Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

First time polish - Please Read

This is a discussion on First time polish - Please Read within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; ...

  1. #1
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    First time polish - Please Read

    OK. I have read the sticky and a lot of threads in here now and I am hoping I have this sequence correct thus I am posting it to get comments before I move forward with actually applying it or purchasing it.

    Goose – If you happen to see this thread, please comment. I have seen your work on here and it is AMAZING!!!

    I have a bright red 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS. Some pics of what I am working with are in my album in my profile. When not driven, it stays in a garage under a car cover. I drive it about 3,000 miles a year on average. It only sees sunny day driving.

    I have noticed recently some swirl marks and one scratch (not really a scratch, but more like a rub mark, dull white in color on the paint that I can’t feel to the touch).

    Being a 35th Anniversary Edition model, it DOES HAVE the racing stripes down the hood, a grille inset that has the racing stripes through it, and the racing stripes continued onto the top of the hatch area. I’m not sure on procuring these stickers, so I am letting it be known I have them.

    Step 1: Wash entire vehicle with Dawn Ultra liquid detergent
    Step 2: Rinse thoroughly
    Step 3: Dry entire vehicle with a DF Concours Towel
    Step 4: Apply Z-AIO to entire vehicle (Is there a waiting time after application before removing??)
    Step 5: Remove Z-AIO with DF Concours Towel
    Step 6: Apply Z-5 Pro, Spray Z-6 Gloss enhancer on the applicator before polishing with the Z-5 Pro
    Step 7: Let polish dry on vehicle (approx. 30 min) depending on weather
    Step 8: Buff off Z-5 Pro polish with a DF Concours Towel
    Step 9: Apply Z-6, then immediately buff dry

    Am I missing anything or should I use something other than what I have listed for my specific application?

    Also, once the polish application is applied, for regular washing of the vehicle do you just use the Z-7 Show Car Wash?

    I plan on ordering the following:
    • ZKIT-1
    • Z-AIO All-in-one (doesn’t appear to come in the kit??)
    • DF Concours Towels. Size recommendation on the towels? Med. Or Large?

    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and help.

  2. #2
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    No need to wash with Dawn. I actually don't recommend it.
    Proper polishing will remove any old wax.

    I don't know the steps with Zaino.

  3. #3
    Junior Member slphwk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Rockford,IL.
    Posts
    64

    Black
    94 hawk a4 02 hawk vertm6

    I used a clay bar on my vehicle after the dawn and before the first application of zanio. I have read that the newer Z2 or Z5 thats says pro on it doesn't require the ZFX. When i started i used the ZFX w/Z2 and Z5 to get multiple coats done in one day. Just remember alittle goes along way with zanio. They have tips on their website for use. good luck!

  4. #4
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    OK. I have read the sticky and a lot of threads in here now and I am hoping I have this sequence correct thus I am posting it to get comments before I move forward with actually applying it or purchasing it.

    Goose – If you happen to see this thread, please comment. I have seen your work on here and it is AMAZING!!!

    I have a bright red 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS. Some pics of what I am working with are in my album in my profile. When not driven, it stays in a garage under a car cover. I drive it about 3,000 miles a year on average. It only sees sunny day driving.

    I have noticed recently some swirl marks and one scratch (not really a scratch, but more like a rub mark, dull white in color on the paint that I can’t feel to the touch).

    Being a 35th Anniversary Edition model, it DOES HAVE the racing stripes down the hood, a grille inset that has the racing stripes through it, and the racing stripes continued onto the top of the hatch area. I’m not sure on procuring these stickers, so I am letting it be known I have them.

    Step 1: Wash entire vehicle with Dawn Ultra liquid detergent
    Step 2: Rinse thoroughly
    Step 3: Dry entire vehicle with a DF Concours Towel
    Step 4: Apply Z-AIO to entire vehicle (Is there a waiting time after application before removing??)
    Step 5: Remove Z-AIO with DF Concours Towel
    Step 6: Apply Z-5 Pro, Spray Z-6 Gloss enhancer on the applicator before polishing with the Z-5 Pro
    Step 7: Let polish dry on vehicle (approx. 30 min) depending on weather
    Step 8: Buff off Z-5 Pro polish with a DF Concours Towel
    Step 9: Apply Z-6, then immediately buff dry

    Am I missing anything or should I use something other than what I have listed for my specific application?

    Also, once the polish application is applied, for regular washing of the vehicle do you just use the Z-7 Show Car Wash?

    I plan on ordering the following:
    • ZKIT-1
    • Z-AIO All-in-one (doesn’t appear to come in the kit??)
    • DF Concours Towels. Size recommendation on the towels? Med. Or Large?

    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and help.
    Your steps are correct, but you really should use claybar between steps 3 and 4. Using Z7 after all this is also correct.

  5. #5
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Is it safe to apply to the stickers?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    OK. I have read the sticky and a lot of threads in here now and I am hoping I have this sequence correct thus I am posting it to get comments before I move forward with actually applying it or purchasing it.

    Goose – If you happen to see this thread, please comment. I have seen your work on here and it is AMAZING!!!

    I have a bright red 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS. Some pics of what I am working with are in my album in my profile. When not driven, it stays in a garage under a car cover. I drive it about 3,000 miles a year on average. It only sees sunny day driving.

    I have noticed recently some swirl marks and one scratch (not really a scratch, but more like a rub mark, dull white in color on the paint that I can’t feel to the touch).

