silver
    2000 camaro ss convrt

Question GM Aerosol Touch Up Paint

I just got a can of GM silver touch up spray on paint from the dealer. Does anyone know if I will need to use a clear coat with this paint? The parts guy did not know, and the dealership where I bought the paint did not have a body shop.

One other thing, it's my understanding that silver is a tough color to work with, and I am concerned about paint matching. I have a small blemish on the lower portion of a door that needs attention. I am familiar with sanding and poliahing techniques, but am concerned about blending the new paint in. Does anyone have any experience with working with silver paint? THanks a lot.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by riviera065 View Post
    I just got a can of GM silver touch up spray on paint from the dealer. Does anyone know if I will need to use a clear coat with this paint? The parts guy did not know, and the dealership where I bought the paint did not have a body shop.

One other thing, it's my understanding that silver is a tough color to work with, and I am concerned about paint matching. I have a small blemish on the lower portion of a door that needs attention. I am familiar with sanding and poliahing techniques, but am concerned about blending the new paint in. Does anyone have any experience with working with silver paint? THanks a lot.
    I will assume you'd need to apply clearcoat after you apply the paint. If anything else it will protect the paint from being rub off by compounds or high VOC products

There are some over-the-counter clearcoats you can buy, or better yet, go to a bodyshop, or a paint supply store to see if the can mix up a pint or less of clearcoat for you. A prepped clearcoat by a bodyshop or a specialized store will harden similar to factory specs. Aerosol cans of clearcoat may just be good for looks, and may not be as durable

silver
    2000 camaro ss convrt

Thanks. I think you're right about this and I will plan to use a clear coat. Doing so does not seem like such a big deal. I think what I will do first, however, is talk to some of the people at the local Maaco paint place. They paint thousands of cars a year, so I would think they would have some useful advise. Thanks again!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

the only time silver is a problem is if it is metallic. you have to be careful about blending because of the metallic. if it is not sprayed the same way as stock you may see a line because the metallic lays a different way.

silver
    2000 camaro ss convrt

Thanks. Good to know about the metallic aspect. I must admit, I don't know if the GM silver is metallic or not.

Thread Information