LOTS of painting questions

This is a discussion on LOTS of painting questions within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; So me and a friend painted my hood. Turned out damn good. Couldnt find a way to keep it from ...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

LOTS of painting questions

So me and a friend painted my hood. Turned out damn good. Couldnt find a way to keep it from orange peeling but you can hardly tell its so shiny. but it was 100 degrees and humid as hell.

1st question: I can do the prep and the paint but what is the correct mixture for PPG paint>? Hardner reduced paint? We BSed it...

2nd. What are the steps of color sanding>?

3rd.. How do you clear and buff/sand?

I really want to do all the work myself and save thousands.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    So me and a friend painted my hood. Turned out damn good. Couldnt find a way to keep it from orange peeling but you can hardly tell its so shiny. but it was 100 degrees and humid as hell.

1st question: I can do the prep and the paint but what is the correct mixture for PPG paint>? Hardner reduced paint? We BSed it...

2nd. What are the steps of color sanding>?

3rd.. How do you clear and buff/sand?

I really want to do all the work myself and save thousands.
    First off, orange peelin is practically impossible to prevent. It is caused by the spraying of your gun.

1. I'm confused here. Base usually just has the paint/pigment and the reducer. The ratio is usually 1:1 depending on the humidy and temp

2. I honestly dont know what color sanding is. Ive heard them use this term on shows like american hot rod, and its the only time ive heard it. I'm pretty sure you DO NOT want to sand between sprayin base and clear. And you usually want to spray your clear with 24 hrs of spraying the base so they bond well. The few times ive tried to sand base before clear, it caused "streaked" areas in the color.

3. Spraying clear is different than sprayin base. The clear will be a honey thickness instead of a watery thickness like the base. Your usually mix the clear and hardner 4:1, then I usually go about 2:1 of clear/hardner mixture : reducer. The trick to clear is sprayin it thick enough that it doesn't go on rough, but thin enough it doesnt run.

Good luck! My recommendation is to practice base/clear on something you dont care to screw up.
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 09-10-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Isn't the orange peel caused by the clear coat?

I have seen episodes of trucks where they will wetsand/buff out a ton of the orange peel. The most recent episode was the Silverado / F-150 build off.

They had a black silverado and they first dry sanded with 1500 grit and then wetsanded with 3000 grit. Then used the Mothers 5 step buffing process. They taped off a section for later comparison. WOW!!!! Did it ever make a difference. It was like looking in a black mirror, hardly any distortions.
    Last edited by Mike's TA; 09-19-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Isn't the orange peel caused by the clear coat?

I have seen episodes of trucks where they will wetsand/buff out a ton of the orange peel. The most recent episode was the Silverado / F-150 build off.

They had a black silverado and they first dry sanded with 1500 grit and then wetsanded with 3000 grit. Then used the Mothers 5 step buffing process. They taped off a section for later comparison. WOW!!!! Did it ever make a difference. It was like looking in a black mirror, hardly any distortions.
    yeap the orange peel is made when the clear is sprayed on. my guess is that this is due to clear is usually a little thicker than base (or any other sprayed paint for that matter) And as its sprayed it kinda "beats" up on itself lol if that makes sense (im sure theres more physics/chemistry to it)

and yes you can get the orange peel out with high grit sanding then buffing . . . most people are scared to do this on theyre own, but its really not too bad. you just gotta be careful on areas like edges.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I'm wondering if it's because it is thicker that it runs a little. Maybe that's why there is more orange peel on the side panels and not so much on the hood and whatnot.

I'm wondering if it's because it is thicker that it runs a little. Maybe that's why there is more orange peel on the side panels and not so much on the hood and whatnot.
    id say thinner runs easier but it depends on the temperature and humidity. . .and i guess it could lay/dry flatter on a horizontal panel compaired to a vertical. i just painted my hood a couple months ago and it has very slight orange peel.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    id say thinner runs easier but it depends on the temperature and humidity. . .and i guess it could lay/dry flatter on a horizontal panel compaired to a vertical. i just painted my hood a couple months ago and it has very slight orange peel.
    You would think that thinner paint would run easier, but because you're putting it on in thin layers, I'm thinking that the force of gravity is not enough to out perform the stickiness of the paint. Now I'm just pulling stuff out my

You would think that thinner paint would run easier, but because you're putting it on in thin layers, I'm thinking that the force of gravity is not enough to out perform the stickiness of the paint. Now I'm just pulling stuff out my
    well i sorda agree with that . . again it probably depends on temperature, humidity, and, like you said, the thickness of your layers

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

i am too chicken shit to paint my car...i can do all the hard labor breaking nkuckles stuff...but paint and eletrical is NOT my area...i will pay to have it done right.

Thread Information