Ok so i Messed up:(

This is a discussion on Ok so i Messed up:( within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I let some people at the local chevy dealership buff my car...i was there getting and alignment, and was like ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

Ok so i Messed up:(

I let some people at the local chevy dealership buff my car...i was there getting and alignment, and was like i know some of them. Sure a free wash and wax. Well they buffed it half-assed with a wool bonnet and now there are TONS of swirls and shit.

How do i go about getting it back right? Waht kinda of polish/wax would you recomend. I do have a random orbital buffer, and i really just want it looking good again

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by LS1SSZ28 View Post
    I let some people at the local chevy dealership buff my car...i was there getting and alignment, and was like i know some of them. Sure a free wash and wax. Well they buffed it half-assed with a wool bonnet and now there are TONS of swirls and shit.

How do i go about getting it back right? Waht kinda of polish/wax would you recomend. I do have a random orbital buffer, and i really just want it looking good again
    Normally nobody will give you a free "buff" but it could be that they did it fast, and dragged the pad all over the finish
    Make sure that what you're seeing is not holograms, or if they may have burnt the paint...
    If what you have is swirls, your ROB with an orange pad should take care of all the problems. Something like Menzerna SIP, or Prima Swirl would work well...

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

well i do know they used a rotary with a wool pad...and against my better judgement i let them go ahead....and worse case senario...what if it is holograms?

what would be the best bet?

i bought a PC and im willing to put in the work to have it looking good again

any tips would be greatly appreciated

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by LS1SSZ28 View Post
    well i do know they used a rotary with a wool pad...and against my better judgement i let them go ahead....and worse case senario...what if it is holograms?

what would be the best bet?

i bought a PC and im willing to put in the work to have it looking good again

any tips would be greatly appreciated
    Just use the PC with what I recommended, and you should be fine...
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 11-21-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Red
    1997 Camaro RS

cant go wrong with a pc

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I had alot of really bad swirls and some scratches in my cars paint when I bought it and here is what I used and how I applied it with the Porter Cable 7424.

1) Wash the car using the 2 bucket method and a microfibre mitt to prevent further scratches and swirls. Buy a good car wash that contains essential oils so dirt is not ground into the paint while washing causing further damage. I use ZAINO car wash or Pinnacle bodywork shampoo. Dry the car with a quality microfibre towel.
    2) I purchased some Pinnacle XMT medium and ultra fine swirl remover, a YELLOW Lake Country buffing pad will be needed if the swirls are extreme or a ORANGE Lake Country buffing pad will be needed if the swirls are moderate (you want to use the least aggressive approach first so I would try the Orange pad. I also bought a WHITE Lake Country polishing pad which will be needed.
    3)Mist the orange pad with some quick detailer lightly(or water) Starting with the Medium XMT swirl remover put about a quarter size amount on the ORANGE pad. With the PC turned off rub the pad back and forth on a 2ft x 2ft area(this will prevent the polish from slinging everywhere when you turn the pc on). Turn the pc on 3 and start making slightly overlapping passes (overlap about a inch or so). After 30 seconds bump the PC up to 5 and continue making overlapping passes slowly until the 2x2 area is covered then continue doing overlapping passes in the opposite direction(side to side passes then back and forth passes). Work the polish slowly until it turns translucent. For the swirls on my car a 2x2 area took about 5-7 minutes of working the polish in. Do not use too much product or it will not produce results. Buff the area with a micro fibre clothe and check the results. If swirls are still very noticable-apply more swirl remover and work the same 2x2 area again until the swirls are gone or alot less noticable. Work the polish around the same amount of time doing 2x2 areas until the car is completed. The ultra fine swirl remover will take care of very fine swirls/imperfections.
    4) Ultra fine swirl remover will be used next with a WHITE pad. Mist the pad with QD or water(lightly) and apply a quarter sized amount on the pad. Using the same technique while applying the Medium swirl remover work 2x2 areas at a time. After the Ultra fine swirl remover turns translucent- buff the area with a micro fibre towel and check the results. If more polishing is needed apply a small amount of the polish to the pad and continue on the same area until the desired results are achieved. However long it took to work the polish in the first 2 x 2 area will be around the same amount of time needed to get good results on the rest of the car(while doing a 2 x 2 area at a time)
    5) Now that the car is swirl free you can apply a coat or 2 of carnuba wax.

***This is just a brief overview of what I did to correct the swirls in my paint. I hope it helps you and should be about the same method used for most polishes. I really like the XMT is awsome. Here is a video link that you can watch for removing swirls with the Porter Cable 7424. Good Luck!!!!!

http://www.auto-geek.net/video/Inter...l_removal.html
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 11-26-2007 at 02:15 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

so i had some free time yesterday....used some zymol cleaner wax...the MXT is on the way.....

the pc and zymol def. got ALOT of the stuff out....the car really looks 50X better...and i plan to rebuff once the MXT gets here

ill take some pictures today or tommorow

and thank you guys on the advice!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

No problem man. Best of luck.

Thread Information