Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Detailed a 2001 Black NHRA Formula

Stopped by my friend Steve Sunday morning to take a look at his car to do some paint correction and polish

The Process

-Washed the car using the two-bucket method, Duragloss Car Wash and Wash Mitt
    -Claybar with Clay Magic
    -Polished out swirls with Menzerna PO85RD3.02
    -Followed up with Red Moose Machine Glaze
    -Topped with Victoria Concours Wax (I applied this wax by hand; as bare hands!)
    -Rejex Paint Sealant on front nose, bumper, and bottom skirts
    -Cleaned polished rims with Jeff Werkstatt Prime
    -Dressed tires with Poorboys Natural Look rubber, vinyl, leather cleaner
    -Windows cleaned with Stoners Invisible Glass, and topped with Detaling Dynamics Liquid Gloss Spray

After washing the car, I took a look to see what I had to work with. Here's what I found:

BEFORE:

At this point I'm like; "well Steve, I think I need to call in sick on this one"
    Having seen the damage, I got my PC and my Sonus Swirl Buster Orange Pads ready. It was time to send Menzerna to the rescue!
    After initially working the menz with my orange pads at 6 on most severe areas, I knew it wasn't going to be too bad --it was doable. I had faith in my PO85RD3.02; this product Rocks! there's not two ways about it. Paired with the Sonus Swirl Buster Orange Pad, and you'll be in for a treat. It's crazy, I have a litre of PO85RD that I'm yet to use for the first time. I can work the 3.02 on my last set with decreased pressure -same orange pad- to finish LSP ready

These are the results...

AFTERS:

Last edited by Z06-Goose; 04-17-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Black
    1999 Z28

You do great work Goose.

That makes me have hope in getting all of the swirls out of my paint.

Where do you purchase your polishing/buffing stuff?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy View Post
    You do great work Goose.

That makes me have hope in getting all of the swirls out of my paint.

Where do you purchase your polishing/buffing stuff?
    Thank you!
    I bought my Buffer from Autogeek along with some pads. It came as a kit.
    The products I use, most have been bought in Europe

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

Wow. How bout I pay for you to fly into Peoria, Illinois and you come detail my car. I'll pay you of course... Those before pictures remind me so much of my car its sad... I've even used Zaino... Never looks like those afters... What the hell can I do?

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by cww17 View Post
    Wow. How bout I pay for you to fly into Peoria, Illinois and you come detail my car. I'll pay you of course... Those before pictures remind me so much of my car its sad... I've even used Zaino... Never looks like those afters... What the hell can I do?
    Thanks. I appreciate the kind words
    The key is in the preparation of the paint. Zaino is a superb product, but it will be a moot point if the paint has not been properly worked on.
    Luckily for you Zaino fans, they now have Z-AIO which is an "All-In-One" product, and their ZPC Fusion polish you can use to prep for Zaino

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

would you be willing to do a step by step of exactly what to do... i know you kind of already did but you bounce around a bit... I can follow a step by step and would love a finish like that!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

would you be willing to do a step by step of exactly what to do... i know you kind of already did but you bounce around a bit... I can follow a step by step and would love a finish like that!
    Tell me what you've got material wise, products, equipment, etc...and I'll do it later today. I need to do a C6 Vette today...

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

well, after this ive looked into a PC, seeing as how thats the only real way to remove swirls... not too bad price wise on ebay... i think i would stick to zaino products, but im willing to buy anything you suggest...

