Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

The Mystical Cracks! Can it be fixed?

Hey everyone, i am sure you all know of the "firebird crack" on the door panels. Well i had an idea...What if i can take the panel off and do the staple-screw change and to fix the existing crack maybe put something behind it to "close the gap" and put some vinyl touch up from my local Wally World? Would this be possible? i Have a crack in the same place on both panels. On the top area above the leather part. Its split completely. So again if i can find some way to close the gap and cover the left over with some touch up stuff from Wal-Mart? Opinions? I called my GM dealership and is what i figured..discontinued the door panel production...=/

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

lots of people use JB weld to fill it in and use a leather repair kit or something to give it the texture back. looks okay.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    lots of people use JB weld to fill it in and use a leather repair kit or something to give it the texture back. looks okay.
    Now if the tops of the it are faded too from what i presume was caused by the sunlight. (man some people just dont take care of their cars) Recommend a good touch up paint that wont peel off lol?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Here's a thread that may be helpful

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86198

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Here's a thread that may be helpful

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86198
    That shows if the crack is minro. Its completely split on both panels, at the top. I was thinking of putting something behind it to bring the crack together and cover the remaining crack with some kind of touch up paint or something

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In addition to what K.R. posted -- this is a good article that has been referenced on here a couple of times: http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html

-----------------------------------

This article is linked in the other thread as well.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i hate my cracks! please keep us posted on your repair

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    In addition to what K.R. posted -- this is a good article that has been referenced on here a couple of times: http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html

-----------------------------------

This article is linked in the other thread as well.
    That link is in post #7

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Again, that is talkiing if the crack is minor. Mines a it worse then that. So noone knows if my little idea will work?? Put something behind to close the gap? maybe fill it what i cant close? and then use some touch up t restore some texture? Well the whole panel needs a touch up cuz its fading. Sickens me to think of how this car was treated from what ive found. http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/y...panelcrack.jpg

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmPhantom View Post
    Again, that is talkiing if the crack is minor. Mines a it worse then that. So noone knows if my little idea will work?? Put something behind to close the gap? maybe fill it what i cant close? and then use some touch up t restore some texture? Well the whole panel needs a touch up cuz its fading. Sickens me to think of how this car was treated from what ive found. http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/y...panelcrack.jpg
    That is pretty bad. The way I see it, you've got nothing to lose by trying out your idea. Seems that rigging a backing and then filling it in is the only option you have as a fix.

I hope it works out for you. If you do it, post up some pictures from start to finish. You may be able to help someone else out who has the same issue if it works out well.

Other than that, sorry, I've got nothing.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

That is pretty bad. The way I see it, you've got nothing to lose by trying out your idea. Seems that rigging a backing and then filling it in is the only option you have as a fix.

I hope it works out for you. If you do it, post up some pictures from start to finish. You may be able to help someone else out who has the same issue if it works out well.

Other than that, sorry, I've got nothing.
    Worst case, if i am lookin' to buy some panels. Any ideas?..didnt see any on ebay. And GM is bein' a douche and discontinued service. Where i can find some?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Worst case, if i am lookin' to buy some panels. Any ideas?..didnt see any on ebay. And GM is bein' a douche and discontinued service. Where i can find some?
    I would keep checking ebay. New stuff pops up all the time. Other then that, I'd check out your local pick a part, keep checking the for sale section here. People part out their cars all the time.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Lies! you put that there. i just checked lol. Thanks mate.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

I would keep checking ebay. New stuff pops up all the time. Other then that, I'd check out your local pick a part, keep checking the for sale section here. People part out their cars all the time.
    Ima see if i can get a few more opinions and then maybe go for my repair plan on my panels first tho. And if it dont turn out well. Then ill check again.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ima see if i can get a few more opinions and then maybe go for my repair plan on my panels first tho. And if it dont turn out well. Then ill check again.
    I hope it works out for you. But, I will say, not sure how many more opinions you're gonna get. You only have the few options really.

And, while there are a couple of door panels on ebay right now... they won't last forever and no telling when others will show up. They seem to be in very good condition and a fair price too. I'll assume you're not the only one looking for a new pair either as this is a common issue with these cars. They could sell at anytime.

Either way, let us know how it works out.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Guys..,

Unless i am wrong but i don't think so.... i reckon the door panel material is ABS as most panels and stuff like this is made this way today.

I have a 2000 WS6 with a door crack which i will do once i get her home soon from the shippers premises as i have imported her!!

If you google bonding ABS there is a lot written about using acetone and this is spot on. I did a practice piece at work today by bonding two flat pieces together and doing a "mild" clamping as the panel will not lend itself to really hefty clamping and after about three hours i did a real pull and rip and shear and every other test and it was "as one" and all this from just a good "flood" of acetone on the mating parts (as opposed to just a light wipe) and once bonded i guess you will be able to fill the crack that remains on the visible side with a suitable filler material?!

I am slightly more fortunate in that my crack is a very mild one of around 3/4"
    and will hopefully "relax" back together once i do the full repair with the staple mod etc.

I hope this acetone suggestion is of some help and is of benefit

Trev... )
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 03-18-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

I hope it works out for you. But, I will say, not sure how many more opinions you're gonna get. You only have the few options really.

And, while there are a couple of door panels on ebay right now... they won't last forever and no telling when others will show up. They seem to be in very good condition and a fair price too. I'll assume you're not the only one looking for a new pair either as this is a common issue with these cars. They could sell at anytime.

Either way, let us know how it works out.
    well there is only 1 ebony anyways. What i meant by opinion, is there was a write up of someone i think here or on ls1tech. they covered their panels with vinyl, i was thinking maybe this. But thanks for your concern mate! I unfortunately cant get to it for a few weeks since..my car musta been mistreated quite badly cuz everything is going wrong with it lol. This is my second ls1 and the first one had way more miles. So...=/

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

ive been looking for awhile and its hard to find some that dont have any cracks

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    ive been looking for awhile and its hard to find some that dont have any cracks
    I just found out GM still supports a few different types of the door panels but for my model of car or trim or w/e the dude said..discontinued. But they go for 600-900 dollars a piece!

Thread Information