    Being a 35th Anniversary Edition model, it DOES HAVE the racing stripes down the hood, a grille inset that has the racing stripes through it, and the racing stripes continued onto the top of the hatch area. I’m not sure on procuring these stickers, so I am letting it be known I have them.

    Step 1: Wash entire vehicle with Dawn Ultra liquid detergent
    Step 2: Rinse thoroughly
    Step 3: Dry entire vehicle with a DF Concours Towel
    Step 4: Apply Z-AIO to entire vehicle (Is there a waiting time after application before removing??)
    Step 5: Remove Z-AIO with DF Concours Towel
    Step 6: Apply Z-5 Pro, Spray Z-6 Gloss enhancer on the applicator before polishing with the Z-5 Pro
    Step 7: Let polish dry on vehicle (approx. 30 min) depending on weather
    Step 8: Buff off Z-5 Pro polish with a DF Concours Towel
    Step 9: Apply Z-6, then immediately buff dry

    Am I missing anything or should I use something other than what I have listed for my specific application?

    Also, once the polish application is applied, for regular washing of the vehicle do you just use the Z-7 Show Car Wash?

    I plan on ordering the following:
    • ZKIT-1
    • Z-AIO All-in-one (doesn’t appear to come in the kit??)
    • DF Concours Towels. Size recommendation on the towels? Med. Or Large?

    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and help.
    For a Zaino application, I think you've done it the right way
    I really don't see anything you may have missed
    Looks all good to me. Post some pics!

    The ZAIO is good. I actually like it. It's a good base to clean the paint and get it ready for the Z5

    PS: Sorry I haven't been around much. I've moved out, had some internet issues, but the detailing is going strong!
    I have a few cars to post yet sometimes this weekend

  7. #7
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Is it safe to apply to the stickers?
    Yes it is. Especially the ZAIO or the Z5 for that matter. Just as long as you apply it on by hand, you should be fine...

  8. #8
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    For a Zaino application, I think you've done it the right way
    I really don't see anything you may have missed
    Looks all good to me. Post some pics!

    The ZAIO is good. I actually like it. It's a good base to clean the paint and get it ready for the Z5

    PS: Sorry I haven't been around much. I've moved out, had some internet issues, but the detailing is going strong!
    I have a few cars to post yet sometimes this weekend
    Awesome. Thanks man. Yeah, will definitely look forward to your posts. I am ordering tomorrow and am making it a next weekend project assuming I get all of my stuff by then. I'll definitely post some pics when I get done.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by slphwk1 View Post
    I used a clay bar on my vehicle after the dawn and before the first application of zanio. I have read that the newer Z2 or Z5 thats says pro on it doesn't require the ZFX. When i started i used the ZFX w/Z2 and Z5 to get multiple coats done in one day. Just remember alittle goes along way with zanio. They have tips on their website for use. good luck!
    I'm not sure if I'm all caught up with the Zaino newest version of the Z2 and Z5, but I believe that by layering ZAIO first you won't have to use any ZFX...

  10. #10
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm all caught up with the Zaino newest version of the Z2 and Z5, but I believe that by layering ZAIO first you won't have to use any ZFX...
    You don't need ZFX at all, its a thing of the past.

  11. #11
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You don't need ZFX at all, its a thing of the past.
    Thanks for the feedback P.

  12. #12
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    I missed it the first time, but I would get a couple mediums and a large one of the DF towels. I use them all the time. It comes in handy having a few of them.

  13. #13
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,747

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You don't need ZFX at all, its a thing of the past.
    Are you sure? I still use it to speed up curing.

  14. #14
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Are you sure? I still use it to speed up curing.
    If you want to put 3 layers of Zaino on in a day, then yes you would need it. It does speed up the cure process and allow for multiple coats in a day(3). If you don't plan to apply multiple coats in a 24 hour period though, its not needed. All the ZFX does is speed up the cure process. Its not needed otherwise.

  15. #15
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,747

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    If you want to put 3 layers of Zaino on in a day, then yes you would need it. It does speed up the cure process and allow for multiple coats in a day(3). If you don't plan to apply multiple coats in a 24 hour period though, its not needed. All the ZFX does is speed up the cure process. Its not needed otherwise.
    Thats what I thought. Just making sure they didn't change something.

  16. #16
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I missed it the first time, but I would get a couple mediums and a large one of the DF towels. I use them all the time. It comes in handy having a few of them.
    Thanks. I ordered all of my stuff on Tuesday so hopefully I will have everything I need to do it this weekend.

  17. #17
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    So I ordered my towels from DF Towels on September 9th and still have not received them. I've also tried contacting them with no response. I am pretty disappointed to say the least. I paid $35 and some change for 4 towels....

    If I don't receive them soon I may have to contact my CC company as I was charged for them the same day I ordered them.

  18. #18
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,747

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    I still have not received mine. Thanks for reminding me to contact them.

  19. #19
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I still have not received mine. Thanks for reminding me to contact them.
    Just curious, when did you order yours?

    Are these towels normally a long lead-time item?

    I received my Zaino products within a few days of ordering

  20. #20
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,747

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Oh crap. I ordered mine on Aug 6th.

    Last time I ordered them I had to call. They were delayed too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: wax and polish??
    By reaper ws6 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:07 AM
  2. scariest article I have read in a long time
    By 98MustGT in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 11:23 PM
  3. First time home buyers MUST READ THIS...
    By Firehawk1120 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 05:26 AM
  4. is it ok polish/wax?
    By craig02ta in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •