Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

Polishing WS6 Rims

I have a 98 WS6 and the rims are still real nice but when I see some peoples they are way more shiny, I was wondering what the best thing to use on them is to get them nice and shiny again, any info would be great. Thanks

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Mothers Wheel polish

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

anything else, could I use a power buffer and what kind and other suggestions

redls1bird
    whatever you do, DO NOT use a dremel tool with the mothers polish on those rims. i tried it this past weekend on my ws6 rims and it left some serious swirly marks on them. i then used a super soft dremel ball with the same polish because i thought "hell it cant get any worse". well, i was right, and while it did shine it up on the scuffed areas, it didnt remove the marks. try by hand and be prepared to put some elbow grease into it.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I got this stuff called "NEVER DULL" and it takes care of marks on all polished/coated metal surfaces (except for painted parts, basically just good for rims and oxidated plastics), I used on my stock wheels and all the spots were removed and even the oxidation on the wheel caps.... this stuff works like a charm!

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

where can I get "never Dull"?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I've seen it at O'reillys

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Seen it at every auto store... pep boys, oreillys, autozone, even home depot.... good luck...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

also, its in a blue can and when you open it, it looks like dirty cotton, just tear off some wadding and polish away, then wipe the film off.... shiny.....

Yours might be dull do to the fact that they have a clear coat on them. I know on my old set of 99 ws6 rims they did. If so it would be best to strip the clear coat and repolish and see what you get. Believe me they will look 100% better. But once you reclear them you will loose a bit of the luster, but wont have the big headach of polishing to keep them looking good. Check with your local rim repair-tire shop they offer this service as well. About 125-150 a wheel.

I don't suggest using Never Dull. Sometimes it works good but I have used it other times and it has just made the job worse, once was on a set of SS rims.
    I would use mothers or a professional grade polish that you may find at an auto body paint store.
    After you polish the rims use a carnuba wax to protect the polished area. This should keep them really shiny for several months longer and prolong another polishing. I have been detailing for 10 years if that gives me some leverage.

Mothers wheel polish has done a good job on both chrome and polished wheels for me.
    By the way, and I'm not being a smartass, if youre looking at other wheels and they're a lot shinier maybe they're the chrome verion of the WS6 wheels, not the polished one. Personal preference is polished but chrome still look good too. Good luck.

Thread Information