Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

mystic teal, i want my baby to look brand new

so guys i am in the process of making my 99 camaro a monster and it will be done in a bout five months, that is everything except the paint.

Now the car is the mystic teal color , or whatever you call it, i just want to keep it that color. The question i had is will it cost more to paint it since it has a color changing thing going on. The paint is rough all around, and several chips here and there, i just want to get it wet sanded and go over the big chips with fresh paint, but is that possible with my car???

I want the paint to look brand new, and super clean, what should i do?
    If anybody wants pictures, i can post them up tommorow if the sun is shining.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Post some pics...

teal

i will post some up in the morning. I am currently on duty, so the first thing i will do when i get home is take some pictures and post the pics.

teal

here are some pics, sorry for the late post on them. but i was spending time with my girl and by time i decided to take the pictures there was hardly a sun, so i took some today during work.

Here you can see the swirls on the hod, that i am not worried about since i am going to get a cf hood. But those swirls are almost everywhere.

I also want to get this part just clean again and probably put a clear coat on it so that it does not look all gaffed up just like the little pice by the window.

here you can see how messed up the front of the car is.

This one is all my fault. I used to live in a place with a garage large enough to barely fit a pinto in, i was living there for a few months and just got a little comfortable with my skills, obviously they suck.

There are a few chips like this all over the car.

Here you can catch a glimpse of the swirls, it is easy to see in person, but does not show up as easy on a camera.

and last but not least here he is looking decent in the dark, but he looks horrible in the daylight.

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

im lookin for the same info, my mystic teal is startin to look a little rough

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

regardless of the scrapes n bruises the car has..gotta hand it to ya..you got the most unique looking ss on ls1.com ive seen..

glimmerglassdetailing.com

Topaz Blue, White
    2002 BMW M3, S10 Xtreme

Maybe just respray the front bumper and give the remainder a good detail session? Its going to be really expensive to wet sand the entire car

like I give a FUCK

05 gto
    stock n paid for

If u want the car like new, Id sand the whole car with 600. Fill all the chips. primer the chips. repaint the whole car. wont take much base coat because you aren't changing colors.Probably cost you a couple of grand to look nice.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

One you get the finish back to the way you want it, there are some companies that make a product called "Invisible Bra" or something similar. It's a 3M film product that's custom cut for your car that goes on the bumper, front edge of the hood, headlight doors (I have a T/A) etc. that will protect your finish like a fabric bra against small stones, chipping, and other daily driving debris. It's squeegeed on a clean pristine surface using water with 2 drops of dish detergent in it to help slide the mask in place. It dries overnight and is semi-permanent (it can be removed with no damage to the paint). I wish I knew about it after I had my car repainted - now that the headlight doors have rock chips.... I'm going to have it put on my car after it gets repainted. I got the product for my brother's SUV and it works great - it's not totally invisible but you have to look really hard to see it. It's only noticeable on a surface that it doesn't fully cover, like the front edge of the hood. What gives it away is the visual transition between the film and the paint. It's not perfect but it's close to it - and if you're a finish fanatic like me, it sure beats rock chips!
    Last edited by Fastcar; 01-20-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by sercastiK View Post
    If u want the car like new, Id sand the whole car with 600. Fill all the chips. primer the chips. repaint the whole car. wont take much base coat because you aren't changing colors.Probably cost you a couple of grand to look nice.

teal

thanks guys, and the idea of the "invisible bra sounds good to me.
    The whole idea of taking it to body work scares me. I've modded a few cars in my short life but never taken one to have body or paint work done.

pewter
    02' Z28

Rod, that is the is the uglist looking camaro I've ever seen! LOL! Hey bro but seriously, I'd estimate at least 2000 to restore to the original factory color. First they would sand off most of the clear coat, then do some bodywork, smoothing out dents repairing the front facia, etc. Then apply a little bit of primer to the areas that no longer have paint on. Then they would clean it with a special solvent thats way there are no imperfections in the paint. The whole car would have to be painted, mos areas would probably only require 1 coat just to help brighten up whats already there. But the areas where primer was applied would need a few coats not to mention the blending of those spots to the rest of the car. You know what would give it that extra touch, add a bit of pearl to the clear coat and it'll make that paint glisten like the ocean during sunset.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Yeah, the front nose will need painting for sure, some of the chips may be able to blend in a little, the problem is, your paint is a hard one to match if just doing a section as opposed to painting the whole car...
    2007 Audi RS 4

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by maxpit View Post
    Rod, that is the is the uglist looking camaro I've ever seen! LOL! Hey bro but seriously, I'd estimate at least 2000 to restore to the original factory color. First they would sand off most of the clear coat, then do some bodywork, smoothing out dents repairing the front facia, etc. Then apply a little bit of primer to the areas that no longer have paint on. Then they would clean it with a special solvent thats way there are no imperfections in the paint. The whole car would have to be painted, mos areas would probably only require 1 coat just to help brighten up whats already there. But the areas where primer was applied would need a few coats not to mention the blending of those spots to the rest of the car. You know what would give it that extra touch, add a bit of pearl to the clear coat and it'll make that paint glisten like the ocean during sunset.
    ^ ouch! seriously though-I wouldnt be going for any more "special effects" and if you are going to repaint- repaint it a color you really want-believe me the extra money will be well worth it IMO.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

its either a love or hate car..i love the color

teal

i also love the color of the ca, that is why i picked that one up, oh and don't worry about maxpit he is my friend, and he is just a hater. He knows in a few months once my twin turbo setup is on there, he won't be able to beat me =).

Z06-Goose, that is also one thing i worried about, I guess i will just have them through a fresh coat on the whole car and hopefully they can match up the paint with the spots that need more work.

pewter
    02' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    i also love the color of the ca, that is why i picked that one up, oh and don't worry about maxpit he is my friend, and he is just a hater. He knows in a few months once my twin turbo setup is on there, he won't be able to beat me =).

Z06-Goose, that is also one thing i worried about, I guess i will just have them through a fresh coat on the whole car and hopefully they can match up the paint with the spots that need more work.
    We'll see... I'm telling you get the pearl added to the claer coat and it'll look sick.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

I had my previous firebird convertible resprayed (it was the same color) on the hood, front bumper, and fenders. Because of the metal flake and color it was, it ended up being pretty damn expensive. I went to the cheapest place in town that still did great work and it ended up costing around $1300.

Thread Information