Results 1 to 10 of 10

Polished headlights.........

This is a discussion on Polished headlights......... within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Cleaned up the headlights on my million mile wonder today. Car has 170,000+ miles, these are the original headlights. Before ...

  1. #1
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Polished headlights.........

    Cleaned up the headlights on my million mile wonder today. Car has 170,000+ miles, these are the original headlights. Before & after pics, along with a picture of the product I used. The passenger one was quite a bit worse than the driver side. Both turned out well though.

    Before:




    After:



    What I used to polish them with


  2. #2
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    I bet that car gets all the ladies
    looks good

  3. #3
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Preston, if you didn't wetsand the headlights, your efforts may be short lived.
    However, this is a great opportunity for some experiment.
    Being that you have and use Zaino products, do you have by chance some Zaino Clear Seal?
    I was wondering if you could apply Z5 or Z2 on one of the headlights, and then CS on top to see if the sealant will prolong the looks.
    Then later make a comparison.
    I've been debating between doing headlight restoration with sealant on top, or getting some actual clear coat to seal them...

    I did a co-worker headlights with Meguiars PlastX on her Dodge Neon by hand a couple of years ago, and that didn't last very long. It came out nice, but in like two weeks it was back to where it was before

  4. #4
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Preston, if you didn't wetsand the headlights, your efforts may be short lived.
    However, this is a great opportunity for some experiment.
    Being that you have and use Zaino products, do you have by chance some Zaino Clear Seal?
    I was wondering if you could apply Z5 or Z2 on one of the headlights, and then CS on top to see if the sealant will prolong the looks.
    Then later make a comparison.
    I've been debating between doing headlight restoration with sealant on top, or getting some actual clear coat to seal them...

    I did a co-worker headlights with Meguiars PlastX on her Dodge Neon by hand a couple of years ago, and that didn't last very long. It came out nice, but in like two weeks it was back to where it was before
    I didn't wetsand them. I did use this stuff a while back on them, lasted 6 months, maybe. The idea of using the Zaino Clear Seal is a good one, and I will give it a shot and see what happens with it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I didn't wetsand them. I did use this stuff a while back on them, lasted 6 months, maybe. The idea of using the Zaino Clear Seal is a good one, and I will give it a shot and see what happens with it.
    Six months is not too bad.
    I think the Novus system may contain some protection qualities, as it's a more complete system than the one-step Meguiars I used.
    In any event, it's good to find out if just applying sealant will prolong the durability...

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Is the Novus stuff available at the parts store... or is it a mail order deal? I have never heard of it before in our area.

  7. #7
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is the Novus stuff available at the parts store... or is it a mail order deal? I have never heard of it before in our area.
    You won't find it at an auto parts store. Its not aimed at the auto industry really. Google it and you will find plenty of sources for it. A lot of people use it to polish their hot tubs etc. It works much better than the Meguiars plastic polish however. I think it works better than the Zaino plastic polish as well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is the Novus stuff available at the parts store... or is it a mail order deal? I have never heard of it before in our area.
    I've seen it at some big hardware stores and wherever industrial autobody supplies are sold...

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    They usually have some specialty suppliers at Carlisle -- I'll take a look for it there. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    They usually have some specialty suppliers at Carlisle -- I'll take a look for it there. Thanks!
    I think i got mine through mcmaster carr

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Polished TT2's
    By theorangeguy in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-27-2013, 05:47 AM
  2. Don't Flash Headlights At Any Car With No Headlights On!!
    By Danger731 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
  3. cme polished what do you think?
    By chevygirl in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 07:45 PM
  4. polished headlights?
    By camaro_five0 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 06:56 AM
  5. Polished TT's
    By aPerfectTransAM in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 11:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •