Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Buffer

Power Buffer

Can anyone recommend a good power buffer?

Red
    2001 Trans Am

Get a Porter Cable. I have the PC 7336

Get the Dewalt 849. Its well worth the money.

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by kenz28
    Get the Dewalt 849. Its well worth the money.
    WARNING!! If you have never used a machine polisher before, you DO NOT want to start with a rotary like the DW849 or Makita 9227C. You want a random-orbital, or "dual-action" polisher like the PC7336 mentioned. The DA buffer won't induce swirls like a rotary, nor does it come with the risk of burning through the paint.

Until you get the hang of using a DA buffer, I'd steer clear of the steeper learning curve a rotary has.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

I agree with the previos post. Random orbital is much safer for starter/amateurs like myself and you. I'd leave the standard ones to a professional.

What happens is the clear coat gets soft and a professional(my brother was trained with these) can get rid of swirls in paint by actually moving the clearcoat around with one of these non-random orbitals. If you don't do it right, you will be left with unprotected paint or no paint at all. Be VERY CAREFUL!!!

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by svt_eater
    get rid of swirls in paint by actually moving the clearcoat around with one of these non-random orbitals
    You aren't moving the clearcoat around when using a rotary. A polisher (ANY polisher) is actually abrading away a small quantity of the paint on a vehicle's surface. There isn't an endless supply of clear coat, and there are some defects too deep to remove safely.

The main difference between a rotary and a DA machine is that the DA machine can't create as much heat or abrasive force, which means it cannot remove as much paint during each pass. It also cannot create swirls (which in effect are "tool marks" from a rotary, or some other abrasive).

Oh, and do remember that it's always important to wax or seal your paint after polishing.... the clearcoat alone isn't enough -- it needs protection, too.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 99Z28 1LE
    You aren't moving the clearcoat around when using a rotary. A polisher (ANY polisher) is actually abrading away a small quantity of the paint on a vehicle's surface. There isn't an endless supply of clear coat, and there are some defects too deep to remove safely.

The main difference between a rotary and a DA machine is that the DA machine can't create as much heat or abrasive force, which means it cannot remove as much paint during each pass. It also cannot create swirls (which in effect are "tool marks" from a rotary, or some other abrasive).

Oh, and do remember that it's always important to wax or seal your paint after polishing.... the clearcoat alone isn't enough -- it needs protection, too.
    Okay, don't listen to me. I don't know enough to dispute it, but it was my understanding that the clear coat would get soft and you could move it around, not like to the other side of the car, but sort of in place, and if you did it too much, it would strip away from the paint completely. In extreme cases, the paint could also be removed. But, yes, definitely wax or polish afterwards.

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by svt_eater
    Okay, don't listen to me. I don't know enough to dispute it, but it was my understanding that the clear coat would get soft and you could move it around, not like to the other side of the car, but sort of in place, and if you did it too much, it would strip away from the paint completely. In extreme cases, the paint could also be removed. But, yes, definitely wax or polish afterwards.
    Show me documented, reliable proof of this and I'll believe you. Until then, I'll just sit and wait for hell to finish freezing over....

I just need something to help me get rid of some water marks.

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie
    You don't even need a buffer for that. Go to auto zone, pick up a Mother's California gold Claybar Kit, and have at it. Unless the paint is etched, that should handle it fine.

If it turns out to be etching, grab a light cleaner polish like Meguiar's Clear Coat Body Scrub or something of that sort. If you're a Zainoholic, order a bottle of ZPC Fusion.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie
    Sorry, guess I didn't realize the simplicity of your request. It seems that many posts that include a point of view end up in a high school style pi$$ing contest. Ah well, weed through the crap, and hopefully you get something out of it.

I suggest you save your money and go with what 1LE has suggested. Water marks aren't too serious to deal with. Just follow the instructions on a decent product like Mothers or Zaino. If you decide on Zaino, check out their website and do some reading. You may like the idea of picking up a few of their products. That's all I have used on my car from day 1.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

If you want something simple then Zaino isn't what you're looking for. It is finicky when it comes to application that’s why I like Tropi-care. Maguires is another great brand that a lot of people like including myself

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
    If you want something simple then Zaino isn't what you're looking for. It is finicky when it comes to application that’s why I like Tropi-care. Maguires is another great brand that a lot of people like including myself
    We aren't talking about the polish/sealant, we're specifically referring to the abrasive polishes and clay bars here. For that, Meguiar's isn't nearly as good as Mothers or Zaino in my experience.

Oh, and did I happen to mention that I'm a detailer by trade? I'm not here trying to blow smoke up anyone's ass.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

We aren't talking about the polish/sealant, we're specifically referring to the abrasive polishes and clay bars here. For that, Meguiar's isn't nearly as good as Mothers or Zaino in my experience.

Oh, and did I happen to mention that I'm a detailer by trade? I'm not here trying to blow smoke up anyone's ass.
    Some detailers suck!

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA
    Some detailers suck!
    And some people are ignorant.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Show me documented, reliable proof of this and I'll believe you. Until then, I'll just sit and wait for hell to finish freezing over....
    What's your prob with SVT Eater? His info may or may not be correct but he's basically saying "be carefull with the rotary polisher" Good advice.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 05-21-2006 at 03:33 AM.

White
    '97 Z28 Z4C

Get a Porter Cable... Arf! They (and others) are used by a lot of folks world wide with good results. The learning curve is not that great... (one or two practice panels and you should be good to go), my brother practiced on his tractor... However, (that's a big but), 'google' polishing and read a few how to's so you don't make beginner mistakes... I prefer the PC, low price, many accessories available, yadda, yadda, yadda...

(If you folks want to argue please start your own thread.)

Lil Dog in a big pound
    Last edited by Lil Dog; 05-21-2006 at 06:10 AM.

Pewter
    '99 Z28

What's your prob with SVT Eater? His info may or may not be correct but he's basically saying "be carefull with the rotary polisher" Good advice.
    And why are you bumping an old thread just for the sake of flaming? Go back to your cartoons, kid.

I love how people on the internet are so ignorant and have to turn everything into a "personal" thing. Nobody seems to think it's possible to take issue with information, without taking issue with the person giving the information. That right there is absolute immaturity. Grow up.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

And why are you bumping an old thread just for the sake of flaming? Go back to your cartoons, kid.

I love how people on the internet are so ignorant and have to turn everything into a "personal" thing. Nobody seems to think it's possible to take issue with information, without taking issue with the person giving the information. That right there is absolute immaturity. Grow up.
    Old thread from last nite. Kettle, you're black.

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Old thread from last nite.
    Or not.

Kettle, you're black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information