Thread: Engine Cleaning

Pewter
    '00 SS

Engine Cleaning

I have my first car show of my own coming up in a couple of weeks. My question is, what is the best way to clean my engine and engine bay? Just degrease, rinse and dry? Also, is it really hard to rinse around the electrical components?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    I have my first car show of my own coming up in a couple of weeks. My question is, what is the best way to clean my engine and engine bay? Just degrease, rinse and dry? Also, is it really hard to rinse around the electrical components?
    I normally use degreaser. use a scrubbing brush in hard to reach areas. When you are going to rinse off spray water lightly but don't soak it. I'm sure other will chime in with products that they use.

Pewter
    '00 SS

thanks. all info is gonna help

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10810

Sticky from up top, lots of good info in there.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

The condition of the engine bay will dictate how you want to tackle it.
    Not always you have to use the rinse method.
    If you get yourself the right tools, you coud do it all by hand.
    It's challenging, but enjoyable

Try to get some cheap painter's brushes like 1" wide and one double its size.
    A toothbrush is also pretty handy.
    Get some gloves, safety glasses if desired, and some MF Towels or Terry Towels.
    You could use Simple green at full strength or diluted, it depends...
    Oh, and an air hose will be dandy!

nbm
    02 camaro ss

spray that thing with degreaser and get you a brush and some good soap. wouldnt worry about electrical components if car is in good shape.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sscamaross02 View Post
    spray that thing with degreaser and get you a brush and some good soap. wouldnt worry about electrical components if car is in good shape.
    just be careful if you have polished aluminum or chrome. Leaving the degreaser too long WILL stain it. Ask me why...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Use aluminum foil to cover electrical components.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

if you wanna take off alot of gunk, simple green that mofo, and take a bristled rim brush (i found works well) to get it good and worked in and rinse off... you will be impressed

nbm
    02 camaro ss

very true... it will leave streaks. if you leave the degreaser on too long sometimes youll have to take a good wax to get it off chrome.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

just make sure the engine is running while spraying water on it,I used awesome on my first LS1 car,its a degreaser,you can get it from family dollar,I also use,a toothbrush and a water hose,it might sound crazy but I even used easy off oven cleaner not on my first or second LS1 cars,but when I used the oven cleaner on my LT1,3100 v6 & 3400 v6 it really,really cleaned those engines really good I also used on my wife engine last week the result was terrific!

I use simple green as well, then a gentle rinse with a garden hose. I try not to spray directly on top of the intake or on the computer by the cowl (although they generally do get a little wet), but everything else is fair game.

Not to spook ya, but I have heard horror stories of injector seals leaking, and allowing water into the cylinder, which then hydrolocks the engine. I've never personally had any issues with that after several washings on 3 different Fbodies however. I can't help but wonder if an injector seal would let water pass, then that also should be a large vacuum leak, which in turn should be a poor running car to begin with and would have been detected before hand.....Just thinking outloud here.

Happy cleaning

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    just make sure the engine is running while spraying water on it,I used awesome on my first LS1 car,its a degreaser,you can get it from family dollar,I also use,a toothbrush and a water hose,it might sound crazy but I even used easy off oven cleaner not on my first or second LS1 cars,but when I used the oven cleaner on my LT1,3100 v6 & 3400 v6 it really,really cleaned those engines really good I also used on my wife last week the result was terrific!
    couldnt help myself lol

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sscamaross02 View Post
    very true... it will leave streaks. if you leave the degreaser on too long sometimes youll have to take a good wax to get it off chrome.
    mine got streaks so bad that I had to use a household green sponge to scrub them out and repolish. I might have to cover up the chrome area and do them by hand.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Heavily diluted degreaser, keeps the aluminum looking good. I used a rag on mine and took plenty of time on it.be real careful not to wet the alternator, cover it if possible. If you wanna get more into it you could do what I did and tear the front end off, really allows you to get in there and clean all the crap out.

Here's some pics when I was doing mine if your interested, just scroll down for the pics

Heavily diluted degreaser, keeps the aluminum looking good. I used a rag on mine and took plenty of time on it.be real careful not to wet the alternator, cover it if possible. If you wanna get more into it you could do what I did and tear the front end off, really allows you to get in there and clean all the crap out.

Here's some pics when I was doing mine if your interested, just scroll down for the pics
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...=151635&page=4

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think that's my mistake. I don't dilute the degreaser. I'll give that a shot next time I clean the engine.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Just use DAWN dishwater soap, its mild and a degreaser and you can just rinse it off and your done.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Just use DAWN dishwater soap, its mild and a degreaser and you can just rinse it off and your done.
    I will give that a try, thanks.

Pewter
    99 Z/28

i used engine brite and cd2. came out really good. drove it to car wash down the street, engine was warm, sprayed on, hosed off sprayed cd 2 done!

blue
    1999 TransAm

hey guys, has anyone used krudkutter degreaser to clean inside the engine bay? i picked it up because it specifically said it did not contain any petroleum solvents,... i've heard that petroleum-based products can be harmful/dryout rubber hoses, etc...? are there preferred products to use that won't affect rubber?

Thread Information