Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

How long before i can wax it?

This is a discussion on How long before i can wax it? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; i just got the hood and bumper painted and was wondering how long before i can wax it without hurting ...

  1. #1
    2-Legit-2-Quit bgable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cville,Indiana
    Posts
    772

    IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    How long before i can wax it?

    i just got the hood and bumper painted and was wondering how long before i can wax it without hurting the paint?

  2. #2
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Hand wash only for 3-4 months.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Ask your body shop manager
    You can use products that say "body shop safe" silicone free

  4. #4
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    6 months with no silicates. You could polish though, Zaino would be fine.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

  5. #5
    2-Legit-2-Quit bgable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cville,Indiana
    Posts
    772

    IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    what about prima epic? is it a polish and quick detailers like slick? could i use the Hydro in place of a wax?
    Last edited by bgable; 03-22-2008 at 12:03 PM.

  6. #6
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    what about prima epic? is it a polish and quick detailers like slick? could i use the Hydro in place of a wax?
    I would wash it and leave it be for a few months. Dont even take a chance IMO.

  7. #7
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    If it has clear on it, one month. If you do it before 1 month, there is a chance that the clear will become yellow

  8. #8
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    If it has clear on it, one month. If you do it before 1 month, there is a chance that the clear will become yellow
    Now that you say it I read one month if its clearcoat 2 stage.

  9. #9
    2-Legit-2-Quit bgable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cville,Indiana
    Posts
    772

    IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    alright thanks it should be 2 stage but ill double check

  10. #10
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    i was told usually you handwash first for the first 3-4 months or so, then after that time period you can state to wax, first by hand, then later on with an orbital buffer/porter cable...

    both the paint and clearcoat need time to cure and bond together during this time. anything that gets on the freshpaint (ie: birdshit, tree sap, bugs), remove immediately so it doesnt 'bake on or eat into' the fresh paint/clearcoat finish...

  11. #11
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i was told usually you handwash first for the first 3-4 months or so, then after that time period you can state to wax, first by hand, then later on with an orbital buffer/porter cable...

    both the paint and clearcoat need time to cure and bond together during this time. anything that gets on the freshpaint (ie: birdshit, tree sap, bugs), remove immediately so it doesnt 'bake on or eat into' the fresh paint/clearcoat finish...
    Like I stated earlier, wait 6 months.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    92
    Hand wash for 2-3 months would be safe. Then you can polish it after 3 months and in the 4th month wax it.


    Just my 2 cents.

    Karen
    Get new Exhaust. Visit my blog: Zoie’s Auto Corner

  13. #13
    Rice Hungry GottaHaveLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,316

    Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

    Damn, i didn't even know this. I got a new hood over a year ago. Although I don't think I ever waxed it until the following year because i was away at school when it got installed. Good stuff to know!

  14. #14
    glimmerglassdetailing.com
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    98

    Topaz Blue, White
    2002 BMW M3, S10 Xtreme

    I think 6 mos is a pretty generous time frame. Typically 45 days is enough. Those items should have been painted/baked off of the car so they could've used higher temps to cure the paint. Just avoid sealants imo. Glazes would be ok, waxes as well.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    7

    blue
    94 cadillac fleetwood

    man i waxed my car about 1 or 2 months after a painted it, and it turned kind of whitesh or kinda ashy. I painted with imron though.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11

    Red
    Honda MDX

    Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    i just got the hood and bumper painted and was wondering how long before i can wax it without hurting the paint?
    Is Zaino a good choice for my bumpers as well?
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-15-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: removed spam links

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    30
    Posts
    330

    Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

    Wax would be a better choice over zaino until the paint fully cures. Zaino will not allow the paint to breath. One it has cured though switch over to Zaino IMO, i love that stuff.

  18. #18
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer52910 View Post
    Wax would be a better choice over zaino until the paint fully cures. Zaino will not allow the paint to breath. One it has cured though switch over to Zaino IMO, i love that stuff.
    You don't want to put wax on paint that has not cured.

  19. #19
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You don't want to put wax on paint that has not cured.

    What he said.

    I was told when my car was painted 90 days before I put any wax on it. I was told that I could use a glaze if I wanted some extra shine for meets ect. The body shop owner knows I take the car out to alot of the local cruises and meets.

  20. #20
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    What he said.

    I was told when my car was painted 90 days before I put any wax on it. I was told that I could use a glaze if I wanted some extra shine for meets ect. The body shop owner knows I take the car out to alot of the local cruises and meets.
    I saw this car the other day-it looked just like your car! hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. how long will it last
    By timothyodell2525 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 01:52 PM
  2. BBK Long-Tube Headers Install - Going Long
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM
  3. dad had a saying..... (long)
    By 0rion in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 11:43 AM
  4. How long?
    By scheier in forum Request and Feedback
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 04:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •