Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

How do I keep my dash from cracking?

I've now owned 3 cars since moving to Florida. (Bought the 3rd 2 days ago). On the first 2 the dashes started to Crack after just a few months. I never had that problem up north so I'm assuming it's from the hot Florida sun. For the 1st time since being here my car will be kept in the garage but I would still like to know what else I can do for those days it's out in the sun all day.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Anytime the car is sitting outside put a sun shade in the windshield and use something with a UV protectant like Meguiars Natural Shine with UV protectant. Its like sun screen for your dash and works great. Stay away from armor all products...they seem to make it worse in my experience. I lived in Tampa and Jacksonville and I never had one crack down there and my cars were outside most of the time unless I had them in the garage working on them.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a fan of them, but they make the carpet style dash top protectors. Southern sun is hell on cars. I have also seen pics of vinyl overlays that members have custom fabbed for their cars that really didn't look that bad.

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

Not a fan of the carpet dash either. I rather hate it in fact.

I will definitely be looking for something with UV protection. Hopefully my local Autozone will have that Meguias Natural Shine.
    Thanks guys!!
    Last edited by zr1chris; 02-02-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
    Not a fan of the carpet dash either. I rather hate it in fact.

I will definitely be looking for something with UV protection. Hopefully my local Autozone wI'll have that Meguias Natural Shine.
    Thanks guys!!
    local stores carry Meguiars products so you should be good to go.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've had a dash carpet for a long time now, the woman I got mine from does superb work. Lethal Interiors.

I'm wondering if I should attempt to plastic weld mine back together.

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I've had a dash carpet for a long time now, the woman I got mine from does superb work. Lethal Interiors.

I'm wondering if I should attempt to plastic weld mine back together.
    Sounds like allot of tedious work, depending how bad it is. Good luck with that.

Navy Blue Metallic

Not really...It's a lot simpler than it looks.

This isn't finished but here's a WS6 airlid tray that had a corner broke off. These tray's aren't cheap so I had nothing to lose in trying to fix it.

Here's where it's broken.

Here's the donor piece attached.

not pretty yet, but after some sanding, filler, primer and paint...it'll look good.

Arizona here, probably the most intense sunshine and heat to go along with it. No cracked dash issues here.

Start using a window shade when you park the car outside. Protects the dash and keeps the car cooler inside. Also a fan of the dash mats. Very nicely made and molded to fit and conform, and keeps the UV rays at bay. Go to a car show? Pull it out, very easy. They only run $30 to $40 and that sure beats the hell out of paying Just Dashes $700 to fix an original dash.

Using either of these 2 methods (I recommend both) will keep you from spending alot of money later. If people don't like it, they can buy the next dash for me

Actually these 2 items around here are pretty much normal affair in every car you see in a parking lot.

Navy Blue Metallic

not to mention it keeps the car temps down so you don't burn your ass on hot days. So glad I still have the t top shades.

I never use the T-top shades. Wife likes them out so I leave them out. I find the factory glass tint so dark that the UV rays really don't seem to be an issue.

I say that because...(Interesting tid bit), I can drive that car around all day long in the sun and the top of my head never gets sunburnt

Navy Blue Metallic

How do I keep my dash from cracking?

not here....gets F'ing hot...
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

You sure that's not humidity you're feeling?

Low 100's here in the summer (at 5,000 feet) are the norm but doesn't make too much difference inside the car (to me) when the dew points are single digits and 20% humidity.

Phoenix is a bit warmer, 110-120 during the hottest part of the year, still no sun shades in the T-tops. Turn the AC on and it's fine.

My sons little 89 5.0 has a sunroof. No shades for those. I do notice the factory tint isn't nearly as dark as the camaro, and it actually does start to cook the top of my head if I drive that around without a hat on. Big difference between the two.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You sure that's not humidity you're feeling?

Low 100's here in the summer (at 5,000 feet) are the norm but doesn't make too much difference inside the car (to me) when the dew points are single digits and 20% humidity.

Phoenix is a bit warmer, 110-120 during the hottest part of the year, still no sun shades in the T-tops. Turn the AC on and it's fine.

My sons little 89 5.0 has a sunroof. No shades for those. I do notice the factory tint isn't nearly as dark as the camaro, and it actually does start to cook the top of my head if I drive that around without a hat on. Big difference between the two.
    Humidity makes a huge difference...HUGE.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yup walking around areas like Phoenix and Vegas have never bothered me when I'm out that way. 20 mins walking around north carolina on hot humid day and I just want to go inside and never leave.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Anytime the car is sitting outside put a sun shade in the windshield and use something with a UV protectant like Meguiars Natural Shine with UV protectant. Its like sun screen for your dash and works great. Stay away from armor all products...they seem to make it worse in my experience. I lived in Tampa and Jacksonville and I never had one crack down there and my cars were outside most of the time unless I had them in the garage working on them.

I'm in Southern California and I use a dash protectant on all my cars. Meguiar's is my go to brand. I would definitely invest in Meguiar's Natural Shine. I would recommend you clean the dash prior to applying so the surface takes it better. A microfiber towel with warm water works fine. Let it dry and apply Natural Shine with either a foam applicator or a microfiber applicator.

Since I detail on the side I keep my interior very clean so I do the following. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer as it has a built in light cleaner in it to remove light dust and dirt. You can stop there as it leaves UV protection behind. I then follow up with one of the Meguiar's protectants on a foam applicator. Let that absorb into the dash for about 5-10 minutes. Apply more if the dash is dry. Then follow up with a microfiber towel and a light buff to remove any excess product and knock down the shine a bit so you won't get as much glare.

I wrote this review on Meguiar's Natural Shine. I used my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix which has the same material as the Trans Am/Camaro. This should last you about a month.

Natural Shine Review with Photos

I also wrote this review on their latest protectant which is new for 2015 (New Car Scent Protectant).

New Car Scent Protectant Review with Photos
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I have had 4 fbodies and went through more dash pads than i would like. Always use a sun shade and have used UV protectant on them and have never had luck keeping one nice. I run a carpet over mine now

Inferno Orange
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Well I bought the Meguiars Natural Shine today. Also, my girlfriend had bought me a turtle wax "ice" gift set for xmas and I noticed that the interior cleaner it came with says it protects from UVA and UVB rays. Might give that a try as well.

Black / White

I've used ice products for the outside of the car but never the inside.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Like FBJ mentioned, use of a window shade would be damn near mandatory if I lived in a southern state. Years ago, I had a simple window shade that consisted of fabric stretched over two round wire frames. Upon removal, a simple figure-8 twist instantly collapsed it for storage. Much smaller and easier to use than an accordion style shade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information