sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Dirt/sand in engine bay

I have a 2001 WS6 Ram Air. I clean and vacuum it out every week. Once a month I take it to the car wash to wash the engine bay because the engine bay seems to collect a lot of dirt. I live in Portsmouth and commute to Virginia Beach Va 5 days a week. You would think I drove it on the beach with all of the sand and dirt. I know its ram air, but do any of you guys/gals engine bays get dirty like this as well? I am sure you do and its a dumb question, but when I open the hood and see it it just drives me nuts. I don't spray the anything in their to attract more dirt either. Its just one of those things and if that's the only complaint I have it is a good day.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm going to move this to the detailing section. Maybe some of those guys can give you some pointers.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I guess it has a lot to do with where you live. Don't go pressure washing it.

Mine doesn't but I don't drive my cars that much so that's probably why. Since your in Hampton Roads, be sure and check out www.hrfbody.com for local fbody events, gatherings, cruises, shows, etc...
    Travis
    1992 25th Anniversary Heritage Edition RS Convert
    2002 35th Anniversary Limited Edition SS

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Are you missing any rubber trim/seals?
    Not sure on Fbodies but all new vettes have a rubber trim to seal the engine from dust around the fenders...

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

When I go to the coast with my firehawk I always have sand in my engine bay too so NO, your not the only one. In fact we have a big show down here once a year (http://www.cruisinthecoast.com/) and I always warn people about the sand, my car is now covered in the garage and this is one of the chores I need to go do, either take my air hose and blow it all out or vacuum it out, likely use the air hose. Its not in my air box mind you it just gets all over the engine bay area, like dust.

BTW-I suggest against pressure washing your engine, too many electrical connections in your engine bay and its works just as good with some degreaser and a no nozzle garden hose once your engine is clean, followed by, again, your trusty air hose to blow the water away or a leaf blower....IMHO.
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 12-23-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

No missing seals and thanks for the tips. When I pressure wash the motor I don't go full blast hitting everything with water. I stay away from electrical wires spray on the top of the motor, battery, underside of the hood and cal area. Then I take it on a good drive to evaporate the remaining water. The wash is only 3 blocks away so I drive it there slow but steady so I don't heat up the engine bay. My temp gauge reads below 100 degrees before I even get to the wash.

Thread Information