Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It just snowed...

This is a discussion on It just snowed... within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; As some of you may know I just recently bought a Black 99 Camaro SS. I spent 5 hours of ...

Black
    99 Camaro SS

It just snowed...

As some of you may know I just recently bought a Black 99 Camaro SS. I spent 5 hours of quality time washing, claying, and waxing it before I left for my deployment. I live in Norfolk, VA and it snowed about 12" a little bit ago and I'm kinda curious as if I need to be worried about my car, more so the paint. It's at a friends house with his wife while we're gone. Can you guys assure me that it will be okay or should I expect the worst when I get back?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SH1ZN1T View Post
    As some of you may know I just recently bought a Black 99 Camaro SS. I spent 5 hours of quality time washing, claying, and waxing it before I left for my deployment. I live in Norfolk, VA and it snowed about 12" a little bit ago and I'm kinda curious as if I need to be worried about my car, more so the paint. It's at a friends house with his wife while we're gone. Can you guys assure me that it will be okay or should I expect the worst when I get back?
    I have seen pics of Mr. Luos' car with over a foot of snow on it. Since it always looks immaculate when he posts pics, I assume it is safe to say that you will be ok.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have seen pics of Mr. Luos' car with over a foot of snow on it. Since it always looks immaculate when he posts pics, I assume it is safe to say that you will be ok.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

the snow doesnt hurt your car, the salt does. its no more harmful than rain. so as long as youre not driving in it, youre fine

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

black is fine if you leave it untouched in the snow mine didnt even get waterspots last time it was in the snow

Black
    99 Camaro SS

Sounds good to me. So as long as the lady taking care of my car doesn't rinse the snow off or anything it will be fine. I should just let it melt?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds good to me. So as long as the lady taking care of my car doesn't rinse the snow off or anything it will be fine. I should just let it melt?
    Absolutely. More chance of damaging the paint trying to shovel and/or brush it off than just letting it melt off. Never heard of hosing a car off to remove snow, but I suppose there are people that do that. Of course, in cold weather it turns it from a snow cone into a popsicle...

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

we got 2 feet, thankfully my car is in the garage, ridin the sled like crazy tho!

Black
    2002 Z28

ya dont brush the snow off i have a black 02 Z and my friend started brushing my car off as a favor when i was on my way ouutside and i saw what he was doing and yelled stop because he was doing it with a house broom and he scratched the shit out of my hood

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Here's one from December 19th when we got almost as much as we got yesterday... I'm not far from you, you'll be fine!!!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Let it melt and make sure it gets a really good rinse and wash when the snow is done coming down

I've found cars only REALLY get dirty if its driven in the rain/snow. Not too bad if not.
    2001 transam ws7 * black/black * modded up. * sold
    1993 3000gt vr4 * silver/tan * modded/boosted/awd * sold

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

It wasn't that bad of a snow this go round. Most of it was gone in one day. As long as you have no leaks in your t-tops, then you will be fine. And +1 on the no brushing it off, just let it melt off and then give it a good bath when you get back. Another idea is to order a decent car cover for it and have it shipped to your friends house and have them cover it for you until you get back. I have a wolf cover for mine, but I DD it so its not helping much right now, getting all that salt and dirt from the roads. The car cover will also help with the sun beating on that sail and the insides. Read up on the sail defect, cause if you don't have the bubbling yet, then your one of the few lucky ones.

Black
    99 Camaro SS

It will be sometime in August when I get back and am able to wash it. I don't trust the lady watching it to wash it because she will probably end up scratching it trying to dry it off.

tdevil55- what is a wolf cover?
    What cover would you guys recommend? and can I cover it even though it won't be washed?

I miss my SS lol

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tdevil55 View Post
    It wasn't that bad of a snow this go round. Most of it was gone in one day. As long as you have no leaks in your t-tops, then you will be fine. And +1 on the no brushing it off, just let it melt off and then give it a good bath when you get back. Another idea is to order a decent car cover for it and have it shipped to your friends house and have them cover it for you until you get back. I have a wolf cover for mine, but I DD it so its not helping much right now, getting all that salt and dirt from the roads. The car cover will also help with the sun beating on that sail and the insides. Read up on the sail defect, cause if you don't have the bubbling yet, then your one of the few lucky ones.
    at the same time if you don't have the cover tied down securely, over time the cover flapping in the wind will scratch the clear coat some. Just all depends on how meticulous you are on keeping your paint in the best condition

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

What cover would you guys recommend? and can I cover it even though it won't be washed?
    Here is the website for them. Just need someone to cover it for you and make sure its secure and locked down.

http://www.global-accessories.com/carcovers/wolfcovers/

I think I have the 380 one, it came with the car when I bought it from the previous owner.

Also, how much gas did you leave in the tank? Is your budys wife gonna go out and crank the car once in a while while you are gone? If you dont want her messing with it and taking the chance that something messes up, mite want to think about having someone also put in some fuel stabilizer. Cant hurt. Only other thing you mite come back to is a dead battery also, just the nature of letting it sit. I am a Army Soldier and have gone through this a few times with my camaros I have owned. This is just some of the things I would do if I was gonna leave mine again and deploy.
    Last edited by tdevil55; 02-08-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wax=the barrier between your clear coat and environmental elements. You will be fine.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

It will be sometime in August when I get back and am able to wash it. I don't trust the lady watching it to wash it because she will probably end up scratching it trying to dry it off.

I miss my SS lol

I dont think i would put a cover on it with snow sitting on the cover but thats me

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    I dont think i would put a cover on it with snow sitting on the cover but thats me
    Huh?

Black
    99 Camaro SS

[/QUOTE]
    Also, how much gas did you leave in the tank? Is your budys wife gonna go out and crank the car once in a while while you are gone? If you dont want her messing with it and taking the chance that something messes up, mite want to think about having someone also put in some fuel stabilizer. Cant hurt. Only other thing you mite come back to is a dead battery also, just the nature of letting it sit. I am a Army Soldier and have gone through this a few times with my camaros I have owned. This is just some of the things I would do if I was gonna leave mine again and deploy.[/QUOTE]

I left about 1/4 tank in and put the right amount of seafoam in the tank on the way to their house. she starts it every week and I told her to let it run for 15 minutes til it warms up. I also gave her $100 in case she needed to put gas in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information