Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Fresh Paint Procedures?

Alright guys, I just got my car back from a brand spankin' new paint job (I will post pics later, I promise). I talked with the guy that sprayed my car and he said with a new paint job I should get some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and go over the car very slowly and deliberately concentrating on one section at a time and apply 2-3 coats go fill in the wetsanded clear and get the swirls out. I assume it would be best to do this in the early morning while the car is cold.

All of that sounds good but what else should I do and when. This is my first time dealing with a new paint job and I want to take the precautions and steps to ensure it looks great for a long time.

I am so proud of my car now, it looks really good now (added VFN Sunoco hood, SS Spoiler, and some new badges).

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

well ill tell ya what ive done in the past (ive sprayed and finished 4-5 cars with base clear). . . i guess it depends where they left off. i work my way up to 2000 grit wetsandin paper with a flexable block. . . then, yes, i use 3M brand rubbing/polishing compounds. do you have a buffer or can you get one? i cant remember the exact product name but i just used 2 stages, first one with a cottom pad, second with a foam pad. then i usually finish off with zymol cleaner polish/wax, or some sort of hand polish. im no means a professional painter/finisher, but my experience this works very well.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Well, I should probably just invest in a buffer anyway. I'm at work now and I'm trying to make a good shopping list to get everything I need when I get out of here. I'm not sure where they left off at. There are some very fine swirls on the clear, it looks like a buffer was used.

I plan to apply the 3M IHG first thing in the morning while the car is cold in the garrage. How soon after applying this can I put on a coat of wax/polish?

I can already tell I'm going to be extremely OCD about this.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

you needed new paint on a 2000 car? all i know is supposedly you shouldn't wax it for a month.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Try no wax for like 6th months to be safe... I need new paint on my 98. She looking dull.. but i got a ton of miles.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

The technology on paint is pretty good these days. Keep using the 3M-IHG for a least a month. Stay away from products that have silicone and/or wax in it for now

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    you needed new paint on a 2000 car? all i know is supposedly you shouldn't wax it for a month.
    Unfortunately, yes. The clearcoat was bubbling up and peeling after rain or wash. It was looking pretty rough. This was happening on the rear quarter panels and spoiler. It got to the point to where I was self conscious and wasn't enjoying the car. That has changed though!

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    The technology on paint is pretty good these days. Keep using the 3M-IHG for a least a month. Stay away from products that have silicone and/or wax in it for now
    Sounds good, I'm wanting to apply the 3M-IHG every weekend until it's all gone before I use any wax. It should take more than 1 month to use it all up. It is some very good stuff though, I could tell a big difference after just one coat.

PICS at my Fquick...
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=1&carid=20831

Black
    2002 Trans Am

i have heard that although your pain is dry. it takes a long time to cure and harden i heard this on i think it was Muscle Car on PowerBlock on Spike. i think they said not to use waxes with petrolium in them or somethin idk anything about waxes new to it. but they also said to not use car cover if u have one you have to let the paint breath and such. takes a long time to cure i have heard. once again new to it all.

Thread Information