Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty car.

Dusty car.

Hi all,

After only a couple of days in the garage, my car gets a little dusty. Is there a product that can be used to clean up dust like an aerosol one for a house, that won't mark the paint work?

I know a dust sheet would be better (I will get one eventually), but until then I'd like something easier than getting the hosepipe out every few days.

Thanks guys.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

I use PoorBoys products and I use spray and gloss from poorboys and a clean microfiber and I have not washed my car in two yrs and its perfect for dust removal. garage clean that gets dusty alot

Sent while being stroked.
    02 Black Trans Am Firehawk #1079.Lots bolt ons, NOS
    Just one nasty chicken!!!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can also use a California Duster. Just be sure to get the original one which has a wooden handle.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Mothers makes a "Quick Detailer" spray cleaner & polish. I use it with microfiber cloth. Just like Naper, I have never washed my WS6. Sometimes after I use the Mothers I will then use the "Eagle One Superior Nano Wax. It is also a spray but it is strictly for shine and protection. I have never used any paste wax on my car. From new it's always been garaged, covered and compulsively cleaned. IMO certain waxes, not polishes, will build up a film and actually take some of the brilliance out of your cars surface. Polishes and Glazes don't do that.
    I also have a "Blaster Blower/Dryer" that I use to blow off surface dust before cleaning. Also open the doors and rear hatch and blow out the entire interior. All the embedded crap comes out of the carpets and seat stitching. Take cars out of the garage and blow off the floors. Works better than any old shop vac.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You can also use a California Duster. Just be sure to get the original one which has a wooden handle.
    Any ideas on the differences between the plastic and wood handled versions?
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    If I had to guess, the plastic handle may build a static charge pick up dust and redeposit it on the car.

Could be the knock off uses a crapy head that could scratch or swirl your finish.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    If I had to guess, the plastic handle may build a static charge pick up dust and redeposit it on the car.

Could be the knock off uses a crapy head that could scratch or swirl your finish.
    This is what I've heard. I ordered mine on Amazon. Was like $25 if I recall correctly.

There's some good suggestions here, thanks guys.

Here is AZ you are always fighting dust.

I have a couple of the California dusters but I only prefer to use those if the dust is excessive. They use a perifian (I think that's how you say it) wax on them to pickup the dust,,,and it leaves the wax behind on your car (can't see it). But that sticky wax actually attracts more dust at a much faster rate, so you'll find yourself using it more often.

What I like to do (and I use Jax Wax products) is a spray detailer that I spray lightly on a micro fiber towel and gently wipe the car (just as others suggested). If the car is noticably dusty, I'll hit it with the California Duster first to knock the majority off,,,,then I go back over the car with a spray mist detailer and micro fiber towel for a nice shine, and it removes any of that sticky perifian wax left behind from the duster, and it also keeps my towels from getting dirty so fast.

I find the car stays dust free for a longer period of time with the fiber towel spray mist method.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I leave the dust till the next wash. Wiping excessive dust off you may as well be rubbing sand on the car. I wash mine then put the Covercraft car cover on it inside the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I leave the dust till the next wash. Wiping excessive dust off you may as well be rubbing sand on the car. I wash mine then put the Covercraft car cover on it inside the garage.
    That wouldn't work out here, you can't drive around the block without covering the car with dust

You would literally be washing the car daily. Not sure about you but I don't like to get the car wet "that" much, so dusting in between keeps the washing to a minimum.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you have an air compressor you could always pull it out of your garage and hit it with compressed air too.

I had done that a handfull of times with my 01 Camaro when I had her.

Worked pretty good. Does'nt "clean" it but it knocks off any heavy stuff.

Self defeating if you do it inside though.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Here is AZ you are always fighting dust.

I have a couple of the California dusters but I only prefer to use those if the dust is excessive. They use a perifian (I think that's how you say it) wax on them to pickup the dust,,,and it leaves the wax behind on your car (can't see it). But that sticky wax actually attracts more dust at a much faster rate, so you'll find yourself using it more often.

What I like to do (and I use Jax Wax products) is a spray detailer that I spray lightly on a micro fiber towel and gently wipe the car (just as others suggested). If the car is noticably dusty, I'll hit it with the California Duster first to knock the majority off,,,,then I go back over the car with a spray mist detailer and micro fiber towel for a nice shine, and it removes any of that sticky perifian wax left behind from the duster, and it also keeps my towels from getting dirty so fast.

I find the car stays dust free for a longer period of time with the fiber towel spray mist method.
    This is what I do every time I drive my car.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I use the california duster and then go over it with a quick detailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    If you have an air compressor you could always pull it out of your garage and hit it with compressed air too.

I had done that a handfull of times with my 01 Camaro when I had her.

Worked pretty good. Does'nt "clean" it but it knocks off any heavy stuff.

Self defeating if you do it inside though.
    I do that once in a while, great for the engine compartment to get into the nooks and crannies. Amazing how dusty even the engine compartment gets around here.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i am use a cover but at shows like the ta nat where is there for a few days i have the cali duster as well the trick is to just barly let it sit on the paint dont set it on there like a micro fiber and them speed shine with micro fiber. i like the compressed air for the engine bay but thats it if you use it around the out side of the car it can hurt the wether striping and what not

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i am use a cover but at shows like the ta nat where is there for a few days i have the cali duster as well the trick is to just barly let it sit on the paint dont set it on there like a micro fiber and them speed shine with micro fiber. i like the compressed air for the engine bay but thats it if you use it around the out side of the car it can hurt the wether striping and what not
    Turn your regulator down..

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Yes I know that to I'm just still not a fan of comp air I like to stick what I know works

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I use the yard blower to dry mine

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Pull it out of the garage, rinse and dry with a 100% cotton Made in the USA towel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information