Results 1 to 20 of 20

The Mystical Cracks! Can it be fixed?

This is a discussion on The Mystical Cracks! Can it be fixed? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Hey everyone, i am sure you all know of the "firebird crack" on the door panels. Well i had an ...

  1. #1
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    The Mystical Cracks! Can it be fixed?

    Hey everyone, i am sure you all know of the "firebird crack" on the door panels. Well i had an idea...What if i can take the panel off and do the staple-screw change and to fix the existing crack maybe put something behind it to "close the gap" and put some vinyl touch up from my local Wally World? Would this be possible? i Have a crack in the same place on both panels. On the top area above the leather part. Its split completely. So again if i can find some way to close the gap and cover the left over with some touch up stuff from Wal-Mart? Opinions? I called my GM dealership and is what i figured..discontinued the door panel production...=/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    181

    navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

    lots of people use JB weld to fill it in and use a leather repair kit or something to give it the texture back. looks okay.

  3. #3
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    lots of people use JB weld to fill it in and use a leather repair kit or something to give it the texture back. looks okay.
    Now if the tops of the it are faded too from what i presume was caused by the sunlight. (man some people just dont take care of their cars) Recommend a good touch up paint that wont peel off lol?

  4. #4
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Here's a thread that may be helpful

    cracked door panels ?

  5. #5
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Here's a thread that may be helpful

    cracked door panels ?
    That shows if the crack is minro. Its completely split on both panels, at the top. I was thinking of putting something behind it to bring the crack together and cover the remaining crack with some kind of touch up paint or something

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    In addition to what K.R. posted -- this is a good article that has been referenced on here a couple of times: http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html


    -----------------------------------

    This article is linked in the other thread as well.

  7. #7
    Member supaxero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    desert
    Posts
    179

    metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    i hate my cracks! please keep us posted on your repair

  8. #8
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    In addition to what K.R. posted -- this is a good article that has been referenced on here a couple of times: http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html


    -----------------------------------

    This article is linked in the other thread as well.
    That link is in post #7

  9. #9
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Again, that is talkiing if the crack is minor. Mines a it worse then that. So noone knows if my little idea will work?? Put something behind to close the gap? maybe fill it what i cant close? and then use some touch up t restore some texture? Well the whole panel needs a touch up cuz its fading. Sickens me to think of how this car was treated from what ive found. http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/y...panelcrack.jpg

  10. #10
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmPhantom View Post
    Again, that is talkiing if the crack is minor. Mines a it worse then that. So noone knows if my little idea will work?? Put something behind to close the gap? maybe fill it what i cant close? and then use some touch up t restore some texture? Well the whole panel needs a touch up cuz its fading. Sickens me to think of how this car was treated from what ive found. http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/y...panelcrack.jpg
    That is pretty bad. The way I see it, you've got nothing to lose by trying out your idea. Seems that rigging a backing and then filling it in is the only option you have as a fix.

    I hope it works out for you. If you do it, post up some pictures from start to finish. You may be able to help someone else out who has the same issue if it works out well.

    Other than that, sorry, I've got nothing.

  11. #11
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    That is pretty bad. The way I see it, you've got nothing to lose by trying out your idea. Seems that rigging a backing and then filling it in is the only option you have as a fix.

    I hope it works out for you. If you do it, post up some pictures from start to finish. You may be able to help someone else out who has the same issue if it works out well.

    Other than that, sorry, I've got nothing.
    Worst case, if i am lookin' to buy some panels. Any ideas?..didnt see any on ebay. And GM is bein' a douche and discontinued service. Where i can find some?

  12. #12
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmPhantom View Post
    Worst case, if i am lookin' to buy some panels. Any ideas?..didnt see any on ebay. And GM is bein' a douche and discontinued service. Where i can find some?
    I would keep checking ebay. New stuff pops up all the time. Other then that, I'd check out your local pick a part, keep checking the for sale section here. People part out their cars all the time.

  13. #13
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28


  14. #14
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Lies! you put that there. i just checked lol. Thanks mate.

  15. #15
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I would keep checking ebay. New stuff pops up all the time. Other then that, I'd check out your local pick a part, keep checking the for sale section here. People part out their cars all the time.
    Ima see if i can get a few more opinions and then maybe go for my repair plan on my panels first tho. And if it dont turn out well. Then ill check again.

  16. #16
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmPhantom View Post
    Ima see if i can get a few more opinions and then maybe go for my repair plan on my panels first tho. And if it dont turn out well. Then ill check again.
    I hope it works out for you. But, I will say, not sure how many more opinions you're gonna get. You only have the few options really.

    And, while there are a couple of door panels on ebay right now... they won't last forever and no telling when others will show up. They seem to be in very good condition and a fair price too. I'll assume you're not the only one looking for a new pair either as this is a common issue with these cars. They could sell at anytime.

    Either way, let us know how it works out.

  17. #17
    Member speedyWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    494

    Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

    Guys..,

    Unless i am wrong but i don't think so.... i reckon the door panel material is ABS as most panels and stuff like this is made this way today.

    I have a 2000 WS6 with a door crack which i will do once i get her home soon from the shippers premises as i have imported her!!

    If you google bonding ABS there is a lot written about using acetone and this is spot on. I did a practice piece at work today by bonding two flat pieces together and doing a "mild" clamping as the panel will not lend itself to really hefty clamping and after about three hours i did a real pull and rip and shear and every other test and it was "as one" and all this from just a good "flood" of acetone on the mating parts (as opposed to just a light wipe) and once bonded i guess you will be able to fill the crack that remains on the visible side with a suitable filler material?!

    I am slightly more fortunate in that my crack is a very mild one of around 3/4"
    and will hopefully "relax" back together once i do the full repair with the staple mod etc.

    I hope this acetone suggestion is of some help and is of benefit

    Trev... )
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 03-18-2010 at 12:58 PM.

  18. #18
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I hope it works out for you. But, I will say, not sure how many more opinions you're gonna get. You only have the few options really.

    And, while there are a couple of door panels on ebay right now... they won't last forever and no telling when others will show up. They seem to be in very good condition and a fair price too. I'll assume you're not the only one looking for a new pair either as this is a common issue with these cars. They could sell at anytime.

    Either way, let us know how it works out.
    well there is only 1 ebony anyways. What i meant by opinion, is there was a write up of someone i think here or on ls1tech. they covered their panels with vinyl, i was thinking maybe this. But thanks for your concern mate! I unfortunately cant get to it for a few weeks since..my car musta been mistreated quite badly cuz everything is going wrong with it lol. This is my second ls1 and the first one had way more miles. So...=/

  19. #19
    Member supaxero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    desert
    Posts
    179

    metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    ive been looking for awhile and its hard to find some that dont have any cracks

  20. #20
    Member TransAmPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    128

    Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    ive been looking for awhile and its hard to find some that dont have any cracks
    I just found out GM still supports a few different types of the door panels but for my model of car or trim or w/e the dude said..discontinued. But they go for 600-900 dollars a piece!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Notorious door cracks..need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By derekws6 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
  2. anyone have cracks in their paint?
    By hossv6 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM
  3. cracks in bellhousing
    By occamaroz in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 05:15 AM
  4. Door Panel Cracks
    By wnmech in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 01:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •