Black
    2004 Pontiac GTO M-6

good detailer B'ham Alabama area

I put this same post in the gto Forum...stupid. Paint is not vehicle specific.
    Perhaps someone here can help.

I have a black on black 2004 GTO.
    Pontiac detailed it and left swirl marks in it.
    I spent a day with Zaino this and that. CS for swirls and the swirl filler Z-5 I think. Have to look, I bought 150.00 worth of Zaino products.

I used everything just as Sal directed in e-mails. 200.00+ worth of products. 100% cotton towels etc.

Not knocking Zaino at all. Its better than it was and it made my 9 year old dark green truck look new.

I thought about buying a polisher as its obvious that is what it needs to get into the clear coat deep enough too restore mirror smooth clear coat.
    I am afraid I might burn or cut to much if I buy a polisher. I do not know correct pads and what not.

You would think Pontiac could do it but whomever they have obviously is not a pro.

Last pic has the swirls not in the sun..rear. Looks good huh.

I have owned 3 black cars, this is my first with swirls, and it just makes me sick. They are lighter now that I spent hours applying and removing; back and forth; Zaino but still there. Shines better so it actually seems worse.

My Pontiac service rep is no help. Its looks fine to him.
    Fine to most everyone but me. Sun has to hit it at the right angle. I see it all the time.

Just want it fixed. Either a name in Alabama or great advice on doing it myself.
    I have actually researched and am pondering a Porter cable. Just afraid I might do damage. Rather find someone that does this for a living..and takes pride in his or her work.

Thanks
    Blue

I will consider driving to another state for a great job.

I tried over and over harder and harder the swirl remover from Zaino. I never could get a smooth finish with my arms.

Red
    2001 ws6

use a machine ..... also try 3M swirl remover....

Black
    2004 Pontiac GTO M-6

I am starting to think doing it myself is my best option too.
    Its my car and I am picky and will be careful. I worked for detailer many years ago. We never left swirl marks.
    My reseach has me picking the Porter Cable 7424. Still pondering pads.
    Any advise on doing this welcome. 3-M used to be pretty mean. I do not want to hurt this car any worse.

I never did anything but buff polish back when but I saw cars get wasted by some I worked with. This is/was a pro detaing shop that had many dealerships exclusive cotracts. 100's of cars a week, only saw few get hurt but when burned there is no fixing it except to re paint....and we did.

This was in Kentuky. A little far and might or might not still be there after 15 years.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

About a detailer in your area, I'll see if I can locate one from the detailer forums I go to...
    By looking at the pics, it looks like you need a buffer, like the PC7424 and try to do it yourself. You've invested a good coin in getting some quality products, and no doubt you'll get more involved if you get a buffer
    That being said, let me difuse some myths about buffer and polishers. An Orbital Buffer like the PC7424 will not burn your paint, nor will it take any significant amount of clear coat, it's almost insignificant the amount of clear coat you can eat up with a PC. What the PC does is to level (smooth) the sharp reflecting edges of the swirls, reducing the light refraction that makes it stand out under sun light. With a good pad (LC Orange Pad) and some good polish like Menzerna IP you can achieve a smooth surfaces free of swirls. On some deeper scratches, or anything beyond "superficial" swirls -like you have- the PC will not make it 100% disappear, -and that's when you find out for yourself the PC has its limits- but it will make it look much better
    It takes about 15 minutes to learn the use of a PC. There are many online videos that can help you a lot. In fact, if you do a search here, you will find some good information, and tutorial material

The rotary buffer is more aggressive than the PC (Orbital) and it can burn your paint, or cause holograms when you're not proficient at it
    It is however, a great tool, and with the right pads and products you can tackle any paint defect on you car...beyond what the PC can't touch

You can then use your Zaino to ice the cake

Black
    2004 Pontiac GTO M-6

Thanks,

When I worked for that detailer I never used a circular..think thats all we had for cutting paint. Back then that was what it was, clear coat was not common if even around..early 90's.

According to Zaino Website, orbital with Zaino PC-S is the ticket for non professionals. I said Zaino CS..wrong. Zaino PC-S and Z-5 etc.

Fiberglass aftermarket hood is the worst.

I hate to buy the Porter cable or Makita orbital and it still have swirls. Lke you said 200.00 is already alot of money for polish not work. Not Zaino's fault.
    My arms just can't cut enough...and I am not out. Did my truck too.
    Not a bad investment just not the right tools

This why I really just want a pro but so far my experiece with Pontiac body shop detailers has me gun shy. Call themselves pro's. NOT Pro's.
    Two sites and no one from Alabama suggested yet. I went to two places.
    Both refused to work on it. said it was fine.....basically they can't do better or are afraid of the black too.

I am afraid of a circular buffer. I have seen those do damage..in an instant.

What a delimma.

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

hey man sorry to hear about your paint, I own a detail shop in Georgia I am on the third exit east on I 20 after you cross the state line. depending on where in b- Ham you are located I am about 100 miles away. I own MAX WAX auto detail and reconditioning center(770) 301 2693 or rodneymcclure@bellsouth.net I have 20 year experience. I can fix it attached are a few photos.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by maxwax View Post
    hey man sorry to hear about your paint, I own a detail shop in Georgia I am on the third exit east on I 20 after you cross the state line. depending on where in b- Ham you are located I am about 100 miles away. I own MAX WAX auto detail and reconditioning center(770) 301 2693 or rodneymcclure@bellsouth.net I have 20 year experience. I can fix it attached are a few photos.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Thats a great job you did on those vehicles.

Red
    2001 ws6

wut did u use on the black parts of the engine to give them a wet look?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

How could any "detailer" look at your car and say that it looks fine? This supports the fact that alot of people who call themselves detailers really arent.

Thread Information