Omg car cover

This is a discussion on Omg car cover within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; So this year is the first year i havent had a heated garage to keep my car in thanks to ...

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Omg car cover

So this year is the first year i havent had a heated garage to keep my car in thanks to the bad economy.. so i decided that a car cover would be better than perhaps the sap n bird poop.. BIG MISTAKE the dust that got underneath the car got all kinds of tiny scrapes in the paint, although they are shallow... i sure hope the detailer can fix this problem asap!! it might look ok to someone passing by but anyone can see the scrapes with a close up look...... This is very upsetting.. going to buy a car port here very very very soon

Red
    2001 ws6

as long as you dont rub the cover on the car i dont see why it should scratch......i have mine covered year round, 6 months indoors and 6 months outdoors......never had a problem......

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think it may help to get a good coat of wax on it before storage. What brand and type of cover? Lining?

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Nah its not a great brand.. i just figured it would get a little ruffed up but nothing like this.. im going to buy a car port for next winter and even to protect from the sun for this summer... I plan to have the swirl marks rubbed out and then waxed.. i just hope it will fix these marks.. they arent deep they are very shallow i just hope it looks good again after all the money i spent on the car i should just got the car port instead.. this sucks!!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have been considering an indoor cover from Covercraft. Their Dustop cover is multi-layer and looks like it would fit the bill. I'd like to hear from someone that has actually used it though.

Red
    2001 ws6

i have a cover craft and never had a problem, buddy of mine has a NOAH, i believe its made by covercraft and noah is the type and he loves it

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

how much did you pay for these car covers? i am curious

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I have the OEM Firehawk cover.... I know nothing about car covers. so it's a good thing I don't use it????

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    how much did you pay for these car covers? i am curious
    i paid 160

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I have the OEM Firehawk cover.... I know nothing about car covers. so it's a good thing I don't use it????
    ive never had a problem with mine and i have mine on in all weather conditions, you live in NY, i dont need to explain haha

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I bought mine from California Car Covers and got the NOAH. It's extremely soft on the inside. I paid about $220ish for it if I remember right.

The thing with a car cover is not so much once the cover is on the car...but when you try to take it off or put it on by yourself. It slides over the paint. If you have areas on the inside of the cover that are seemed together rough...it could be an issue or if you try putting it on the car when the car is not clean you are taking that dust and dragging it over your paint.

I've recently seen a few "faint" marks on my car and it is kept in a garage under a cover. Since I've noticed these I've stopped using a car cover all together and just wash it/rinse it before I take it out.

Polishing/buffing your car should clean up those marks no problem. With a good sealant on it afterward would probably alleviate the tiny scratches as well.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I hope you are right because i dont want my car looking dull forever, if it was i would have to paint it all flat black lol!! From now on i am going to buy a car port for the car and just wrap it up on the off season, I know what you are taking about but i had a cheap car cover which did not seal well and allowed dust to blow in between and make the car extra dirty, let not get into detail but it would have been just as cheap to buy a storage unit as it would be to pay to have this car completely buffed and waxed!!

2011 Prius

I have a Cover on the 63 Falcon, it sits in a garage or hanger all year. Never gets beat up from the cover, but I detail it once a year (This year is the most I ever drove it since I owned it, 130 miles).

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    as long as you dont rub the cover on the car i dont see why it should scratch......i have mine covered year round, 6 months indoors and 6 months outdoors......never had a problem......
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I think it may help to get a good coat of wax on it before storage. What brand and type of cover? Lining?
    This is what I have been doing and havent had a problem at all. My car cover was $120.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    So this year is the first year i havent had a heated garage to keep my car in thanks to the bad economy.. so i decided that a car cover would be better than perhaps the sap n bird poop.. BIG MISTAKE the dust that got underneath the car got all kinds of tiny scrapes in the paint, although they are shallow... i sure hope the detailer can fix this problem asap!! it might look ok to someone passing by but anyone can see the scrapes with a close up look...... This is very upsetting.. going to buy a car port here very very very soon
    You will be ok man. Just find a good detailer-which can be a challenge in itself because there are alot of "Detailers" who don't know wtf is going on. The best thing to do is buy a Porter Cable buffer,some pads,microfibers,Menzerna SIP and Nano polish and learn on your own.

Thread Information