Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Menzerna SIP For 4th Gen's Hard Clear Coat?

This is a discussion on Menzerna SIP For 4th Gen's Hard Clear Coat? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 I have the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and follow up with Menzerna Nano finishing polish. Works ...

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I have the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and follow up with Menzerna Nano finishing polish. Works great. Last the Pinnacle Souveran paste wax.

I thought there was no hope for my paint other than a repaint till I went with Menz. I had scratches everywhere, bad swirls and oxidation. I couldn't believe the results.

I tried a couple other cheaper products first- just a waste of $ and contained fillers.
    Yeah its good stuff. But they contain fillers, so you still need the IPA wipedown.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    Yeah its good stuff. But they contain fillers, so you still need the IPA wipedown.
    According to what I have read Menzerna contains no fillers.
    http://www.properautocare.com/aboutmenzerna.html

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    According to what I have read Menzerna contains no fillers.
    http://www.properautocare.com/aboutmenzerna.html
    I should have been more precise... Not dedicated fillers, but oils (inherent in almost every polish out there) that remain on the surface can 'act' like fillers. If you are waxing you don't really NEED to do the IPA wipedown, but I'd recommend it just to check the true clarity of the work. That site also says you often can go straight to waxing, which means not always. And you need to remove those oils before using a sealant or it will not bond properly.

I'm not saying its a bad product, I use it almost exclusively, but I'm just saying its a very good idea for the IPA wipedown and it only takes about 3 minutes.

Black
    00 WS6

Get the Porter Cable 7424XP. Lake country 5.5" orange, white, and black pads, and Megs 105/205 and Menzerna SIP. That is your starting point and will do you well. Yes you can wax after that. But you have to do an IPA (isoprophyl alcohol) wipedown first to strip the oils from polishing and to truly check your work as the polishes do contain fillers. Get a spray bottle, 50% water, 50% isoprophyl alcohol (91%) and use it like a detail spray. Then you can wax.

I did a google search on isoprophyl alcohol and I found that it's rubbing alcohol, is that true? And where can I buy it?

Should I go with a 5" or 6" backing plate?

This is the kit I'm looking at for $232.93 shipped:

The 7424XP-M1 includes:
    One (1) 7424XP Orbital Polisher
    One (1) 54743 6" Polishing Pad
    One (1) Wrench
    One (1) Side Handle
    One (1) Operating Manual
    One (1) Astro Pneumatic 4606 Hook& Loop Flexible Backing Plate
    One (1) 6" Counterweight
    One (1) Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound, 32 oz.
    One (1) Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, 32 oz
    One (1) Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection, 16 oz.
    Two (2) Lake Country 6.5" CCS Orange Light Cutting Foam Pad
    Two (2) Lake Country 6.5" CCS White Polishing Foam Pad
    One (1) Lake Country 6.5" CCS Black Finishing Pad
    One (1) Lake Country Snappy Clean, 1.25 oz.
    BONUS: One 12 X 12 Micro Fiber Detailing Cloth

Is this pretty much what I need to get started???

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    I did a google search on isoprophyl alcohol and I found that it's rubbing alcohol, is that true? And where can I buy it?

Should I go with a 5" or 6" backing plate?

This is the kit I'm looking at for $232.93 shipped:

The 7424XP-M1 includes:
    One (1) 7424XP Orbital Polisher
    One (1) 54743 6" Polishing Pad
    One (1) Wrench
    One (1) Side Handle
    One (1) Operating Manual
    One (1) Astro Pneumatic 4606 Hook& Loop Flexible Backing Plate
    One (1) 6" Counterweight
    One (1) Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound, 32 oz.
    One (1) Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, 32 oz
    One (1) Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection, 16 oz.
    Two (2) Lake Country 6.5" CCS Orange Light Cutting Foam Pad
    Two (2) Lake Country 6.5" CCS White Polishing Foam Pad
    One (1) Lake Country 6.5" CCS Black Finishing Pad
    One (1) Lake Country Snappy Clean, 1.25 oz.
    BONUS: One 12 X 12 Micro Fiber Detailing Cloth

Is this pretty much what I need to get started???

