black
    01 pontiac transam ws6 m6

My car has just been violated!

I went away for a weekend to SLO, Ca. Once i got back my car looks a bit different my paint looks smuggy. No more bright shiny black car it looks ugly. My gf washed it at one of those self car washing places with those big push brooms that have soap foam, wax, etc... any way those things scratch cars paint. There are now scratch swirls on evey square in of the car. I do not know much about paint or waxing anything in the detailing department so, my question is what do I do about the paint? Do I need a new paint job? Is there a product out there or some type of procedure I must do to ride every square ince of swirls on my car? Please any feedback will help I am going NUTS!!!

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

yeah, smack your girlfriend, and then send the paint bill to the car wash company.

Never let anyone else drive your car! Seriously.

Midnight blue
    1999 Trans am

My GF called me stingy cause I wouldn't let her drive my ta. got too much ass for her.

navy blue metallic
    2000 camaro ss

NEVER,never have i taken my ss to a car wash,just for the reasons you stated.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

same here

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

You will have to have the car buffed. Wax will hide the swirls until the next wash or rain.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by opprime View Post
    My GF called me stingy cause I wouldn't let her drive my ta. got too much ass for her.
    LOL....It may have too much ass for her BUT it will be no ass for you if you don't let her drive it...
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

any pics?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    LOL....It may have too much ass for her BUT it will be no ass for you if you don't let her drive it...
    cool sig

sped
    I work at a car wash, and I will not bring my TA anywhere near it. I see the frequent customers and what it does to their cars.

Red
    1997 Camaro RS

never do i take my car to a car wash. best bet is to have someone that knows what they are doing buff and polish it out.

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by RYDER661 View Post
    I went away for a weekend to SLO, Ca. Once i got back my car looks a bit different my paint looks smuggy. No more bright shiny black car it looks ugly. My gf washed it at one of those self car washing places with those big push brooms that have soap foam, wax, etc... any way those things scratch cars paint. There are now scratch swirls on evey square in of the car. I do not know much about paint or waxing anything in the detailing department so, my question is what do I do about the paint? Do I need a new paint job? Is there a product out there or some type of procedure I must do to ride every square ince of swirls on my car? Please any feedback will help I am going NUTS!!!
    Any luck yet? I've been there. (My wife's 02 GMC Jimmy came off the lot like that, so I've got some experience. Don't worry, it's fixable).

Side note... I think your g/f was just trying to be good to you and have your car cleaned for you. It's one of those nesting things the ladies do. Hope you weren't too hard on her. I'm 42, and married 15 years. So, I've been there more times than I care to count. Not just the car, but a lot of things. Trust me. When you let things slide when the intentions were good, you look like the hero. Not saying be a door-mat. Just not a butt head. I've been both. (Butt head just last night...) It's better to be the hero when you can.

OK, back to the topic at hand.

Here's the fix given to me by Sal Zaino. (Most of you guys know of him, but I've seen a couple of his cars in person. They are immaculate and the paint is perfect. When I was in high school in Brooklyn in the early 80s, he was well know for his custom paint work. He knows his stuff as well as anyone).

He recommended 3M Swirl Mark Remover. At the time, Zaino didn't have this product. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Use an orbital buffer with a couple foam pads. They slip over like those goofy hats the French wear. I bought mine for about $50, if I recall. You can do it by hand, but the time and effort saved is well worth it. Plus, you can use it every year or two if needed. I don't care how well you take care of the car's paint. If you drive the car regularly, you'll get swirl marks.

So, I'd get that. Use the orbital buffer and in a couple hours, you will have a shiny, new and clean finish. Maybe better than before.

While you're at it, you might want to order some Z5, Z2 (I alternate them), ZFX, Z6 and/or Z8 (Z8 is the bomb, see my other post) and some Z7. The products rock.

After that, you can email or even call Sal. He will take the time to help you get that paint looking better than new.

Let me know if this helped. You can email me if you like. tomscott@cfl.rr.com.
    Tom 06 GTO
    Spice Red 6 Speed 18" Wheels

Used to Be... Tom 02 Z28 - 6/01 to 8/06
    My 02 Z28 - Sold 8/27/06

Used to Be... Tom 99 SS - Gathering 3 & 4 Days
    My 99 SS - Still on Sal's Website

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Car Wash

I see that you guys dont take your cars to the car wash. Where do you wash them? do you wash them by hand at home, every time? Previously, when I washed my car at home, I still got some minor scratches and swirl marks. I have tried every cleaning /drying method you could possibly think of and I still get those scratches that you get when you go to the car wash and use the brush? I have pretty much given up-HELP.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I see that you guys dont take your cars to the car wash. Where do you wash them? do you wash them by hand at home, every time? Previously, when I washed my car at home, I still got some minor scratches and swirl marks. I have tried every cleaning /drying method you could possibly think of and I still get those scratches that you get when you go to the car wash and use the brush? I have pretty much given up-HELP.
    I'd like to say wash with a quality wash mitt and dry with a good cotton towel. And never wash or dry like you're trying to rub the paint off........

6 Speed / Spice Red

Spice Red
    06 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post

I use Z7 (Zaino)... it has lubricants in it that protect the finish from getting scratched by dirt. Wash from the top down, lower panels, then wheels last. (Brake dust scratches).

I use a cotton towel, trimmed down to hand towel size with the stitches cut off.

Read some of Sal's tips and tricks here...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z

Z5 fills in swirl marks

And see my post above.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Instead of using a cotton towel that will just smear the water around, you should use microfiber clothes. They work great for removing wax when waxing, and drying the car off after washing. You won't scratch it, or leave any lint specks on it, and are very absorbant. That is one of the most important thing a friend of mine that ownes a detail shop showed me. He's been detailing cars for over 10 years, and I've spent 5 years painting and doing bodywork.
    Also back to the original question. It can and will need to be buffed out.

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

At a minimum: Begin by washing the car with a good quality soap, Next use wax remover, then use a clay bar to remove debris, use a polish to remove surface swirls, then re-wax.

There are lots of companies that make the above items and you can either order from Zaino or pick up McGuiers at a local automotive store. Regardless of your preference for brand, I would recommend trying this before you go to the buffer or paint shop! Besides, if you aren't able to remove the swirls, you'll have everything you need to take care of your car after she comes back from the paint shop!!
    Mike

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

i would give your girlfriend a fresh one!!!!! then i'd give her a "DIRTY SANCHEZ" then make her pay for the detail job that your gonna have to get to help replenish your ride.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSNAKEATER23 View Post
    i would give your girlfriend a fresh one!!!!! then i'd give her a "DIRTY SANCHEZ" then make her pay for the detail job that your gonna have to get to help replenish your ride.
    that makes me its the thought that counts..like said before they only ment good. my ex g/f waxed my car once when i was sick and asleep..she did a horrible job but you know what i loved it and loved her for doing it..........the next day i re-did it right

Thread Information