Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How do I remove swirl marks ?

This is a discussion on How do I remove swirl marks ? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; so w/ these types of buffers, u guys r talking about, i can safely buff out my clear coat scratches, ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

so w/ these types of buffers, u guys r talking about, i can safely buff out my clear coat scratches, keeping in mind i have zero experience w/ buffing/ buffers

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    so w/ these types of buffers, u guys r talking about, i can safely buff out my clear coat scratches, keeping in mind i have zero experience w/ buffing/ buffers
    I buffed my swirl marks and scratches out and I had never used one before. Autogeek.com has a short video that I watched (someone already posted the link on this thread). The biggest problem I had at first was using too much swirl remover. It takes very little for a 2x2 area. I mean if you have really deep scratches that your fingernail gets caught in when you lightly drag it across the scratch you may want to take it somewhere. I am happy as hell with how mine came out and I am pretty picky. I would give it a shot.---mike

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's not difficult to do at all. The secret is patience and like said above, be conservative with how much product you use per area and also, make sure you have the pad firmly on the surface before turning it on or you will have product flung all over your car and your person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post

Silver
    2002 Z28

Im thinking about getting one here, I just ordered some new Zaino stuff... they have a new adbrasive (Z-PC I think?) I am going to try, its mainly for my Black Acura though. The Silver paint on the Cam make it pretty hard to see imperfections.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    Im thinking about getting one here, I just ordered some new Zaino stuff... they have a new adbrasive (Z-PC I think?) I am going to try, its mainly for my Black Acura though. The Silver paint on the Cam make it pretty hard to see imperfections.
    I would put ZPC in the "finishing" product category, and NOT necessarily as a swirl remover. I will remove mild swirls, but don't expect much out of it especially if used by hand. For a more severe swirl remover, you may want to try Meguiars #83 followed by Meguiars #80, or 3M 39002

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I would put ZPC in the "finishing" product category, and NOT necessarily as a swirl remover. I will remove mild swirls, but don't expect much out of it especially if used by hand. For a more severe swirl remover, you may want to try Meguiars #83 followed by Meguiars #80, or 3M 39002
    You can change the way ZPC acts by changing the pad you are going to use.......Yellow,,White,,, Orange,,, . All have a different way they cut and effect the way the polish works. I think this is where Goose was going with this..

Are'nt too many polishes that do well working by hand. At least not without working your ass off.............
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

Silver
    2002 Z28

Well, I have swirl mikes in my Acura and they are not deep at all so I think it should work.

LE Anniversary
    02 SS, 02 Firehawk

I'm thinking of getting "The Edge 2000 Porter Cable 7424 Complete Kit" from autogeek, but I'm not sure what to use with it. I see 3m and Meguiar's mentioned in this thread, but what are the best compounds to use? I'm using it to remove light swirl marks only, no scratches or anything significant. I'm thinking of starting with the orange light cutting pad, or is it perfectly safe to start with the yellow pad?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I'm thinking of getting "The Edge 2000 Porter Cable 7424 Complete Kit" from autogeek, but I'm not sure what to use with it. I see 3m and Meguiar's mentioned in this thread, but what are the best compounds to use? I'm using it to remove light swirl marks only, no scratches or anything significant. I'm thinking of starting with the orange light cutting pad, or is it perfectly safe to start with the yellow pad?
    You should start with the least aggressive approach first. The yellow pad is not even an option in this case. It's way to abrasive, and it's only for severed marred/swirl surfaces, and a second application with the orange pad will be needed to remove slight marring left by the yellow pad.
    My recommendation will be to start with the white pad first, do few passes with it, don't expect the swirls to go away with just one pass. You'll need patience, and make sure you work the product in properly. If the results you're looking for are not there, move up to the orange pad while still using the same product you were using with the white pad. If that's still not what you want, step up to a more aggressive product.

Since your car it's doesn't have major swirls, you could try Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2 or Remover #1 I've seen plenty reviews on this product by professional, and amateur detailers and the concensus is that it works.
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 03-16-2007 at 11:00 PM.

LE Anniversary
    02 SS, 02 Firehawk

Thanks a lot Goose...the last thing in the world I want to do is harm my paint, and I am far from experienced, so I'm certainly going to go slow and easy. I'll take a look at that compound as well.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Thanks a lot Goose...the last thing in the world I want to do is harm my paint, and I am far from experienced, so I'm certainly going to go slow and easy. I'll take a look at that compound as well.
    You're welcome!
    Let me correct myself here. As far as pads go, different brands have different color designation for the cutting properties of each pad.
    With that said, I use LC Foam Pads myself, and normally goes from black, white, orange and yellow. Black being the least aggressive, and yellow the most aggressive.
    Since you're getting the Edge 2000 (good choice) they have a slightly different color coded pads than the Lake Country ones. I too would start with the orange pad, and move to the green pad if needed

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quick Foam Pad Reference

...........In order of Abasiveness................................
    Med Cut .. Lite cut .. Polish.. Lite polish.. Finish

Propel----- Orange.. Yellow.. Green....... Blue Grey

LC Classic-- Yellow.. Orange.. White ...... Black

LC Hi-Gloss-- Yellow.. Orange.. White.. Black/Rd

Sonus DAS--- Orange.. Green.. Blue

Sonus SFX --- White .. Blue

Meguiars--- Burgandy.. Yellow .. Tan

Edge 2000--- Black.. Yellow.. Green.. Blue....White

"Tried" to put together alittle Chart based on another Web site......Hope it helps.

http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/de...oductchart.htm

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

thanks for all the greats replys

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    You should start with the least aggressive approach first. The yellow pad is not even an option in this case. It's way to abrasive, and it's only for severed marred/swirl surfaces, and a second application with the orange pad will be needed to remove slight marring left by the yellow pad.
    My recommendation will be to start with the white pad first, do few passes with it, don't expect the swirls to go away with just one pass. You'll need patience, and make sure you work the product in properly. If the results you're looking for are not there, move up to the orange pad while still using the same product you were using with the white pad. If that's still not what you want, step up to a more aggressive product.

Since your car it's doesn't have major swirls, you could try Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2 or Remover #1 I've seen plenty reviews on this product by professional, and amateur detailers and the concensus is that it works.
    That Pinnacle stuff works really well. Very easy to wipe off too.

Navy Blue Pearl
    2000 Camaro Z28

In our body shop we used only 3M car finnish products. Works perfekt.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    i heard if u whip ur cock out on the paint it takes care of those fuckin swirl marks...

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    thanks for all the greats replys
    Dont forget the horrible replys also haha, thanks to blackz-lt1

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    Dont forget the horrible replys also haha, thanks to blackz-lt1
    awwww c'mon...its not that bad of a reply...it might work? lol
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

maybe it works for lt1's but not ls1's.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Back on topic please guys.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information