Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How do I remove swirl marks ?

This is a discussion on How do I remove swirl marks ? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I used the black wax and it worked great on my black camaro, that was last year though so I ...

Black
    1997 Z28

I used the black wax and it worked great on my black camaro, that was last year though so I am gonna have to find some more of it for this year.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I use 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compund with my PC orbital buffer/polisher. It works nicely.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    What about a couple coats of Z5 (Zaino swirl and scrach remover) by hand?
    Z5 won't remove scratches or swirls just fills and hides them. Even then they have to be very lite or Z5 does little.

Z-pc is a polish that removes scratches and swirls.

By hand ???? You're going to have
    big muscles at the end of the day and still have most of your scratches. Any SMR works better/faster with a machine.

black
    1999 trans am

Thumbs up

i use 3M swirl mark remover and a foam pad on a buffer on low speed,do about a one foot square space at a time,it will look like glass after you done

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

The funny thing was that my friend had stopped by a body shop one day and asked about the paint and they told him they would have to paint it. I told him that they were full of it and to wait until I was done with his car. Well the results speak for themsleves. Next month when he hits the streets in Vegas (yes he's moving due to work). That black paint will be glowing in the sun. Then 3-5 years from now we will buff it again if it needs it.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by toysruskid62 View Post
    i use 3M swirl mark remover and a foam pad on a buffer on low speed,do about a one foot square space at a time,it will look like glass after you done
    I'm assuming you're using a rotary buffer; which one do you have?
    Goose-

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    The funny thing was that my friend had stopped by a body shop one day and asked about the paint and they told him they would have to paint it. I told him that they were full of it and to wait until I was done with his car. Well the results speak for themsleves. Next month when he hits the streets in Vegas (yes he's moving due to work). That black paint will be glowing in the sun. Then 3-5 years from now we will buff it again if it needs it.
    What products/tools are you using?
    I've got some Menzerna PO85RD, PO85RD3.0 and PO85RD3.02 I can't wait to use. I'm planning going LC orange pads with my PC. The CC on the Vettes are rock-hard, so I'll have my work cut out there
    Goose-
    2007 Audi RS 4

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 30thCamaro View Post
    I used the black wax and it worked great on my black camaro, that was last year though so I am gonna have to find some more of it for this year.
    I used this kind called Black Velet.
    http://www.topoftheline.com/black-wax-carnauba.html

This stuff works so good.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

U know what guys i was thinking, how much do u think a professional buffing would cost? Don't get me wrong, im not scared to work on my car. Everything i can do myself i do, but im not about to pick up a buffer that i have absolutely no experience with and attempt to buff out my clearcoat scratches w/ it. So what u guys think on the cost?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

U know what guys i was thinking, how much do u think a professional buffing would cost? Don't get me wrong, im not scared to work on my car. Everything i can do myself i do, but im not about to pick up a buffer that i have absolutely no experience with and attempt to buff out my clearcoat scratches w/ it. So what u guys think on the cost?
    good question... if it only needs it every 4 or five years might be cheaper letting someone do it

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Im getting my car wet sanded for 250... remove the orange peel. God i hate lummpy paint hehe. I just dont trust myself doing any thing to the paint on my car. Ill polish and wax it, just not touch it with sand paper ;-) But she will look nice when its done

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Using a buffer on your finish is easy to do. I would never pay some business to buff on my car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

but isn't it true that u can go right through ur clear coat or paint if u dont knonw how to use a buffer, and i have never touched 1 b4 so... thats y i ask about price for having it done.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

There is always that change, but the key is to try it out on a car you are not worried about damaging and always use it on a speed somewhere between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. I never buff over 3k.

but isn't it true that u can go right through ur clear coat or paint if u dont knonw how to use a buffer, and i have never touched 1 b4 so... thats y i ask about price for having it done.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    There is always that change, but the key is to try it out on a car you are not worried about damaging and always use it on a speed somewhere between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. I never buff over 3k.
    If you're talking rotary buffer, that should be NO more than 1200rpm. No reason to go any higher than that. Regular operating speed for a rotary is 900-1200rpm. On rare occassions will people go to the upper 1000's

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Mine is a Porter-Cable orbital buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    If you're talking rotary buffer, that should be NO more than 1200rpm. No reason to go any higher than that. Regular operating speed for a rotary is 900-1200rpm. On rare occassions will people go to the upper 1000's

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Mine is a Porter-Cable orbital buffer.
    Never tried but I don't think you could burn through with a PC if you had to.............
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I have to agree with zo6-goose on that one. I rarely run my rotary buffer at full speed and mine will only go to 1750 rpm.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Maybe not, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I can get mine up to 6k RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    Never tried but I don't think you could burn through with a PC if you had to.............

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

A PC will really do its job when used as a paint correction between 5-6k rpm.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information