Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Dash faded after cleaning

I cleaned the car last week and put it up until the weekend. I pulled it out Friday and Saturday in the sunlight I noticed the dash looked funny. It had a greyish tint. I cleaned it with Black Magic Pro Shine Protectant. It says on the bottle for vinyls, leather, rubber and plastics. I wont use it ever again, but...how can I get my dash back to it's natural color. I grabbed a bottle of Armor-All and re cleaned the dash. It looked to mostly come out but there were a few places that stayed discolored. I have a feeling the entire dash will be just like it was as the Armor-All drys. Ideas?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think it is Mothers that has a "Back to Black" (or something named close to that) product that I have applied on exterior trim pieces. Not sure about using it on a dash though.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, it's Mothers. I used it on the plastic piece under the wiper blades (what is that called?) and it worked pretty good.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

My guess is that you probably have a case of product contamination.
    Perhaps the product reacted to something already on the dash.
    To be safe, or to know better next time, try to get water-based products instead of silicone.

You could dilute a little bit of Woolite on a small spray bottle maybe a tablespoon and some microfiber towels to clean.
    Get a tub or bowl with hot water to rinse and wring your towel. Use the warm/hot towel to wipe down the surface after you've worked the Woolite mix in

If possible, do this with a boar hair brush

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I'll be trying the woolite thing I guess. Any recommendations on the mixture? I tablespoon to how much water or what size spray bottle?

I'll remember to check for water based stuff from now on. I knew to check for it being vinyl safe but man...I never thought anything else.

Thanks for the help.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Goose to the rescue! You've only layered products on top of dirt, not actually cleaned anything. I'm not familiar enough with woolite but basically you're just making a gentle soap and water mixture so that you can complete remove the layers of crap. You could use dawn and a scrubbing brush. Just dont' be afraid to make the dash sudsy and wet. have a wiping towel handy to remove everything.
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 11-08-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    I'll be trying the woolite thing I guess. Any recommendations on the mixture? I tablespoon to how much water or what size spray bottle?

I'll remember to check for water based stuff from now on. I knew to check for it being vinyl safe but man...I never thought anything else.

Thanks for the help.
    About a tsp per 32oz.
    you can play it by feel. Start with a little bit. Ad more until you get the results you want.
    Woolite is not going to damage anything, you just don't want to make too much "soapy water"

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    My guess is that you probably have a case of product contamination.
    Perhaps the product reacted to something already on the dash.
    To be safe, or to know better next time, try to get water-based products instead of silicone.
    I have heard mixing products can be bad as well.

I also have heard negative things about Armorall, so I have never used it on TA, and I haven't heard anyone recommend their products too often either.

I agree with goose and TSS, especially when switching products, you should try and remove an existing product left over. Every time I purchase a vehicle (used of course) I get the dash nice and clean before any of the detail product goes on and I stick to that product for a while.

I used this recently and am extremely happy with the results. Both in the TA and the Jeep (Jeep sees much more sun abuse than the TA).

I actually noticed a huge difference from this product compared to most of the other basic products available at the chain stores.

I also, being an amateur at detailing, stick to Meguiar's for all of my interior needs for all of my vehicles.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

our dashes are not supposed to sprayed with anything that shines it is made with anti glare in mind.Just a little soap and water thats all.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I use Mothers Back to Black on all of my exterior plastic and rubber (engine bay). The interior only gets Zaino.

Thread Information