Pewter
    1999 Camaro

Question Never Waxed Car Before Need Help!!!

Like the title says I have never waxed my car or any other car for that matter. So I went to autozone and bought the Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System. Here is the kit I bought http://www.mothers.com/products/ click on paint care and its the third one down. It comes with a clay bar, spray instant detailer, and carnauba cleaner wax. My questions are is this everything I need to get a good cleaning and great shine out of my paint or is there other things that I need to use with this kit to get that great shine im looking for? Im really confused polishes ,waxes ,clay bars ,scratch removers, ect. ect. I really dont know what the hell is going on haha. Any tips and suggestions on how to use the stuff I have and what else I need to get would be great. I also have Diaper Soft Polishing Cloths to use with the system is that good or do I need to get some other type of cloths? Here are the cloths I bought http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...ESCI%7C%7Etrue I plan on doing this asap so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Pewter

Re:Never Waxed Car Before Need Help

It takes more brawn than brains to wax a car. But you are off to a good start with the products you purchased.

I think the most important thing is to really get the car clean before you start with the clay. Make sure you get all the road tar, bugs and bird crap off before you clay or wax. Also you might want to touch up or polish any scratches and chips befor you wax.

I would recommend you watch "The Karate Kid" a few times before you start. "Wax on/Wax off"

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

Haha yeah I saw the karate kid and have been practicing that technique for tomorrow when I use the kit. But ive been reading and I have cleaner wax do I need to get a pure wax to apply after I use that kit so I can apply a few coats and layer it to get that great shine?

Bright Purple Metallic

OK, here is the deal. You will not get the shine you see here on pics posted using what you have. This is because the fanatics (including me) go the extra mile for the perfect, flawless finish.

What you will get is a very clean smooth finish to your paint with a decent gloss that will last a few months. If this is what you want then you will not need to do more than what the instructions state. If you are wanting a better finish, read the past info posted.
    Only 34K miles and still counting (that's from Sept '97)

Quote Originally Posted by jsdomino
    It takes more brawn than brains to wax a car. But you are off to a good start with the products you purchased.

I think the most important thing is to really get the car clean before you start with the clay. Make sure you get all the road tar, bugs and bird crap off before you clay or wax. Also you might want to touch up or polish any scratches and chips befor you wax.

I would recommend you watch "The Karate Kid" a few times before you start. "Wax on/Wax off"

i would concur!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

I really want a great shine so after I use this kit im going to get some pure wax and put a few coats of that on to. I havent been able to do it yet because its been raining but ill let everyone know how it went and post some pics (if I can find my camera) if anyones intrested. Thanks for all the help.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

I waxed it yesterday it looks great after I used the kit I went and bought some meguiars gold class wax and added a coat of that. It looks great but I want more so my question is I have heard that some waxes can be layred and others cant is this true? If so does anyone know if meguiars gold class wax can be layred or not?
    Thanks

Bright Purple Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Maro99
    I waxed it yesterday it looks great after I used the kit I went and bought some meguiars gold class wax and added a coat of that. It looks great but I want more so my question is I have heard that some waxes can be layred and others cant is this true? If so does anyone know if meguiars gold class wax can be layred or not?
    Thanks
    Waxes can not be layered. Sealers (such as Zaino) can be layered. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. Do a few searches and you will fornd all the info you need.

Thread Information