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

well, after this ive looked into a PC, seeing as how thats the only real way to remove swirls... not too bad price wise on ebay... i think i would stick to zaino products, but im willing to buy anything you suggest...
    To be honest with you, the only way to truly remove swirls is by machine. With that said, there are still a few products you can try by hand;

3M 39002 Polish or
    Autoglym SRP

Follow up with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
    The 3M Imperial Hand Glaze contains no wax or silicone, and should be topped with your favorite wax or sealant for added protection

Napa carries 3M products. Check your local stores

Work the product in with a cotton applicator on small square sections of ~1' at a time in a back and forth motion. Work the polish in until it becomes translucent (breaks down) -remove, check your work, and repeat as needed-

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

Well I'm already looking into a PC on ebay as we speak... So assuming I get one and I'm going to buy Z-PC, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7, and Z-8... What should my plan of attack be? I'm going to wash the car Z-7(2 bucket method), Z-18 Claybar... Then PC it with Z-PC, How many times would you recommend doing assuming my car looks about the same as the one posted above? Also would you recommend pairing Zaino Products with Red Moose Machine Glaze because it is specifically for dark finishes? Maybe hit it first with Z-PC then Red Moose? Also should I apply the Z-2 and Z-5 with the PC? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the help!

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

looks good man i need to do the same if the weather would ever stay good for more than two days

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

Nice, got anymore full body pics?

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

here are more photos of the car after goose was done

Last edited by Scanlamp; 04-25-2007 at 02:36 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Great job!!!!! You are the detail master!!!! How long did it take to do that car?-just so I know if I am spending enough time on mine. Thanks

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    Great job!!!!! You are the detail master!!!! How long did it take to do that car?-just so I know if I am spending enough time on mine. Thanks
    Thank you! I just do this as a hobby. Far from being a pro
    I can easily spend a lot of time detailing a car
    I tend to get carried away, and keep on going if they let me
    On this one though, I started at around 10:30am with a good wash, and I believe I finished by almost 7pm polishing and waxing
    I came back next day to work on the trims, going thru the car making sure I had everything covered, and finished applying sealant on the bumpers and bottom side skirts for maybe another hour or so
    2007 Audi RS 4

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

You can really tell you took your time. I looked at those before/after pictures and thats really beautiful! I bet you friend was very happy. I only thought my car looked good!! Could you explain how to use the clay bar?? Also what is clay majic and where can I get these these from??
    Thanks

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    You can really tell you took your time. I looked at those before/after pictures and thats really beautiful! I bet you friend was very happy. I only thought my car looked good!! Could you explain how to use the clay bar?? Also what is clay majic and where can I get these these from??
    Thanks
    You can get claymagic just about at any local parts store; NAPA, Autozone, etc... Clay Magic is the brand name for the clay bar
    The lube that comes with it is excellent. I believe the kit costs under 15 bucks

What I do is halve the claybay, keep the other half wrapped in its plastic. Take the other half and run it thru some warm/hot water to make it more pliable

Knead the clay as thin as you can to cup into your four fingers while using your thumb to keep it in place until you lay it over the surface. You want the area to be as clean as possible, so that the claybar will only pull truly embedded particles, and not dirt that shouldn't've been there in the first place

Spray some lube liberally on the area you're going to clay. Move the clay in a back and forth motion with just the weight of the claybar on a 12" or so area. Apply a little pressure when needed. It will feel like sanding when it's grabbing. Continue to work the area until the claybar sort of glides. While you do this, examine the surface of the claybar often for little debris

Fold the clay bar to reveal a clean side and move on to the next 12" working area. Repeat as you go. You always want two clean sides, knead/fold to reveal a clean side

A tip for you, anytime you fold/knead the claybar, do it -if at all possible- over the car, so that if you drop it, it will land on the car, and not on the ground. Once it hits the ground, it's pretty much toasted.
    Use lots of lube, keep it lubed and moving

Periodically, run warm water to help kneading the clay, and wash some of the contaminants away. Always check for palpable debris while kneading

When done, if still useable, run more hot water, knead it to check its condition, spray with lube, and put away until next time
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 04-26-2007 at 01:46 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thanks alot that really helps me out. I am gonna try it next time I detail my car. You mentioned before that smooth paint or clean paint is the key to a good detailing job. That makes sense to me. I will let you know how it goes and take some pics. Thanks again!!!

Thread Information