2000 WS6 Trans Am

Looking for something more...

Ok, waxing my bright red trans am is great and brings out a nice shine, but I was wondering if there was something MORE that I could do to make it even better?

I have seen people use power tools to wax/buff/polish their cars? I always hand wax and I feel I could do better with a different method.

For example, I have some scratches that I KNOW should come out, but haven't been able to get it. Also, one scratch... the only scratch the I am responsible for putting on it (all others are from previous owner)... I waxed over it and let it haze over, then wiped off and it was still there... but it should definitely come out.

Also note that this car has been garaged kept basically all of its 60k mile life, so the paint isn't bad or faded, but what should I do to make it SHINE like the sun and get some of the minor scratches out?

I know many people have their own opinions and what not, but post them up with what you use and stuff so that I can do the same.

Thanks,

Kyle

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
    Ok, waxing my bright red trans am is great and brings out a nice shine, but I was wondering if there was something MORE that I could do to make it even better?

I have seen people use power tools to wax/buff/polish their cars? I always hand wax and I feel I could do better with a different method.

For example, I have some scratches that I KNOW should come out, but haven't been able to get it. Also, one scratch... the only scratch the I am responsible for putting on it (all others are from previous owner)... I waxed over it and let it haze over, then wiped off and it was still there... but it should definitely come out.

Also note that this car has been garaged kept basically all of its 60k mile life, so the paint isn't bad or faded, but what should I do to make it SHINE like the sun and get some of the minor scratches out?

I know many people have their own opinions and what not, but post them up with what you use and stuff so that I can do the same.

Thanks,

Kyle
    You're right, there are different methods of doing it.
    for starters, scratches have to be buffed out by machine.
    You could do it by hand but you won't get the results you would with a buffer.

If you're noticing your car could shine better, you're probably right.
    You need to do a complete paint detail.
    Start by claying the paint after a nice thorough wash.
    After you clay, get some cleaner wax, either Meguiar's Cleaner Wax or Mother's Cleaner Wax.
    The Cleaner Wax would deep clean your paint to its original luster and looks, it won't remove scratches or swirls but will bring the gloss out.
    After that, you can use a wax or sealant and your car would look a heck of whole lot better than it's ever been.
    This is just the DIY approach. Having it professional buffed is the way to go, but for a budget detail on a Saturday morning doing it by hand, this process should give you some nice results you'll be happy with...

Eventhough you've always had your car nice and waxed, there's a time when you need to remove all that old wax and start over with a new canvas, sorta speak...

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

check out Zaino brothers website and look at the customer cars. That will sell you right there. The most amazing products Ive ever seen.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Ok, I think I am going to get a Zaino kit to use. But for the scratches that I have, wouldn't I want to get them out before I do the whole kit (claybarring and all)? How would I go about getting the scratches out? Buffing? And what compound should I buff with to get the few scratches out?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Whether you use Zaino or not, you should still do what Goose suggested and wash the car good with dish washing soap, to remove all of the current wax.

Then use a clay bar and cleaner wax to remove contaminates from your paint. And, like Goose, I would also suggest you get an orbital buffer (I've got a Porter-Cable one I use) and either some fine cut rubbing compound or mildly abrasive swirl mark remover to remove the fine scratches on your finish.

Once you've done this and have the paint looking how you want it, wash it again with dish washing soap to remove the cleaner wax and oils left over from the rubbing compound/swirl mark remover.

Now you're ready to use Zaino or whatever wax/polish you choose. Always keep in mind, proper prep work is key to getting the best results from your finish, regardless of what wax or polish you use. Zaino does fill in light scratches/swirl marks as you layer it, but I still think it's a good idea to actually remove the scratches that may be a bit too deep and pronounced for Zaino to fill in well, and that's where an orbital buffer comes in handy.

Good luck!

blue
    1999 TransAm

probably do this:
    wash, clay bar, then wax. the clay bar should remove the old wax and surface contaminants..

here are some great how-to vids i found
    http://mothers.com/03_how/03_how_02_videos.html

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't believe a clay bar is going to remove old wax and oils better than using dish washing soap.

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    probably do this:
    wash, clay bar, then wax. the clay bar should remove the old wax and surface contaminants..

here are some great how-to vids i found
    http://mothers.com/03_how/03_how_02_videos.html

qsm
    06 gto

i dont recommend dish soap. very aggressive method. ever feel your hands after dawn wash. slick? not good for paint. not ph neutral. will pit paint and make worse. they make paint safe solvents if wash does not remove. throughly wash, clay, compound (to fix scratches), polish and wax/seal.

Thread Information