Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Angry Need some help with RUST

The other day I noticed my TA has some rust that is right below the battery. I had to buy a new battery and when I took the old one out you can tell the paint is pretty old and the metal on the body looks like rust is building up. Does anyone know what I can do to repair this? I live in Texas so my car has seen it share of rain.
    99 WS6 Trans AM
    Hurst Shifter
    Aftermarket Throttle Body
    KN Air Filter
    Strut Tower Brace
    Z06 Rims

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Remove the battery and tray/tank and anything else that is easily removable to give yourself some space to work. You can either wire brush or sand the rusty metal to knock off any chunky stuff. Then, using either sand paper or a scotch pad, rough up the surrounding area a bit before cleaning and degreasing.

Once everything is prepped, mask off all the surrounding areas and lay newspaper or garbage bags over your fender, engine, radiator and front fascia. Tape it off to prevent gaps in your cover material. You can also wrap items in aluminum foil to protect them from overspray. You should either use a rust preventative primer, a rust converter, or something like POR-15 to paint over the rusted area.

A couple of light coats work best and again, be careful about overspray. Then top coat the primer with a color matching your body color. If it is all covered anyway by the battery, just get the color close as the goal is simply to protect the metal. Before reinstalling the battery, wash it down with soapy water to remove any acid leakage as this will eat into the new paint before re-assembling everything.

I think ls1camino recently posted a thread, which included pics, about fixing some underhood rust also. Good luck.

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

There is a spray battery compartment paint that helps to keep corrosion from coming back and also protects from acid spill or leaks.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Remove the battery and tray/tank and anything else that is easily removable to give yourself some space to work. You can either wire brush or sand the rusty metal to knock off any chunky stuff. Then, using either sand paper or a scotch pad, rough up the surrounding area a bit before cleaning and degreasing.

Once everything is prepped, mask off all the surrounding areas and lay newspaper or garbage bags over your fender, engine, radiator and front fascia. Tape it off to prevent gaps in your cover material. You can also wrap items in aluminum foil to protect them from overspray. You should either use a rust preventative primer, a rust converter, or something like POR-15 to paint over the rusted area.

A couple of light coats work best and again, be careful about overspray. Then top coat the primer with a color matching your body color. If it is all covered anyway by the battery, just get the color close as the goal is simply to protect the metal. Before reinstalling the battery, wash it down with soapy water to remove any acid leakage as this will eat into the new paint before re-assembling everything.

I think ls1camino recently posted a thread, which included pics, about fixing some underhood rust also. Good luck.
    Very nice!
    POR15 sells some awesome stuff for that type of problem.
    Do a Google search and you'll find what you need there...

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Thanks guys for the responses' I just got paid today so I will defiantly look into what I need to prevent this from becoming worst.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post

This is AWESOME .. thanks for the write up!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

yeah i remember having to do the same thing last year....just take your time and get all the rust off..and make sure you take your time at covering everything up before you paint, its all in the pre-work before you paint that makes a difference...good luck!

Thread Information