Thread: Help

2002 WS6 TranAm

Help

Ok, so I have the PC, Menzerna, etc. How do I utalize what I have properly to remove fine scratch's, etc.? I worked on one part of my hood for quite some time tonight and although it looks fairly good there are still some fine wash scratch's and some marks on the hood that look like dried water marks. Have always been there since I have had the car. I blow dry and then hand dry the car after each wash. My car is in great condition, paint is great except the hood has those "water mark" looking things on it. Can't wait to figure this all out and get it looking great. Any help would be appreciated.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Menzerna takes time and needs to be worked in.

1. What pads are you using with the PC?
    2. How long and how slow are you moving over the paint while using the Menzerna?
    3. How fast are you running the PC?

Start slow (around 2) and spread the product with the pad. Then speed it up (around 5) and move SLOW and work in small areas.

2002 WS6 TranAm

I'm actually using McQuiars Buffer as they were out of the PC. The orange pads are what I'm using. Working slow speed in a small area. When I put it on there lots of swirls but the product seems to be the right amount. How long should it take in one area? I'm really a rookie here.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It takes me roughly 1.5-2.0 hours to do a whole car with the Menzerna. The rest of the steps take next to no time compared to the intense polish.

Basicly....you use little product, and work it in. It should be basicly transparent when you are done.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

You're doing it right by working a small area at a time. Use the orange pad, and move the buffer about an inch per-second or slower and apply pressure, may be about 5lbs of pressure. You may have to repeat this process a few times, as the PC won't remove that kind of defect in just one pass. It will remove superficial scratches, but if you can see the scratch to be slightly into the clear, those will only remove with a rotary. The PC will make it less noticeable when you're done, but when looking at them from the right angle you will still see them...

You want to work the polish until it becomes translucent; 3-4 minutes. Once the polish is broken down its effectiveness to keep working ceases, so wipe down the area, check, and repeat until you're satisfied...
    The polish should remove very easy, if is not, then you haven't worked it long enough...
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 05-01-2009 at 11:08 PM.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Re:

Very good. I just need to spend more time and do it again and again. I can see those superficial scratch's going away but those water spot looking things almost become more appearant as a result. I'm taking my time doing this and will post up some feedback today as I work on it.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    Very good. I just need to spend more time and do it again and again. I can see those superficial scratch's going away but those water spot looking things almost become more appearant as a result. I'm taking my time doing this and will post up some feedback today as I work on it.
    By now, the water spots should have been gone. Perhaps they're etched into the paint?

2002 WS6 TranAm

Ok, got the Menzerna and Prima Finish done today. I'm going to end up with more than 12 hrs in this thing when it's all said and done. When I turned up the speed it helped a good bit. Tomorrow I hope to get the Prima Amigo and another Prima Finish on and then it will be off to waxing during the week. By this time next weekend I should be very happy with the results.

I don't know what's the spots on the hood. The hood is the only place that I have these and they are better but are not coming out. Light scratch's are gone. I'll continue to update you. Thanks!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    Ok, got the Menzerna and Prima Finish done today. I'm going to end up with more than 12 hrs in this thing when it's all said and done. When I turned up the speed it helped a good bit. Tomorrow I hope to get the Prima Amigo and another Prima Finish on and then it will be off to waxing during the week. By this time next weekend I should be very happy with the results.

I don't know what's the spots on the hood. The hood is the only place that I have these and they are better but are not coming out. Light scratch's are gone. I'll continue to update you. Thanks!
    Use Finish...then Amigo.
    These steps will go quickly compared to the Menzerna stage. I can do both in a little over an hour with the PC.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Mr. Luos I did Menzerna and Finish today will be doing Amigo and then Finish and then Victoria's Wax just as you suggested. I'm following your setup.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Don't use Finish after Amigo.

I think maybe I relayed something wrong to you.
    What I did....
    1. Wash
    2. Menzerna (wipe up excess)
    3. Finish (wipe up excess)
    4. Amigo (wiped off excess, allowed to cure/sit overnight)
    5. Amigo (next morning, wiped off excess) (this step is probably not worth ANYTHING...lol...we just ran out of time to wax the day before)
    6. Wax

2002 WS6 TranAm

Mr. Lous I'm the one mistaken. I went back and reviewed your post again and saw that it was Amigo X2 not the finish. Is it necessary to wash after the final Amigo and a night of curing or can you go straight to wax? If no wash is needed I can probably get the wax done today. Off to church and then back to work on the car. Thanks again for your help!

2002 WS6 TranAm

I'M DONE! I'll post pictures up here in a little bit and talk about it a little further. Looks amazing!

Thread Information