01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Red face I got offered a job?

Yeah, Today, I was sitting at Chilis with my family, like we do pretty much every night to have some fun and talk to eachother, and we have a lot of friends there, Well a guy who has always helped me with my car, had a friend ask if I would like to work with him detail cars, wash claybar, wax, vacuum and such, everyday after school, and that they par from vettes to camaros, and a lot of really nice cars.

The reason im posting is because Yes, Ive detailed cars fully, a lot of older cars, thunderbirds, and my car, I always get compliments on them, But do you think with no real work exp. in this field, would this be a good path to take? If so, do you think I have to bring my own supplies?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Any job experience is good experience. Especially if you can get it in early. Don't look at it as something permanent with your (good path comment) still way to young to be set in one field. That being said there are a few people on here who detail for a living.
    Probably don't have to bring your own supplies but it looks more professional if you do
    Have fun my first job wasn't nearly that cool.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I've got a buddy that detailed cars as a sideline job but since he lost his job he's been doing it full time.

He detailed my 98 last month and we got to talking about it. He said there were several good things about it:

- He works for himself at his pace and when he wants to.
    - Most jobs are paid in cash (think about it...)
    - He felt that, while it was more physically demanding (he's in his early 40's) it was more satisfying than the office desk job he had.

He does have a truck that is dedicated to the job. He even has a gas generator to power his tools (buffer, power washer, etc) and a water tank for doing jobs in remote locations (like parking lots).

For him it has been a win all around.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 09-05-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by AfterYou View Post
    Yeah, Today, I was sitting at Chilis with my family, like we do pretty much every night to have some fun and talk to eachother, and we have a lot of friends there, Well a guy who has always helped me with my car, had a friend ask if I would like to work with him detail cars, wash claybar, wax, vacuum and such, everyday after school, and that they par from vettes to camaros, and a lot of really nice cars.

The reason im posting is because Yes, Ive detailed cars fully, a lot of older cars, thunderbirds, and my car, I always get compliments on them, But do you think with no real work exp. in this field, would this be a good path to take? If so, do you think I have to bring my own supplies?
    First of all.
    Go in there with the intention of doing what they want you to do and ask questions.
    A lot of places do things differently.
    Second, use this as an experience while you go to school and learn the ropes of running a dtail business. I think that's the most important thing you could learn from this experience, and then decide if this will be a good career path for you.

And to answer your last question, most places will have supplies and equipments for you to use. Rarely, will a detail company ask you to supply your own stuff. Personal working equipment you could ask. Personal products, I wouldn't, unless they're going to pay you for what you've already spent on them. Besides, they have their own products and sometimes they need to pass their criteria and safety standards.

My advice, go for it. Lear the running of the business and see what you can learn and what could you do better. This will help you decide if this is for you to consider in the future...

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Thanks guys! I'm going to take the job! I agree with what you guys are saying, as i'm young and not really looking for my said career, but this would be very good for me because it will be my first real job, in a field i adore, and I enjoy doing things like this, I think it will turn out to be good for me!

What i'll do is bring my own stuff, And leave it in the trunk, Such as new/clean micro towels and such, and if need be, I can bring them out, I talked to the guys friend again today, And he said that he has most supplies, but will pay for everything i need in a 1 month supply, he said, make a list, and you got it. So ill be doing a lot of research about everything and check it out!

I cannot wait at all, Ill be sure to completely clean my car before I pull in!

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

good luck on your first day at the job! never do anything you hate doing. it turns out to be bad work in the end anyway lol. sounds like a great starting job for you. and if its something you decide you really like, dealerships are almost always hiring detail people. and that can be some good money..hard work, but good money!

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

if i was in your shoes, i would take the job. It took a while to learn everything i know now, for the most part by myself. But you will have guidence, so you will learn more, quicker! good luck and have fun!!!

Awaiting Activation superman4evr's Avatar

Red Jewell Tintcoat
    2008 Grand Prix GXP

I've been detailing cars as a side job since 1996. It is hands
    down the best part time gig i've had. I can do as many cars as I
    want usually. But I keep it at a max number per week.
    Most of the customers see my pics
    on craigslist and are willing to wait.
    Learn everything you can about it. It's hard to find a good detailer.

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

Good luck

Now, why are you at Chillis EVERY night??

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    Good luck

Now, why are you at Chillis EVERY night??
    my family is good friends with the owner , bartenders , and usuals lol

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

go for it. and don't be surprised if you learn the inside out of every SUV on the road today before you jump in a sports car. He might have said "we do vettes and camaros" but i'm betting his bread and butter is the soccer mom-mobile clad with dog hair and kool-aide stains

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    go for it. and don't be surprised if you learn the inside out of every SUV on the road today before you jump in a sports car. He might have said "we do vettes and camaros" but i'm betting his bread and butter is the soccer mom-mobile clad with dog hair and kool-aide stains
    That was definitly in the back of my head when I was considering it, and I would be okay with that because you have to start somewhere! get my name out there then get the better cars!

Professional Detailer GoFast908Z's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Camaro Z28

my family is good friends with the owner , bartenders , and usuals lol
    I LOVE Chilis, but sounds like that would get gross after a while...

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    I LOVE Chilis, but sounds like that would get gross after a while...
    It does, I mean my parents always have a couple drinks, and I always try and choose something different everytime, but your right, it does get gross

black
    1998 transam ws6

take the job use it as learning experince itll be one more thing u will no how to do and make some money

Thread Information