Thread: Power Washer

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Power Washer

Anyone use a filtered power washer to wash their car? That way, the minerals wouldn't leaver marks on the paint and windows. Also, when going to put new wax on, you could turn it up some so it takes the old off. How do you guys think it would work?
    Click for full size

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

NO NO NO. I think power washers are a mistake if you care about you cars paint at all. Secondly.......turning up the power isnt going to take old wax off. Wax cures to the paint and eventually breaks down over time,(sunlight, h20, o2 , etc) blasting your car trying to get the thin protective coating of wax off is going to do nothing but take you paint off. If you wash your car in the shade and dry it as soon as your done washing you wont get spots, and if you do get some, thats what quick detail is made for. Also wax breaks down in 7-8 weeks depending on you environment, so the only reason you would need to remove wax is if you were doing a full paint detail with all polish steps etc etc. It doenst sound like you are doing this so you dont need to remove the wax.

glimmerglassdetailing.com

Topaz Blue, White
    2002 BMW M3, S10 Xtreme

I would not recommend it. You can use it, but you'd need to stay at least 4-5 away imo.
    Better idea is to get a filtration system for your garden hose. You can find them, or make them yourself, for under 100 bux. That will keep the water from spotting on your paint/glass and its much safer too.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    Better idea is to get a filtration system for your garden hose. You can find them, or make them yourself, for under 100 bux. That will keep the water from spotting on your paint/glass and its much safer too.
    Didn't realize those existed. Might just do that. I never was going to turn it up that much. My water pressure just sucks so I was going to get something that has pressure like that of a do-it-yourself car wash.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Do you guys think something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-2X6-In...1725259&sr=8-2

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

not totally sure. I see its more for drinking water and odor. Most likely it just has activated carbon inside of it. It would def. help, but I am thinking that you want something thats a little more. Something to filter out more than just chlorine, something that does heavy metals as well. Just my 2 cents

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

okay, if you want your old wax off clay bar the car, then polish then wax,a power washer is hardly going to remove the paint, now if you turn it up to about 1500 psi, then we could grab an edge and do some damage,

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

1300-1500 PSI is fine to wash your car with as long as you arent holding the wand 5 inches from the paint. Just use common sense. All pro detailers use pressure washers to wash cars with and millions of people use carwash pressure washers every day with no damage. Just hold the wand at least a few feet away from the paint. I am about to purchase one myself. Check it out-http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=407
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 01-30-2008 at 08:35 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you want all the old wax off the car wash it with DAWN dish soap. Another option would be Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion-it is a hand applied polish that removes old wax and revitalizes the paint before you wax.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 01-30-2008 at 08:34 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

This is a decent filter kit-http://www.autogeek.net/waterfilterkit2.html

glimmerglassdetailing.com

Topaz Blue, White
    2002 BMW M3, S10 Xtreme

That autogeek filtration kit is pretty nice, thats what I would've recommended.
    However, I still wouldnt suggest using dawn to wash your car w/. Dawn was designed to remove oils/lubricants, etc, and over time, can pull those out of your moldings and trim. Sure, it wont happen in a year or two, but I know I wont risk it.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

However, I still wouldnt suggest using dawn to wash your car w/. Dawn was designed to remove oils/lubricants, etc, and over time, can pull those out of your moldings and trim. Sure, it wont happen in a year or two, but I know I wont risk it.
    this isnt meant to sit on you paint un protected but merely a tool to remove old wax, and when re waxed the same day i cant see harm in that

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I meant as a one time thing to remove the wax.

Thread Information