times than I can count

Your description says the paint peeled 10 days later, which is why we questioned it.

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have many cars here that I've pressure washed more times than I can count

Your description says the paint peeled 10 days later, which is why we questioned it.
    Dude you sound like a normal guy and i have a feeling you didn't really open it up ....but i guess if it was full power the paint would blow off maybe he had it at 60% or 70% But I am still looking for pic's

Dude you sound like a normal guy and i have a feeling you didn't really open it up ....but i guess if it was full power the paint would blow off maybe he had it at 60% or 70% But I am still looking for pic's
    Open it up?? There is only one setting on these things,,,and that's the 2600 psi rating, Or what ever powerwasher you buy, they always pump that.
    The only adjustment on any gas powered pressure washer that I've seen/used is changing the tips which will adjust the spray pattern and the pressure that the water exits the gun. That's it.
    2600 psi is more than enough to do just about anything you want around the house, yet perfect for the car as well.
    I can install the red tip (full strength) and it'll blow undercoating off the bottom of a car, splinter wood, peel paint off a house.
    I can install the green tip and it's great for washing grime off a car (think engine compartment) and takes off caked on grease.
    I can install a white tip and it barely blows the soap off the car just like millions of car washes around the country used by everyone.

It's just common sense with these things. No harm to a car what so ever if you have a head on your shoulders.
    If I wanted to damage the paint on a car, I'd install the red tip and go to town. The damage is instantanious, not 10 days later. That's the only comment that cought my attention. I'd lean more towards the guy using some odd ball chemical the paint didn't agree with,,,,or the guy already had an issue with his paint, possibly clear coat bubbling from age or poor application, and the pressure washer just exagerated it.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

garden hose and dawn dish liquid ftw! .....been doin it for years and no damage to paint or anything else......

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Dawn dish soap is pretty harsh for your paint...so I've been informed by many detailers.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Dawn dish soap is pretty harsh for your paint...so I've been informed by many detailers.
    been using it forever.....my dad has too....no paint problems that ive noticed..........i never have luck with any of that "car wash" soap...suds always go away and it just seems like washing your car with shampoo....

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Dawn is pretty harsh but from what I've been told its sometimes necessary for a really neglected paint job. Clear coat paints are supposedly less affected if at all but on single stage paints it can cause oxidation if your not careful. At least thats how it was explained to me.
    Last edited by HOBS; 05-16-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I think both of you guys should pressure wash your cars and see what happens....I know what I saw that truck must be still flaking till this day I am looking for some old pic's to post.....maybe it was not full blast I do know that dude paid for the truck in cash and 2 weeks later he PW it and it has looked like shit ever since.
    I have pressure washed multiple cars including the T/A dozens of times and nothing negative has ever happened to my paint. I don't doubt that his paint started to flake I doubt the fact that it was the pressure washer that caused it weeks later. Logically, how do you think it would have caused flaking weeks after the fact?
    Last edited by HOBS; 05-16-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Found a better deal on another pressure washer, 2500 psi 2.3 GPM. Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    Found a better deal on another pressure washer, 2500 psi 2.3 GPM. Home Depot
    That's not bad, but they don't have the decent engine on them. If you have a Costco or Sams card, they have better washers with better and quieter running engines on them. Just overall appears better quality and the prices are actually a tad cheaper for their 2600 psi units than what I found at Home Depot for a comparable washer.
    You have to really keep an eye on them at Sams or Costco though. They get 8 or 10 of them in there and they are usually gone in a weeks time. At $289 they are hard to beat for the price, with a honda engine even. They go quick around here, and they generally don't replenish stock for months.

Very true, not only is it hard on paint, but it also removes all the wax you may have had on their previously. So after dawn, a wax right after is almost always mandatory. That stuff cuts through grease,,,,remember?

If you are too cheap to go out and buy a good quality car soap,,,then shampoo for your hair is recommended, as it's not very harsh. You should be able to find that in the bathroom.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Didnt look at home depots site but if it doesn't have the Honda motor on it I'd probably pass and spend a lil more money on one with it. Say what you will about Honda but their shit lasts forever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information