white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Painting my calipers...

Im wantin to paint my calipers black, tips on good paint an prices and is there any precautions i need too know when doing it or just take off my tire an caliper an paint, any advide would be great thanks

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

when i did mine black i went to autozone, and picked up 2 cans for about $7-$8each they were the special paint for calipers i believe DuPont?. Then you'll need to clean the caliper real good before spraying them. Some people recommend scuffing them or sanding them so the paint will stick better, but i didn't and they held up just fine. Then i also coated mine with some high temp clear. also make sure and tape off the face of your rotors and anything else you don't want to get paint on.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

If you decide to paint em...2 things...make sure they are cleaned extensively, even when u think they are clean, clean em down again! By the 4th one you might be slacking so keep that in mind...Also once you have applied the paint let them cure to the directions on the can...like 24hrs or something like that...I helped my buddy paint his stanfg calipers red w the same dupont paint and he was a lazy bastard and now all the paint is peeling off...My calipers are actually in the shop getting powdercoated right now...thats the way to go if you have the money...which I dont but u kno how that goes...shes takes all my $$$

2002 WS6 TranAm

How much are you paying for the powder coating if you don't mind me asking?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I used Duplicolor high temp engine enamel for mine. The first thing we did was remove the calipers (not the lines, otherwise, we would have had to bleed the system).

We covered the entire car with plastic to keep any overspray off.

Next, we cleaned the calipers and brackets with cleaner and took a wire brush to them to get any and all residue off.

Once they were good and clean, we took a rotary took and removed the machine seems on the calipers and smoothed out the surface. Once that was done, we sprayed on a coat of clear adhesive primer to all calipers and brackets.

Once that was dry, we put down three coats of base (red for the calipers and black for the brackets). Once the final layer of base coat was dry, we applied the 'Camaro' decals on each front caliper. And finally, three coats of clear went over everything for added durability.

Last edited by SiggyZ; 05-26-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I posted this up a few months ago. Step by step:

I just did my brake calipers over the weekend: 1) Removed the caliper and used a coathanger to hang it from the wheelwell. 2) Unbolted and removed the caliper bracket and removed the brake disc. 3) Pulled the caliper pins from the bracket, plugged the holes and taped off the lip where the rubber boots seat. 4) Removed the rubber cap from the bleeder. 5) Used brake cleaner on all parts and then went over everything with a small brass brush. 6) More brake cleaner. 7) Taped off the brake hose and bleeder, used a garbage bag and newspaper to cover the suspension, axle and wheelwell. 8) Took a plastic cap from a can of spray paint and cut down the outside to about 3/8 of an inch (easiest way is to run tape around the cap for a straight line) and then slit the center part of the cap so it slides right into the piston and protects the boot also (had to cut a bit deeper for about 1/5 of the circumference for a tight fit). 9) Spray painted the caliper and bracket. 10) Also painted the center of the rotor and hub with POR using a foam brush. Worked great and I didn't have to bleed brakes when I was done.

Shake and Bake Triple H Coating's Avatar

2006 Harley Night Train
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    How much are you paying for the powder coating if you don't mind me asking?
    Just as a baseline for you, we charge $200 for a set of 4. $50 per caliper if you only have 2.

This would include coating the calipers in a base color. Coating the brackets in a base color. Addition of decals if you wanted them. And last a clear coat over the base coat on both the calipers and the brackets (and over the decals if you added them).

Mike

White
    1998 Trans Am

You can actually buy the kit at autozone, advanced, ect... that comes with the prep cleaner and paint in a box.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityTA View Post
    If you decide to paint em...2 things...make sure they are cleaned extensively, even when u think they are clean, clean em down again! By the 4th one you might be slacking so keep that in mind...Also once you have applied the paint let them cure to the directions on the can...like 24hrs or something like that...I helped my buddy paint his stanfg calipers red w the same dupont paint and he was a lazy bastard and now all the paint is peeling off...My calipers are actually in the shop getting powdercoated right now...thats the way to go if you have the money...which I dont but u kno how that goes...shes takes all my $$$

I found a local shop that really is giving me a sweet deal...$100 bucks for all 4. BUT I had to tear them all down, remove the pistons etc, then when I get em back I need to rebuild them...The rebuild kits are gonna cost you another $150 minimum...but my car has 130k so rebuilding the calipers may not be such a bad idea in the first place.

1995 Trans Am: 6spd - Pacesetter LT's - LS1 Front Swap - SLP LS1 FlowPac CAI - MagnaMouth CatBack - De-Cat - Eibach ProKit - Bilsteins - HP Evo's - 3pt. Strut Tower Brace - 4.10 Gears - Spohn Adj. PH - B&M Ripper Shifter

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

The only thing you have to look out for once they are done is letting some goober at a tire store take your wheels off/on for any reason. They just throw the rim back on there and when it falls down and smacks the caliper and chips or scraps the paint it sucks, cuz then you have to do it over again.

Thread Information