Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

List and Order of Products

I've been reading and shopping around for a full list of proper products for paint care/maintenance. I still am unsure of what the actual order in which one would use these products. Since most lists on here are personal preference lists. I am trying to create a FULL list of products, if I am missing any or have the wrong order, please correct it.

Without going as far as wet sanding and/or repainting...
    (No numbers mean I am unsure of the order inwhich to use that certain product)

Obviously on a freshly cleaned car...
    1.Clay bar
    2. Paint Cleaner (Does this achieve the same idea as a clay bar, but not as effective?)
    3. Cleaner Wax
    - Swirl Remover (not sure if that falls under cleaner wax)
    - Where would something like scatch X fall?
    4. Rubbing Compound
    5. Polishing Compound
    6. Carnauba Wax
    7. Regular Wax
    8. Glaze

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Is this the order you would use these? I'm not sure.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I've been reading and shopping around for a full list of proper products for paint care/maintenance. I still am unsure of what the actual order in which one would use these products. Since most lists on here are personal preference lists. I am trying to create a FULL list of products, if I am missing any or have the wrong order, please correct it.

Without going as far as wet sanding and/or repainting...
    (No numbers mean I am unsure of the order inwhich to use that certain product)

Obviously on a freshly cleaned car...
    1.Clay bar
    2. Paint Cleaner (Does this achieve the same idea as a clay bar, but not as effective?)
    3. Cleaner Wax
    - Swirl Remover (not sure if that falls under cleaner wax)
    - Where would something like scatch X fall?
    4. Rubbing Compound
    5. Polishing Compound
    6. Carnauba Wax
    7. Regular Wax
    8. Glaze
    First you need to understand what all those products mean, and what they do...
    If you don't have a buffer, you don't need rubbing compound, polishing compound, scratchX, or swirl remover. Those products are best when applied by machine. Sure, you could try by hand, but they tend to haze the paint at the spot you use it, more than achieving much of anything. Bottom line, get a buffer

Second:
    The clay bar, you should always use a claybar regardless how new the car is, and/or when your car has not been detailed in a while
    The clay bar will remove embedded particles from the paint, leaving it smooth. It will also remove old waxes to some extend
    Third:
    The cleaner wax. The cleaner wax will clean up after the claybar left residues and completely remove any wax left on the finish, leaving it ready for the next step
    Fourth:
    If you have a buffer, then you can at this point determine the condition of your paint. Does it just need swirls removed? Does it have deeper scratches that you may now need a rubbing compound?
    You'd need to make that call. Menzerna Super Intensive Polish will do most of any task on your paint. It's somewhere between and swirl remover and a mild compound

Fifth:
    Once you have accomplished your paint correction, you now need to protect your hard work. You can use a glaze and then wax, or a sealant

Not sure what you mean by carnauba wax and regular wax?

That's pretty much all you need.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    First you need to understand what all those products mean, and what they do...
    If you don't have a buffer, you don't need rubbing compound, polishing compound, scratchX, or swirl remover. Those products are best when applied by machine. Sure, you could try by hand, but they tend to haze the paint at the spot you use it, more than achieving much of anything. Bottom line, get a buffer

Second:
    The clay bar, you should always use a claybar regardless how new the car is, and/or when your car has not been detailed in a while
    The clay bar will remove embedded particles from the paint, leaving it smooth. It will also remove old waxes to some extend
    Third:
    The cleaner wax. The cleaner wax will clean up after the claybar left residues and completely remove any wax left on the finish, leaving it ready for the next step
    Fourth:
    If you have a buffer, then you can at this point determine the condition of your paint. Does it just need swirls removed? Does it have deeper scratches that you may now need a rubbing compound?
    You'd need to make that call. Menzerna Super Intensive Polish will do most of any task on your paint. It's somewhere between and swirl remover and a mild compound

Fifth:
    Once you have accomplished your paint correction, you now need to protect your hard work. You can use a glaze and then wax, or a sealant

Not sure what you mean by carnauba wax and regular wax?

That's pretty much all you need.
    Thanks alot!

I have some deeper scatches here and there, same for swirl marks. I have an orbital buffer, not a wheel, yet. I haven't got into the wheel and compound yet because I have heard you can really screw this step up if you don't know what your doing.

The glaze gets used before wax/sealant?

Carauba wax is made by mothers and mequiars, I not sure if it is a special step or just wax.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Thanks alot!

I have some deeper scatches here and there, same for swirl marks. I have an orbital buffer, not a wheel, yet. I haven't got into the wheel and compound yet because I have heard you can really screw this step up if you don't know what your doing.

The glaze gets used before wax/sealant?

Carauba wax is made by mothers and mequiars, I not sure if it is a special step or just wax.
    What kind of glaze do you currently have?
    To answer the question, you put the glaze before the wax or sealant
    It's important to know what kind of glaze to put on if you're using a sealant right after
    Most glazes are compatible with just about any wax, but not all glazes are compatible with sealant
    The reason being, Sealants need to bond to a clean surface free of oil or wax
    Some ploymer based glazes are fine for sealants...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I don't have a glaze yet, but I was directed towards 3M by a pep boys employee. He said to use it after I wax. I haven't followed autoparts employee advice in years.

I currently use meguiars nxt 2.0 wax. If that won't work with the glaze, do you know what would?

I haven't gotten into these "professional" products before, but it seems my car is need of them.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Glaze goes on last. It will hide any light swirls left over from the buffing/polishing process. It is usually waterbase, and won't last very long. We used to use this in the body shop before delivering cars to the customer. It made almost any paint look good.
    As for why those two products won't work together, I would guess it is what they are made from. Some products are oil or silicone based. Some newer stuff is water based.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    Glaze goes on last. It will hide any light swirls left over from the buffing/polishing process. It is usually waterbase, and won't last very long. We used to use this in the body shop before delivering cars to the customer. It made almost any paint look good.
    As for why those two products won't work together, I would guess it is what they are made from. Some products are oil or silicone based. Some newer stuff is water based.
    You never want to put glaze last. Glaze is considered a gloss enhancement, it will cover some light swirl marks.
    You can put it on last, but that's not a normal practice in detailing...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

[QUOTE=Z06-Goose;2070393]First you need to understand what all those products mean, and what they do...

I disagree I have a black z34 that's 17 years old have used almost all of those products above by hand with excellent results..

Same with my 01:

Last edited by Smittro; 10-05-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

That's what I stick to not only because I don't own a wheel (yet), but I fear the damage that can be caused b/c I am unfamiliar with it.

I have no problem using elbow grease, I always leave the whole day open to detail my car.

I just know with the proper usage of these products, I can get "more" out of my paint.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    You never want to put glaze last. Glaze is considered a gloss enhancement, it will cover some light swirl marks.
    You can put it on last, but that's not a normal practice in detailing...
    Right. It's a gloss enhancer, so it gives the car a "wet" look after the final polishing is done.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

It makes more sense that you would glaze before you wax inorder to prolong the glaze. Otherwise it wouldn't last at all. But would you get the same results?

I'm trying to read all I can on product preference, tips & tricks, just now trying to compile the order in which to use these products.

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Red

Waxing over the glaze will just remove it. So will a few car washes or rain storms. It is really just for show.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Ok, sadly enough once last wax/sealant and she goes by by for the season.

What sealants do you use?

Thread Information