Need Help!!! (sort of long)

This is a discussion on Need Help!!! (sort of long) within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; OK, here is what I have: PC 7336sp Brand new Lake Country Yellow (heavy cut) and White (mild Cut) pads ...

Bright Purple Metallic

Exclamation Need Help!!! (sort of long)

OK, here is what I have:

PC 7336sp
    Brand new Lake Country Yellow (heavy cut) and White (mild Cut) pads
    Meguirs #2 and #9
    Zaino PC-Fusion, ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z8

Here is my problem. I am trying to get my car back to looking like it rolled out of the show room (if possible). I am brand new to using a DA polisher and the methods. I have looked on the internet and read a lot but, I am not getting the results that I thought I would.

I started with the yellow pad and Megs #2. According to the internet and a application guide that I got from 'Classic motoring Accessories' I compounded the vehicle. This seemed to diminish some of the scratches (surface only) in the vehicle but, did not fully remove then. Plus it left the surface dull (to be expected which is stated in the application guide). The dull surface stems from very tiny swirls in on the surface made by the pad/compound combo.

Now I went back with the white pad and Meg #9 and it restored the shine. But, when I look at the surface in incandecent light, I still see some fine swirls and scratches on the surface. I tried the PC-Fusion and it seems to lessen the fine swirls a little better.

So, what did I (or doing) wrong? Will Z5 eventually hide the swirls (which I doubt) or do I need to keep at it with some pad/polish combination?

My ultimate goal is to have the vehicle as swirl/scratch free before I Zaino. The car was clayed and washed prior to any compound/polishing was started.

PLEASE, do not make this into a Wax war or Zaino bashing issue. I am dead set on finishing the car using Zaino and willing to only use Meguirs for prepping the car.
    Only 34K miles and still counting (that's from Sept '97)

NBM
    2000 WS6

You'll have to go over it another 1 or 2 times with the #9 or the PC-Fusion . Keep at it. It will get better....
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

Awaiting Activation

purple
    98 ta

One purple owner to another, this purple is tough to keep clean. it shows everthing , ever little thing.

when i got my car it had tons of clear coat scratches and everone showed.

i had the car wet sanded and recleared and that was the only way it clean it up.
    I tryed everthing before that.

be very careful , i had paint to come off when sanding and had to repaint , the paint just peeled off.

i think this is the reason GM stop useing BPM paint..
    Last edited by 98bpmta; 05-07-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Bright Purple Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto
    You'll have to go over it another 1 or 2 times with the #9 or the PC-Fusion . Keep at it. It will get better....
    Damn, just what I did not want to here. Oh, well, as long as it looks good.

Bright Purple Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 98bpmta
    One purple owner to another, this purple is tough to keep clean. it shows everthing , ever little thing.

when i got my car it had tons of clear coat scratches and everone showed.

i had the car wet sanded and recleared and that was the only way it clean it up.
    I tryed everthing before that.

be very careful , i had paint to come off when sanding and had to repaint , the paint just peeled off.

i think this is the reason GM stop useing BPM paint..
    Yeah, that is why they did stop BPM because of the peeling issue. I have not had any problems with the paint. Just trying to keep it clean is the tough part.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Purple TA
    Damn, just what I did not want to here. Oh, well, as long as it looks good.
    Try a spot with the #9 and the yellow pad and see if that does anything for you and then the #9 and the white pad. It will start looking good for you .........

Bright Purple Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto
    Try a spot with the #9 and the yellow pad and see if that does anything for you and then the #9 and the white pad. It will start looking good for you .........
    It is becoming obvious that there is not a precise science to using a DA polisher. This is not a good thing for an Engineer. I have thought about this idea and going to give it a try tonight. Thanks for the input.

NBM
    2000 WS6

It is becoming obvious that there is not a precise science to using a DA polisher. This is not a good thing for an Engineer. I have thought about this idea and going to give it a try tonight. Thanks for the input.
    LOL ......Made you think did I...?

This is where things go wrong sometimes when you change product AND pad at the same time. When you can get different abrasiveness by using the same polish and switch the pad type.

Hope it helps you out........

red
    04 pontiac gto

OK, here is what I have:

PC 7336sp
    Brand new Lake Country Yellow (heavy cut) and White (mild Cut) pads
    Meguirs #2 and #9
    Zaino PC-Fusion, ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z8

Here is my problem. I am trying to get my car back to looking like it rolled out of the show room (if possible). I am brand new to using a DA polisher and the methods. I have looked on the internet and read a lot but, I am not getting the results that I thought I would.

I started with the yellow pad and Megs #2. According to the internet and a application guide that I got from 'Classic motoring Accessories' I compounded the vehicle. This seemed to diminish some of the scratches (surface only) in the vehicle but, did not fully remove then. Plus it left the surface dull (to be expected which is stated in the application guide). The dull surface stems from very tiny swirls in on the surface made by the pad/compound combo.

Now I went back with the white pad and Meg #9 and it restored the shine. But, when I look at the surface in incandecent light, I still see some fine swirls and scratches on the surface. I tried the PC-Fusion and it seems to lessen the fine swirls a little better.

So, what did I (or doing) wrong? Will Z5 eventually hide the swirls (which I doubt) or do I need to keep at it with some pad/polish combination?

My ultimate goal is to have the vehicle as swirl/scratch free before I Zaino. The car was clayed and washed prior to any compound/polishing was started.

PLEASE, do not make this into a Wax war or Zaino bashing issue. I am dead set on finishing the car using Zaino and willing to only use Meguirs for prepping the car.
    i feel your pain .i myself was in the same situation.i only use the zpc fusion then alot of coats with the z5 then finsihed with the z2 and you have to really get down and dirty to see the scrathes that were once there.as for app pads i used the type that you get from the zaino store(got them from pepboys).does the different pads really make a difference?

Thread Information