Yeah thats a good kit, but I'd add Menzerna SIP and Nano (106FA). Also ditch the 6" backing plate for a 5" one, and ditch the 6.5" pads for the 5.5" ones.

You can get the alcohol at any drug store. Get the 91%, mix it 50/50 with water, and use it like you would a detail spray, but use it very liberally.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

also where are you getting the kit? If you are getting it at autogeek use the coupon code "corvette forum" for 10% off. It won't apply to the buffer itself, but should discount everything else i think.

Black
    00 WS6

also where are you getting the kit? If you are getting it at autogeek use the coupon code "corvette forum" for 10% off. It won't apply to the buffer itself, but should discount everything else i think.
    Tools-Plus.com

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Might be worth looking at what Autogeek has. They have lots of good kits just like that and more.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Might be worth looking at what Autogeek has. They have lots of good kits just like that and more.
    +1 AG is the shiz

Black
    00 WS6

I just bought a detailing kit from Autogeek today, I hope to get it by the weekend so I can start practicing on my daughter's car!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I wanted to jump in here, hope noone minds. My WS.6 has 115,000 miles on it. On the front bumper and headlight eye lids, there is what looks like dust imbedded in the paint. I used my clay bar on the whole car twice and nothing changes. It is smooth as glass to the touch, but looks like it always has dust on it. Any suggestions on how to get it out of the paint. I wanted to start applting 2 coats of Z-5, 1 coat of Z-2 with z-6 in between coats for my detail, but I don't want to seal it in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    I wanted to jump in here, hope noone minds. My WS.6 has 115,000 miles on it. On the front bumper and headlight eye lids, there is what looks like dust imbedded in the paint. I used my clay bar on the whole car twice and nothing changes. It is smooth as glass to the touch, but looks like it always has dust on it. Any suggestions on how to get it out of the paint. I wanted to start applting 2 coats of Z-5, 1 coat of Z-2 with z-6 in between coats for my detail, but I don't want to seal it in.
    sounds like dirt in the clear coat. would have to be wetsanded out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I washed my car with dawn, used my clay bar, then washed it again with Z-7 and buffed out the haze that was left by the Z-7. I am ready to use th Z-5 and start shining it up. Is it a waste of my time to continue to shine it up? What should I expect with someone wet sanding it? How long and expensive is something like that for the whole front end and hood?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

I washed my car with dawn, used my clay bar, then washed it again with Z-7 and buffed out the haze that was left by the Z-7. I am ready to use th Z-5 and start shining it up. Is it a waste of my time to continue to shine it up? What should I expect with someone wet sanding it? How long and expensive is something like that for the whole front end and hood?
    What haze did you have after washing it with Z7? I've NEVER had that happen in 10 years.

You can Z5 it now if you want.

If you're gonna have someone wetsand it, a couple things you should seriously consider:
    -If its factory paint, you may want to skip entirely. Factory paint is very thin
    -If you have a pro do it, its gonna be pretty expensive to be done RIGHT.
    -DON'T let anyone wetsand on your car that doesn't have insurance to cover a repaint if they screw up.
    -As for time involved, the whole front end and hood, the better part of 1-2 days.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Well the haze was more like a film like you get on the inside of your windshield when it is time to clean. I needed to just wipe the car down with a dry microfiber rag. Not a big deal. I am still looking for someone in the detroit suburb area that can do a good paint job. I have NBM now, which is nice, but I don't like how it looks purple some times. I was thinking about just getting it painted to fix everything and add some racing stripes while I was at it. If factory paint is thin, does that mean I can actually get a paint job that is better than factory?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Well the haze was more like a film like you get on the inside of your windshield when it is time to clean. I needed to just wipe the car down with a dry microfiber rag. Not a big deal. I am still looking for someone in the detroit suburb area that can do a good paint job. I have NBM now, which is nice, but I don't like how it looks purple some times. I was thinking about just getting it painted to fix everything and add some racing stripes while I was at it. If factory paint is thin, does that mean I can actually get a paint job that is better than factory?
    Yes you can. You can always ask for extra clear (good idea). An OEM quality job will run around 4-5k. If you want better, be prepared for 7k+.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information